Crossbow Nation banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am about to pull the trigger on a new crossbow. This will be replacing a SA Sports Fever bow that was given to me, so it will be my first "real" crossbow. Primary use will be deer hunting (mostly from a tree stand) and target practice. I have a dozen 20" Zombie Slayer arrows. With the fieldpoints/broadheads on, I am calculating the weight to be around 425 grains. With all that said, I am looking at the Wicked Ridge RDX 400. For just under $900, I can get the RDX 400 with ACUdraw Pro and the Hawke XB1 SR scope ($850), 20 alpha nocks to replace the half moons on my current arrows ($20), and the Scorpion Venom Crossbow care kit ($25).

I'm not sure if there is a better bow value out there. Also, not really sure if I need the ACUdraw Pro. I would love to hear some other thoughts before I make a decision.

·
10,863 Posts
Ten Point … can't go wrong buying one. All crossbows will kill deer. I wouldn't agonize over the decision. Ten Point/Wicked Ridge is a world class outfit, reliable, durable, plenty fast and flat shooting and should last you as long as you want it to last you.

·
Registered
4,193 Posts
Ten point/ wicked ridge is a reputable company but I am not a fan of synthetic rails. If you look at the wicked ridge forum and go back some pages you will find discussion on this rail and some of the problems shooters were having with it. I was offered a rdx and passed due to this. Tom on the Run had an rdx maybe he can give you some insight. Best of luck with what ever xbow you get.

·
3,700 Posts
Am I crazy for not being the least bit interested in the SWAT XP? It looks too "tactical" for my liking. I know this whole board is hyped for it's release, but I am indifferent.
I’m not that big on the tactical look myself. The SWAT XP does have quite a few very interesting features that are unique. I think it may be one of the best available for the money. That said, there are a few things, like the 90 degree “foot stirrup “, that I don’t care for. Bottom line, you should find something that you really want and that works for you. Forum suggestions are informed opinions, but your choice should be yours.

·
Registered
618 Posts
Best value out there in my opinion is the Centerpoint 415.....Northwoods Outlet has it for $299, they are out of stock but should be back in stock soon.......you can get the same Hawk scope as I did and still be saving a few hundred bucks

·
Registered
6,190 Posts
I'm a big TenPoint fan but prefer their higher end products as well. If an integrated crank isn't big on your radar, the Amped 415 with a trigger update, updated scope and your great Zombie arrows comes in well under that number.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I think I'm going through paralysis by analysis. I do like the idea of the non-synthetic rails based on a few of the threads here about sleds putting scratches in rails. Most of those come in well over $1k. BassPro has a few older model TenPoints on clearance, notably the Stealth NXT w/ AccuDraw 50 ($1100 - probably more than I want to spend) and the Shadow NXT ($800).

Really don't know much about Centerpoint bows. I will have to look into them. Are they made in USA?

·
Registered
4,193 Posts
I think I'm going through paralysis by analysis. I do like the idea of the non-synthetic rails based on a few of the threads here about sleds putting scratches in rails. Most of those come in well over $1k. BassPro has a few older model TenPoints on clearance, notably the Stealth NXT w/ AccuDraw 50 ($1100 - probably more than I want to spend) and the Shadow NXT ($800).

Really don't know much about Centerpoint bows. I will have to look into them. Are they made in USA?
no

·
Registered
618 Posts

NONE are made in the USA 100%, put together in the USA is different story. Centerpoint, PSE, Xpedition, Bear, and others are made by man kung or Poe lang both very large crossbow makers in taiwan.......My wallet has no issues affording a a expensive crossbow, but for what? The minute you walk out the door it lost it's value, next year the next best crossbow will out, these inexpensive crossbows are accurate, and will put up a fight with the so called very best....granted the very best comes with bells and whistles, but still not worth a mortgage payment. Ravin I like very much but I believe they say change the strings every year or so......What it comes down to is one thing at the end of the day......They both kill !!!! I found the Centerpoint 415 Patriot (walmart exclusive) a few months ago on end of the season sale I paid with tax $179, the Hawke #12221 scope I found brand new from a local hunter for $100, I had the trigger worked on a brush retainer put on and I'm still ahead of the game......I use Victory Decimators Bolts from Dicks on sale 6 for $20 I replaced the nocks with Afterburner lighted nocks, three for less then $20, damn thing drives tacks out to the max I was able to shoot which was 70 yards....I just ordered 5 Black Eagle Zombie Slayer bolts to compare.....this doesn't take a PHD to understand that within normal hunting distances they are all the same

·
Registered
14,085 Posts
That's why they make so many brands and models....so EVERYBODY can get what they want!;):)

Reactions: Ironminer

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thank you to everyone that has voiced an opinion so far and please keep them coming. It is definitely changing my perspective. For some reason, I was focused on TenPoints, Ravins, and Scorpyds as the only quality bows I needed to hunt. EDIT: I should say Excalibur too, but I like the looks and compactness of compound/reverse draw bows. Of which, two of those makers exceed the budget I set for myself. I'm going to take a deeper look into Centerpoint and Killer Instinct bows (although KIs look more promising due to warranty)

·
Registered
2,642 Posts
I’ve had good luck with Ten Point, Excalibur, and Scorpyd crossbows. If you do have an issue all three have a great reputation for standing behind their products.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts