Crossbow Nation banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When setting up arrows what is acceptable weight range between arrows? I just weighed all the bloodsport witness arrows I received and have a range of 4.8 grains. (324-328.8) I have a test pack of field points to test what points I shoot best I will weigh them when I decide which gr weight I need. But what is acceptable variation for hunting arrows?

By nature I'm a little ocd when it comes to stuff like this.

·
Registered
13,229 Posts
I also weight my field points and the broadheads and try to match up the lighter tips to the heavier arrows. My 6 arrows are usually only a couple/three grains difference this way. I always wind up numbering my #1, #2, and #3 best shooting arrows before the season opens.

·
Registered
2,268 Posts
A few grains difference in an arrow is not as important to me as knowing how each arrow flies and where it hits the target. Like Gabowman said number the arrows to identify each one. Shoot straight and keep shooting! :)

Reactions: Swampmonster

·
Registered
5,565 Posts
I remember asking this question about six months ago. I learned weight differences is not a big issue thanks to the folks comments here on CBN. I went to shoot 25 grain weight difference with arrows at 40 yards and the elevation was negligible. Maybe 1.5"-2" at most. I was quite surprised. My pattern was more about the Indian than the arrow. If it shoots straight I'm using it. I no longer worry about a 3 plus grain weight variance with arrows anymore. I use to but not anymore. 😎

·
Registered
29 Posts
I remember asking this question about six months ago. I learned weight differences is not a big issue thanks to the folks comments here on CBN. I went to shoot 25 grain weight difference with arrows at 40 yards and the elevation was negligible. Maybe 1.5"-2" at most. I was quite surprised. My pattern was more about the Indian than the arrow. If it shoots straight I'm using it. I no longer worry about a 3 plus grain weight variance with arrows anymore. I use to but not anymore.
Did you notice a slight difference in sound if any.

Sent from my SM-G975U1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
162 Posts
When setting up arrows what is acceptable weight range between arrows? I just weighed all the bloodsport witness arrows I received and have a range of 4.8 grains. (324-328.8) I have a test pack of field points to test what points I shoot best I will weigh them when I decide which gr weight I need. But what is acceptable variation for hunting arrows?

By nature I'm a little ocd when it comes to stuff like this.
Here is the problem, you are a little OCD! If your nocks are removable you could buy a bell hanger (24in) bit and use it to take a small amount of material from the rear of the inserts on the heavy arrows to get them in line.

This means YOU WILL think about the weight variance and it will hinder your accuracy to a degree.

With that said a few grains (4 or 5 grains) at hunting distance wont be an issue.

At South Shore we made weight matching part of the spynal tapp and punisher build process to make sure arrows are within a grain so customers dont have to worry about weight

1 - 8 of 8 Posts