Crossbow Nation banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys,

So, I got my Barnett Gamecrusher last Christmas. Never owned a Crossbow so I am brand new. When Dicks assembled the crossbow, they forgot to put the cable Slide on. Needless to say, the string broke after a number of shots.

I FINALLY get the string replaced and the cable slide installed, and now the bow won't cock. I pull the string back and it doesn't lock in place. From researching online, it seems as if the cocking device needs to be reset, but I can't figure out how to do it. I was supposed to use the bow for hunting tomorrow... now I'm stuck.

I cannot find out how to reset this thing.

·
Registered
5,335 Posts
Here is a suggestion: Lay you uncocked crossbow across your knees with the stock laid flat so you can see your trigger, claw and safety. Take a small screw driver an put in front of the claw. As you gently push the claw back, slide the safety backward to the rear of the stock, then forward. Remove the screw driver. Gently squeeze the trigger while watching the claw. The claw should go forward a wee bit from verticle. Squeezing the trigger, you will find no resistance. Now, try cocking your crossbow. The claws should latch in the proper position and the safety will switch to the safe position.
All the best.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Here is a suggestion: Lay you uncocked crossbow across your knees with the stock laid flat so you can see your trigger, claw and safety. Take a small screw driver an put in front of the claw. As you gently push the claw back, slide the safety backward to the rear of the stock, then forward. Remove the screw driver. Gently squeeze the trigger while watching the claw. The claw should go forward a wee bit from verticle. Squeezing the trigger, you will find no resistance. Now, try cocking your crossbow. The claws should latch in the proper position and the safety will switch to the safe position.
All the best.

Thanks Bunny.... for some reason it's not working. The device is stuck in the Safety position, with the claw down like it's been fired. The claw does not budge, the safey does not Budge.... everything is completely solid. I am amazed that I seem to be having such a hard time with it.

Does that make sense?
Here is a photo.

Attachments

·
Registered
5,335 Posts
I'm wondering if something is either bent or dirty causing it to stick. You would likely know if it got wax build up or dirt in it depending on how you used it and how often. If you have some WD-40, give it a very light spray, making sure you wipe any excess off the stock etc. If this does not work, I would take it back and have the bow shop check it out. If you try to pry it with something, go very easy so as not to bend something. Some parts are very delicate. If you are lucky enough to get it free, keep working it for a bit and add a wee bit more WD-40 to free things up.
All the best.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm wondering if something is either bent or dirty causing it to stick. You would likely know if it got wax build up or dirt in it depending on how you used it and how often. If you have some WD-40, give it a very light spray, making sure you wipe any excess off the stock etc. If this does not work, I would take it back and have the bow shop check it out. If you try to pry it with something, go very easy so as not to bend something. Some parts are very delicate. If you are lucky enough to get it free, keep working it for a bit and add a wee bit more WD-40 to free things up.
All the best.

I've literally shot this bow a total of 30 times MAYBE, no dirt, never even been able to hunt with it. I got the string replaced, and attempted to shoot it once.

I'm literally just burned out. If something is broken, then that means I would have probably spent more fixing this thing than it was originally purchased for.....

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Small update. I can push the claw up back to normal. When I pull the string back, it clicks in just as normal.... but it won't hold. It's almost like something broker in there and it can't hold the string in the cocked position.

Is this a defective bow you think? I've literally shot the bow like 30 times today. Never had this issue until today.

·
Registered
5,335 Posts
When you cock the bow, you should hear two clicks. If not, pull a wee bit farther. Still no second click or proper latching for the safety to come on properly, something in the mechanism has failed. Make sure and have the hooks of the cocking device installed from the bottom. This you probably know.
All the best.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
When you cock the bow, you should hear two clicks. If not, pull a wee bit farther. Still no second click or proper latching for the safety to come on properly, something in the mechanism has failed. Make sure and have the hooks of the cocking device installed from the bottom. This you probably know.
All the best.
Yeah... I only hear a single click. something is wrong.. and hunting is probably out of the picture this year...

·
Registered
14,037 Posts
Sounds like something is either stuck or broken inside the trigger mechanism. Can you remove the mech yourself to take a look?

·
Registered
97 Posts
Try pushing the safety foward and then cock it. The safety has to be in fire position for the bow to cock and it goes to safe when cocked. I hope this helps.

Sent from my VS876 using Tapatalk

·
2,792 Posts
Use a small screwdriver to act like the string cocking the bow. As you go past the string latch you will hear a click then as you push the safety to safe you will hear another click. In order to put the safety to fire you have to disengage the anti dry fire. The anti dry fire (ADF) is located under the sight bridge just behind the string latch. You can use the same screw driver to push up on the ADF while also pushing against the string latch. You will be able to disengage the safety while holding the ADF up and pull the trigger the string latches will or should break free. Now try to cock your bow. You will want to pull the string until it engages the safety. The two clicks they are talking about is first click the string latch engaging second click is the safety engaging. If this don't work you should contact Barnett or take it back to the place of purchase. Good Luck

·
Registered
876 Posts
Hi Guys,

So, I got my Barnett Gamecrusher last Christmas. Never owned a Crossbow so I am brand new. When Dicks assembled the crossbow, they forgot to put the cable Slide on. Needless to say, the string broke after a number of shots.

I FINALLY get the string replaced and the cable slide installed, and now the bow won't cock. I pull the string back and it doesn't lock in place. From researching online, it seems as if the cocking device needs to be reset, but I can't figure out how to do it. I was supposed to use the bow for hunting tomorrow... now I'm stuck.

I cannot find out how to reset this thing.
I would talk to dick's about a replacement, plus get ahold of Barnett. It's under warranty.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Try pushing the safety foward and then cock it. The safety has to be in fire position for the bow to cock and it goes to safe when cocked. I hope this helps.

Sent from my VS876 using Tapatalk
Thanks for the suggestion.

When I pull the string back, I can push the safety forward and everything looks right.... but if I let off pulling back, the string pushes right over the claw, and goes back down... almost like the locking mechanism is broken.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Use a small screwdriver to act like the string cocking the bow. As you go past the string latch you will hear a click then as you push the safety to safe you will hear another click. In order to put the safety to fire you have to disengage the anti dry fire. The anti dry fire (ADF) is located under the sight bridge just behind the string latch. You can use the same screw driver to push up on the ADF while also pushing against the string latch. You will be able to disengage the safety while holding the ADF up and pull the trigger the string latches will or should break free. Now try to cock your bow. You will want to pull the string until it engages the safety. The two clicks they are talking about is first click the string latch engaging second click is the safety engaging. If this don't work you should contact Barnett or take it back to the place of purchase. Good Luck

Yes.... I am getting the 2 clicks... but the mechanism can't hold the string in place. Almost like something broke inside. I'm going to send it to Barnett.

·
1,387 Posts
check your conversations.

·
2,792 Posts

·
Registered
5,335 Posts
dropzone: My interpretation of what "vaguru" is referring to is the information (ideas etc.) that several of the members have submitted in answer to the original question asked by "Backpacker86".
All the best.

·
1,387 Posts
Conversations is the private messaging method on this forum

·
2,792 Posts
I got you it never occurred to me that PM was actually called Conversations. Thanks for clearing that up for me.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts