Crossbow Nation banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
629 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i gave a look into middle serving and how its wearing out, it seems that its only wearing out from the string holder "spikes" while releasing it

is there a way to round those spikes and still keep it safe without taking the trigger and everything a part?

should that string holder be touched at all and would it go worse?

i was thinking of using rope or leather strap to round outside corners of those spikes

should i?

thankfull for any answers

·
Registered
13,763 Posts
Just cut strips about 1/8 to 1/4" wide and 5" or longer out of the sandpaper you are going to use. Then drop the latches on your bow and work a strip around one latch at a time and polish it then do the other. Then go to a finer grit paper and do the same thing until all is smooth. It is easy to do while on the bow usually.

·
Registered
629 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
think im gonna pass using sandpaper while not comfortable taking it a part, when im ready to disassemble the trigger then i will look if i sand it

still thinking using leather strap

cheers

·
Registered
629 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Just cut strips about 1/8 to 1/4" wide and 5" or longer out of the sandpaper you are going to use. Then drop the latches on your bow and work a strip around one latch at a time and polish it then do the other. Then go to a finer grit paper and do the same thing until all is smooth. It is easy to do while on the bow usually.
i watched video of taking trigger a part and i think its something im not going to do in near future or ever...

i read your guide here: ExCal Assassin Strata Eating Strings

and did some inspecting, looks like if i cover surroundings with tape and work upside down to avoid anything dropping into trigger i should be just fine with it

this is how serving looks like after 100+ shots

taken with my crappy webcam, sorry for quality, dents are about or almost 1mm (3/64 or 0,039inch) deep and ive applied some wax into dents after i finally got some proper one, i just ordered new string and gonna do latches once it arrives

finest paper i could find was 2000, wonder if thats fine enough?

thank you for the advice, really preciate

·
Registered
811 Posts
i watched video of taking trigger a part and i think its something im not going to do in near future or ever...

i read your guide here: ExCal Assassin Strata Eating Strings

and did some inspecting, looks like if i cover surroundings with tape and work upside down to avoid anything dropping into trigger i should be just fine with it

this is how serving looks like after 100+ shots

View attachment 194148

taken with my crappy webcam, sorry for quality, dents are about or almost 1mm (3/64 or 0,039inch) deep and ive applied some wax into dents after i finally got some proper one, i just ordered new string and gonna do latches once it arrives

finest paper i could find was 2000, wonder if thats fine enough?

thank you for the advice, really preciate
Think you will be fine with the 2000 grit.

·
Registered
13,763 Posts
It shouldn't take much for you to do yours but both of your latches need polishing. I would start with 1500 grit and then 2000 or higher.

·
Registered
629 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
It shouldn't take much for you to do yours but both of your latches need polishing. I would start with 1500 grit and then 2000 or higher.
i will try to find finer, local cheapshop only has up to 800, hour away has 1000 and 2000. thank you

edit: i just tried search on local hardware store which should have all options but also there finest is p2000 (10.3 µm), occured to my mind if they are rated differently in US

also this wiki page only shows up to 2500

Sandpaper - Wikipedia

·
Registered
13,763 Posts
I got mine from Walmart in the auto section. Several different grades for a few bucks. Any auto shop should have it though.

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
think im gonna pass using sandpaper while not comfortable taking it a part, when im ready to disassemble the trigger then i will look if i sand it

still thinking using leather strap

cheers
Sorry for the late reply, but I just found this thread. Depending on how tight the room is in your trigger box, as somebody already stated above, raise your trigger prongs, but instead of sandpaper or emery cloth you might have room to get at the prongs using a thin Dremel with a buffing bit. To this you apply Jewelers Rouge, as used for polishing all different types of metals and fine jewelry. It puts a highly polished finish on anything it’s used on.

You only need to polish a trigger one time and it will never wear your servings again.

One other tidbit of help I’ll offer you. When seeing serving wear take a moment and using a flashlight take a good close look at the crossbows string inside the trigger assembly when it’s at full draw. Make sure the safety is on before doing so. Certain models of crossbows when experiencing excessive string serving wear were found to have a problem due to the string making contact with one of the edges of the metal edge to the trigger box itself. This was slowly cutting and wearing the center servings of the string. It was kept quite, but the fix was for the manufacturer to round off the edges of the cast metal trigger box assembly.

Rounding and polishing has a few benefits!

Hope this help you.

·
Registered
629 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
it was pretty tight so i did not get top of the laches sanded way i wanted to make em round, instead they are just bit touched, i eventually had to do it 2nd time to get latches even, i had new string started wearing hard on other side and it stopped and wearout actually disappeared from serving once i got both latches evenly and fixed cam leaning, adjusting cams also fixed how string sits on rail, other side used to be bit higher

i would not recommend anyone doing this without massive amounts of accuracy and patience to get em evenly, its sick hard to do in a tight and dark trigger box, i also used too rought sandpaper with 25.8µm grains and it takes a lot very fast

to polish only and not shaping em any way using 10.3µm was just fine and should get rid of any excess wearout of the serving

·
Registered
15 Posts
got both latches evenly and fixed cam leaning, adjusting cams also fixed how string sits on rail, other side used to be bit higher
How did you manage to get the cams aligned? Did it personally or got to some professional services? Any tutorial links? Cheers.

·
Registered
629 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
How did you manage to get the cams aligned? Did it personally or got to some professional services? Any tutorial links? Cheers.
it was just brief moment that they were aligned, my limbs are not equal so its impossible to keep cams aligned

im sure there is more knowledgeable people here to guide you how to adjust cams, i had em too tight eventually and it ate my cables, it should be easier to adjust em if limbs are fine tho

try search and or make new thread of how to adjust em

is end of your limbs equal? that would be good place to start before you go for cables

·
Registered
15 Posts
Yeah, they seem equal, symmetrical and cams aligned and parralel, string 1-2 milimeters above rail, parallel. Not cocked yet, not ready preparing and no place to shooting for discharge available yet.

·
Registered
629 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Yeah, they seem equal, symmetrical and cams aligned and parralel, string 1-2 milimeters above rail, parallel. Not cocked yet, not ready preparing and no place to shooting for discharge available yet.
sounds perfect to me, well i actually like it more close to rail but people here said thats just fine to have 2mm above

·
Registered
629 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
was just thinking this.. you might have installed that rubber between riser and barrel wrong and it created shim that many here does, having string above rail is desired effect

1 - 20 of 39 Posts