Crossbow Nation banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
698 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Plant Plant community Black-and-white Tree Fawn
When I went over to change chips in the cameras this morning these guys were passing through. The deer on the right I believe is 4 1/2 at the outside and maybe 3 1/2. The deer on the left has 50 pounds on the other and is 5 1/2 or more. The deer on the right may well be the son of the one on the left. The snow plow in the background is an 8 footer for scale. Both of them are long, tall deer, but that pig on the the left is wider and deeper in the body with a bigger head on him. The one on the right is a pretty 12 pointer, and may get himself shot if when the time comes I make him to be 3 1/2 instead of 4 1/2. The other one isn't going to make it to my plate unless for some reason I come up with a need for a lot of sausage in the next two weeks. There are two more 2 1/2 year old 8 pointers with scrawny racks that come through pretty regular that will get shot in a heart beat if they show up when I am in the window above and to the right. They are both probably sons of the big guy on the left and may be twins. The deer I really want though is a cow horned spiker that's 1 1/2 and already almost the size of porky on the left. Porky will probably dress out 250 ish in a few more weeks. From the pictures I have gotten, the spiker is every bit as tall and long as porky may well be about that weight come November. Plant Plant community Black-and-white Tree Fawn
Plant Plant community Black-and-white Tree Fawn

·
Registered
698 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'll let you know what days I have available to assist in harvesting one of those. Heck I'm not too far in WI. Lol
I am almost 75. I am particular about what I eat. If I thought my neighbors would be OK with it I'd bring you with. I don't need horns. I am pretty certain porky will not be good to eat. Like I said in the post, there are three other bucks ahead of those two in the line to get shot. I have seen a few 300 pounders in the neighborhood over the years I have lived here, but I quit shooting big deer like that about 50 years ago. Mostly they're just awful to eat compared to young deer.

12 pointer might be only 3 1/2 with good horns genes and if he looks like that through the scope, he might get shot. most of these deer die on the highway. It's a shame, but that's life for neighborhood deer. Maybe not for those two, they were just standing around in broad daylight when I drove up to change the chips in the cameras. They might go somewhere where somebody will shoot one of 'em if they stand around like that.
I had another 12 two years ago that had a prettier rack than this guy, I looked at him very careful for ten minutes or so through the scope trying to convince myself he'd eat good and decided that a doe would be a lot better choice. I found him in the ditch by the highway the next July.

Most of our deer here are much more like porky, big body and crappy rack.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I’m in Pine County near Duxbury. The bucks I’ve been seeing so far this year are small. Spikes and forks. There are a few nice 10 points lurking around the area, but I haven’t seen them on my property… yet. Some mighty nice large does hanging in my woods, and they taste just as good.

·
Registered
698 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I shot a 5-1/2 year old Sherburne county buck last year. Tasted just fine.
Been there done that. But even then, one that tastes just fine doesn't eat like a 1 1/2 year old deer. They will be coarser and tougher by and large.

Where I am, I can shoot 3, and my wife who won't shoot one, will go with and sit there with me to shoot 3 more. There is no shortage of deer available to put in the freezer, and I only have a request for one for someone else. If I have to look at them three times over before I decide whether or not to pull the trigger, I don't mind if those deer wander off and they're not bleeding. It's those nice well fleshed deer that I know are 1 1/2 years old that I really hate to see walk away. Those are the deer that make me spend a lot of money on equipment to make sure I don't have to see that sorrowful sight of a tasty deer walking off.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Been there done that. But even then, one that tastes just fine doesn't eat like a 1 1/2 year old deer. They will be coarser and tougher by and large.

Where I am, I can shoot 3, and my wife who won't shoot one, will go with and sit there with me to shoot 3 more. There is no shortage of deer available to put in the freezer, and I only have a request for one for someone else. If I have to look at them three times over before I decide whether or not to pull the trigger, I don't mind if those deer wander off and they're not bleeding. It's those nice well fleshed deer that I know are 1 1/2 years old that I really hate to see walk away. Those are the deer that make me spend a lot of money on equipment to make sure I don't have to see that sorrowful sight of a tasty deer walking off.
I’m in zone 159. I can only shoot one.😫

·
Registered
1,341 Posts

You definitely have a more sensitive pallet than anyone in my family. We can easily tell a timely and well cared for processed deer, compared to one that was not. But have never really been able to tell any difference between a 1-1/2 year old (yearling) doe and a 5-1/2 year old buck, as long as they were cared for and cut up the same. And we don't use the garbage "combine it all" processors.

We weigh every single buck we shoot. Since 1970's and literally hundreds of bucks across multiple farms from Sherburne to Wadena county and some in between, the heaviest ever field dressed buck we weighed was 237 lbs. And just one or two in the 230's and a couple in the 220's. Have weighed a bunch of yearling bucks, though not in recent years, and the heaviest of those we ever managed to cross paths with was 155 lb dressed.

Hope you get to fill all 6 available tags this year. I am in a similar scenario with tags. And wish my grampa was as still into hunting as you are at 75.

·
Registered
698 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
@miles58 if you do shoot Porky, please post a picture of him dressed out and hanging on the scale. and especially if you get a spike like you are describing, weighing nearly the same.
There is no chance I will shoot porky, unless it is some sort of freak accident like if he comes through already wounded. If the twelver comes through and convinces me that he's only 3 1/2 I'll put him on a scale and you can guess how much more porky would weigh. The spiker will for certain go on the scale do I get him . Pictures too, he has some cow horn curved spikes that have some body to them

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
There is no chance I will shoot porky, unless it is some sort of freak accident like if he comes through already wounded. If the twelver comes through and convinces me that he's only 3 1/2 I'll put him on a scale and you can guess how much more porky would weigh. The spiker will for certain go on the scale do I get him . Pictures too, he has some cow horn curved spikes that have some body to them
Yeah sorry I mixed up Porky with the other buck you said you'd shoot. Good luck this season.

·
Registered
698 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
Hope you get to fill all 6 available tags this year. I am in a similar scenario with tags. And wish my grampa was as still into hunting as you are at 75.
I come from a deer killing family. I have eaten deer from the time I could eat solid food and from at least 20 different tables. God only knows how many different deer those meals came from. Take chops from a fawn. a yearling doe, and a 5 1/2 year old deer and if you can't tell which one that meat came from, something ain't right.

I will not shoot more than three. I still have the better part of the whole cuts from doe that I have just started eating in September. So, two will do me plus the one I have been asked for for a total of three. It has taken a little over ten years, but I have finally got the deer in this half section neighborhood down to reasonable numbers. If I kill two or three does and maybe a buck that'll do, and I may not have to shoot any more next year. The first years were discouraging. Shoot four of the big does that drop 2 or 3 fawns come June an you don't seem to get ahead even with the cars killing two dozen per year. That sucks when you put an 8 foot high electric fence around the garden and the bastards knock it down and eat EVERYTHING right down to bare ground.

I wish your gramps still had the itch too. We are losing more hunters every year and situations like here with overpopulations are only going to get worse. Too many of the people who don't hunt and are worried about letting someone hunt their land or go onto it to recover a deer make controlling those populations next to impossible.

Edited to fix bad typing

·
Registered
698 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I’m in Pine County near Duxbury. The bucks I’ve been seeing so far this year are small. Spikes and forks. There are a few nice 10 points lurking around the area, but I haven’t seen them on my property… yet. Some mighty nice large does hanging in my woods, and they taste just as good.
I used to hunt 159 south of you and north of the park. Wasn't that long ago that you could shoot 5 and had a 2 deer early antlerless and the park was separate.

·
Registered
698 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Yeah sorry I mixed up Porky with the other buck you said you'd shoot. Good luck this season.
Yeah, those other two eights are much smaller, maybe 170 pounds if I were generous guessing. Spiker will outweigh both of them. I didn't get but one picture of him, and it wasn't all that great. I have seen really old deer with spike/fork racks that could be mistaken for younger deer in a crappy trail cam pic. Seems to me that he came through with other bucks and maybe he's just old and smart enough not to crowd the others and get his butt kicked.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I used to hunt 159 south of you and north of the park. Wasn't that long ago that you could shoot 5 and had a 2 deer early antlerless and the park was separate.
I bought this place in the spring of 2018. 2017 firearms season was bucks only, antler less lottery. By the time fall rolled around it was hunters choice, but one and done. Where I moved from, near the Mille Lacs and Sherburne county line was hunters choice, one and done and now is 3 deer limit. I’m 7 miles up 22 from the park.

·
Registered
698 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
The last time I hunted up Fleming Logging Road was back in the sixties and deer were very few and far between in that area then, and there were no wolves in the area at all then. During the time when 159 was a 5 deer limit there was a lot of wolves. We had a few deer killed within a couple hundred yards of the cabin. Lots of bears too. I think it was about 2008 when we had a 5 deer limit, an early antlerless for 2 in October and like I said the park was separate and I think we could take two in the park on top of that. I was quite happy with that situation, I quit shooting anything but fawns for a few years. It was pretty normal to see 10-20 deer from the stand most days and some days a lot more.

·
Registered
Excalibur Vortex 330, Centerpoint Sniper 370, Centerpoint Patriot 425
16,870 Posts
Hope you get a shot at 'em.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts