Crossbow Nation banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As indicated in the title I am new to the sport. It is illegal to crossbow hunt in my state, but is legal in adjacent states. There for the idea is annual hunting/camping trips to these various states. I am working through the logistics of this idea, I have arrived at some factors in the crossbow equation (probably some I haven't thought of yet too), that seem to me the more experienced would have opinions and experiences that should shed some light into some of the "dark corners" of it all. 1). I have rifle hunting experience from my younger years, so it's not some drunken wild hair. 2) I am ? not unfamiliar with weaponry in general and weapon safety. 3) I'm retired and bored to tears and think the whole of it a good idea. What I would like to accomplish is to accurately figure which crossbow to get that is most suited for my purposes and will be a crossbow that will stay with me through say beginner and into well, well, into intermediate skill levels. Any other equipment, tips, etc. I have not thought of drawing this up cold appreciated.
Thanks D

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
As indicated in the title I am new to the sport. It is illegal to crossbow hunt in my state, but is legal in adjacent states. There for the idea is annual hunting/camping trips to these various states. I am working through the logistics of this idea, I have arrived at some factors in the crossbow equation (probably some I haven't thought of yet too), that seem to me the more experienced would have opinions and experiences that should shed some light into some of the "dark corners" of it all. 1). I have rifle hunting experience from my younger years, so it's not some drunken wild hair. 2) I am ? not unfamiliar with weaponry in general and weapon safety. 3) I'm retired and bored to tears and think the whole of it a good idea. What I would like to accomplish is to accurately figure which crossbow to get that is most suited for my purposes and will be a crossbow that will stay with me through say beginner and into well, well, into intermediate skill levels. Any other equipment, tips, etc. I have not thought of drawing this up cold appreciated.
Thanks D
My budget is $500

·
Registered
2,330 Posts
CAMX on Ebay for 350 would be a good option -- very high quality bow. At 330 fps it is fast enough.

I had one and killed every buck I shot at with it from 10 - 30 yards.

Horns

·
Registered
300 Posts
Welcome. If it were me; I was planning on travel to hunt w/ xbow. I’d get 2.

Go to the manufacture pages here & start reading; lots of good info on each.

Secondly, not in importance either is the arrow. A good bit of archery performance is in the arrow.

You are on the right forum to learn.

·
Registered
656 Posts
Welcome to CBN

If you can cock your crossbow, I'd buy a Scorpyd Deathstalker 420

If you need a crank, I'd buy a Mission Sub 1

These two seem to be pretty problem free, quality bows.

good luck with your research and hunting!

·
Registered
5,798 Posts
The Amped 415 is lot of bow for its price. Accurate, reasonably quiet, fast enough and a good bow to update and still be in your $500 budget. I’d update the optic, trigger and arrows and you would have a package very comparable to bows 2X that price.

·
Registered
61 Posts
It’s been mentioned twice already: Amped 415. I’m in my first season with an xbow and couldn’t be happier with the amped. Also got it for $270 shipped just a few months ago. Will get a Wyvern pull off Ravin scope for next year. My hunting buddy has had a ten point for a long while now, and likes my Amped a lot.

·
Registered
46 Posts
It’s been mentioned twice already: Amped 415. I’m in my first season with an xbow and couldn’t be happier with the amped. Also got it for $270 shipped just a few months ago. Will get a Wyvern pull off Ravin scope for next year. My hunting buddy has had a ten point for a long while now, and likes my Amped a lot.
I was considering the Amped 415 until I realised we are getting ripped off with them in the UK. They are £500 or $650 US. In the states they are between $300 and $350, we are getting charged double.

·
Registered
13,738 Posts
Welcome to the boards. :)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts