Crossbow Nation banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Retired
1,552 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
very sharp corners gona eat servings, need that radius to give forgiveness to the servings
The black eagle aluminum half moon has the same corners and it works fine. But it's a first prototype. I haven't had one in my hand to test yet so it's likely that corner will become a radius

·
Registered
309 Posts
That looks a lot like the nock Grim designed about 5 or 6 years ago but yours still latches onto the string, where his attached like a ball and socket would.
I don't believe he did anything with his designs but is there any money to be had with such small items?

·
Retired
1,552 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That looks a lot like the nock Grim designed about 5 or 6 years ago but yours still latches onto the string, where his attached like a ball and socket would.
I don't believe he did anything with his designs but is there any money to be had with such small items?
As bows get faster, heavier limbs are required which is going to push current arrow technology pasts its limit. Aluminum nocks are going to be required.

·
Registered
MK-XB58 Kraken / Hawke 3-9x50 parallax, mildot
2,296 Posts
almost straight walls should work as well, as in almost perfect U shape, but that might be patented

you could also make it hollow and insert light in it ;)

2 holes on sides and 1 in the end should shine enough to see it, switch into one of the holes to turn it on/off with pin

·
Registered
309 Posts
As bows get faster, heavier limbs are required which is going to push current arrow technology pasts its limit. Aluminum nocks are going to be required.
Yah, he needed them for his custom bows. The first was shooting at like 580 ft/sec and the second was a little over 600 ft/sec.
I found his notes on the nocks but he developed an reinforced resin to withstand the forces being applied.
I didn't see any reference to actually developing the "nocks" but the formula for the material has been patented.
I was also wrong about the resemblance, a nock is a nock so they share some semblance but his was a ful ball and socket design

·
Retired
1,552 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Nobody as far as I know has developed an aluminum nock like this. But firenock has patents for capturing the string which I'm sure would have to be looked at by a patent attorney.

So we will see, once I get them and have them run through some testing first. Then if they can be made to not eat strings I will have a nock that will handle any bow.

Once that's done I will make sure it's legal and not violating any patents. A lot of T's to cross and I's to dot on this one

I have sent an email to firenock to get dorges opinion as well

·
Registered
6,387 Posts
My thought with the grooves, gluing the nock in, an designing the bowstring
section of the nock for crossbows requiring a capture nock, they should never
come out or move.
As mentioned, the option of having a lighted nock would also be nice for those
wishing to use that style.

Thanks for sharing.
Take care.

·
Retired
1,552 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
As for a lighted nock

That's a tough one, of you make it from aluminum there would need to be holes to allow light out. And there are patents on motion and switch activated as well as the lightstick type used by nufletch/tenpoint

Also the dang thing would weigh close to 60 grains.

But I'm going to continue to contemplate the idea of a lighted nock to handle the hot bows

·
Registered
3,030 Posts
The black eagle aluminum half moon has the same corners and it works fine. But it's a first prototype. I haven't had one in my hand to test yet so it's likely that corner will become a radius
Liquid Plant Water Twig Dragonfly

If your insert incorporated this throat and you'd have a winner, you could glue or be able to tune but narrow ATA's and long draws, need the Radius, I been there and tried em all worth trying. But I wouldn't even attempt them sharp shoulders on the throat of yours in the picture, If i didn't need the plastic insert to use these aluminum Alpha nocks, I'd use them on Li'l Nasty.

I would not even consider a flat nock on a bow as narrow as the TP Nitro or Li'l nasty, them 8" ATA bows with over 280 lbs of draw weight prove how much better these radiused throats are on servings, and the future is not Scorpyd wide with speed, it is more speed and 8" ATA and narrower, we are have already seen that, and we are not going back wider I am sure.

If you would make a Radiused Throat like these, With tight O.D. to fit our favorite arrows I.D. with the glue grooves, and hollow them to lighten them and or accept lighted circuits, with holes around the nock radius and throat,,, I'd be in, but without that radiused throat,,,, I have no use as the extreme string angle, even on my Li'l Nasty has proven that is my most needed aspect for my nock's. I'm sure the future is going to be calling for more and more to have a need for capture as well.

·
Retired
1,552 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
View attachment 212094

If your insert incorporated this throat and you'd have a winner, you could glue or be able to tune but narrow ATA's and long draws, need the Radius, I been there and tried em all worth trying. But I wouldn't even attempt them sharp shoulders on the throat of yours in the picture, If i didn't need the plastic insert to use these aluminum Alpha nocks, I'd use them on Li'l Nasty.

I would not even consider a flat nock on a bow as narrow as the TP Nitro or Li'l nasty, them 8" ATA bows with over 280 lbs of draw weight prove how much better these radiused throats are on servings, and the future is not Scorpyd wide with speed, it is more speed and 8" ATA and narrower, we are have already seen that, and we are not going back wider I am sure.

If you would make a Radiused Throat like these, With tight O.D. to fit our favorite arrows I.D. with the glue grooves, and hollow them to lighten them and or accept lighted circuits, with holes around the nock radius and throat,,, I'd be in, but without that radiused throat,,,, I have no use as the extreme string angle, even on my Li'l Nasty has proven that is my most needed aspect for my nock's. I'm sure the future is going to be calling for more and more to have a need for capture as well.
Well I do have an itsy bitsy secret, a second nock I have samples of that is also on the way

Hypodermic needle Office supplies Writing implement Writing instrument accessory Office instrument

·
Registered
6,771 Posts
Looks a lot like an Alpha one piece. A light ready nock would get my vote as well. Not sure about aluminum as the material. The mid and upper 400s is being handled just fine with one piece nocks made with traditional materials. 500 FPS plus practical xbows, that are good quality xbows an average joe can afford are still many years off.

·
Registered
4,437 Posts
jerry, if you got time on ur hands. Make a lighted nock that is user friendly for the Ravins.. I will then love u forever 😄
Ravins "illuminated" nock means "Snap-On" nock so, that's Dorges patent. If Dorge made a assorted size pack just for Ravins in .002" size increments over ~ a .016" spread it would solve everything and, make him alot of money. That way any customer with any serving at any time during the servings lifespan would always have the perfect nock fit to use.
Aluminum nocks could be machined to any size with a rotary. It would just take more machining time which means more $ than just using a mold. Aluminum would be a poor choice for the "Snap" part too.

·
Retired
1,552 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Ravins "illuminated" nock means "Snap-On" nock so, that's Dorges patent. If Dorge made a assorted size pack just for Ravins in .002" size increments over ~ a .016" spread it would solve everything and, make him alot of money. That way any customer with any serving at any time during the servings lifespan would always have the perfect nock fit to use.
Aluminum nocks could be machined to any size with a rotary. It would just take more machining time which means more $ than just using a mold. Aluminum would be a poor choice for the "Snap" part too.
Actually no it isn't, dorge has a design patent which means as long as the light portion is not dorges design copying ravins and making it lit is not violating dorges patent

1 - 20 of 22 Posts