Crossbow Nation banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a sniper 370,and have have the original fixed 4x scope on it .I will be hunting this year from a ground blind ,and I figure I will be shooting 20-25 yards.I definitly won't be shooting further,but possibly closer..I lined the bow up on the upper horizontal crosshair with hypodermics at 20 yards,and shot a few at 25,and there was little to no difference..If I do happen to get a shot at one 8-10 yards away will I need to aim high,low,or dead on..Thanks

·
Registered
10,835 Posts
All my bows from 315 fps thru 435 fps will shoot 10 yards basically the same as 20 yards. They might be off 1/2" at best. Thus I would just aim where I want my arrow to hit and pull the trigger.

·
Registered
931 Posts
Depends on how high the scope is mounted, and what yardage you're sighting it in at. Somewhere in the 7-10 yrd range your arrow is crossing the Line-of-Sight and it would be dead on the crosshair. Then the arrow rises above the LoS and then arcs back down to your sight-in distance.

The best advice would be to shoot an arrow at 5,10,15, and 20 yds so you'll know the hold over, or under.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

·
9,002 Posts
I have a sniper 370,and have have the original fixed 4x scope on it .I will be hunting this year from a ground blind ,and I figure I will be shooting 20-25 yards.I definitly won't be shooting further,but possibly closer..I lined the bow up on the upper horizontal crosshair with hypodermics at 20 yards,and shot a few at 25,and there was little to no difference..If I do happen to get a shot at one 8-10 yards away will I need to aim high,low,or dead on..Thanks
Your … arrow is 2-1/2" below your scope crosshairs so when you get close shots keep that in mind. I've brain shot deer with a rifle at 5-7 yards and the crosshairs were over it's head! My suggestion is to TEST where you're hitting at 5 yards, 10 yards and 15 yards so you KNOW what to expect!

·
Registered
13,334 Posts
Depends on how high the scope is mounted, and what yardage you're sighting it in at. Somewhere in the 7-10 yrd range your arrow is crossing the Line-of-Sight and it would be dead on the crosshair. Then the arrow rises above the LoS and then arcs back down to your sight-in distance.

The best advice would be to shoot an arrow at 5,10,15, and 20 yds so you'll know the hold over, or under.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
I agree. It's what I do.;)

Reactions: dynamo61 and Jeb

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
Yep! Test it at any yardage you might take shot. 30 to 40 yards is within the reach of the Sniper provided the Indian is accurate. Learn the distances of the 2nd and 3rd lower cross hairs.

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
I owned a Sniper two years ago. It seems like while using 400gr arrows and zero at 20 yards for the top crosshair was good. Then 2nd crosshair was ok for 30 yards while 3rd crosshair was like 38 yards. I also remember there was POI scatter due to the lower quality of arrows but not so bad to miss a deer kill zone at closer ranges. One always needs to confirm these things to have confidence in the shot.

·
Registered
3,531 Posts
Shoot it at that distance and know for sure!

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
Shoot it at that distance and know for sure!
Yeah! Ask yourself if a buck of a lifetime provides a ideal shot angle at 33 yards and you didn't know how to take the shot. How could you bear it?

Reactions: Jeb and dynamo61

·
9,002 Posts

·
Registered
9,364 Posts
Your … arrow is 2-1/2" below your scope crosshairs so when you get close shots keep that in mind. I've brain shot deer with a rifle at 5-7 yards and the crosshairs were over it's head! My suggestion is to TEST where you're hitting at 5 yards, 10 yards and 15 yards so you KNOW what to expect!
Yes. I shoot my bows through the Chrono a lot in the basement somewhere around 7-8 yards usually. With bows that shoot 325-390 fps. I usually aim high with the 20 yard ret to hit a 1/2" dot. Using what I would for 25 yards. At 15 yards I may need to aim a little low with the 20 yard ret. Best thing to do is test like Duke says.

A lot of hunters know where their arrows will hit at 20 -40 yards. Some dont have clue where they'll hit at 1-15 yards and wonder how they missed the slam dunk shot!

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
I know my almost zero range well from shooting at about 15 feet in my garage. Aim about 2" high! 🏹 🎯 (y)

Reactions: Stalker and Jeb
1 - 13 of 13 Posts