Crossbow Nation banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm brand new to crossbow hunting since having shoulder issues. Bought new xbow about a month ago. Set up on a picnic table and started shooting. I'm getting maybe 2 shots at best in a general group and have one shot that will be 8 to 10 inches off to one side or the other. Used same arrow and swapped them out. I've notice the ds sticker on the arrow is almost faded out from I guess friction when shooting. I wasn't sure if that is normal or the culprit. I'm using the hawk scope that came with xbow. Anyone have any advice on grouping?

·
Registered
6,640 Posts
What's your timing look like ? Look at the holes on the cams in relevance to the inside of the limbs on each side, they should be the same distance.

·
Registered
6,640 Posts
When you cock the bow, make sure you are pulling each side or each handle evenly.

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
Could be a few things. Cams out of sync, limbs are not equalized, scope is loose, arrows are not the same, other?

·
Registered
10,860 Posts
Your ATA should be on 16.5" from the center of axle to center of axle. Your cam timing holes should be approx 3/4" each from the limbs on each side to the edge of each hole.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Alot of great advice above....betting its cocking related. One more thing to check is to make sure when you load your arrow MAKE SURE THE FRONT OF THE ARROW IS ACTUALLY TOUCHING/ RESTING ON THE FRONT OF THE BARREL AFTER THE NOCK LOCKS ONTO THE STRING. I noticed when I first got my deathstalker I was having consistency issues, and this was the cause. I wasnt sliding my arrow STRAIGHT DOWN THE BARREL and When my nock snapped onto the string it induced torque causing the front of my arrow to float up off the barrel...maybe only a credit cards thickness...but it made a huge difference Hope this helps.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Alot of great advice above....betting its cocking related. One more thing to check is to make sure when you load your arrow MAKE SURE THE FRONT OF THE ARROW IS ACTUALLY TOUCHING/ RESTING ON THE FRONT OF THE BARREL AFTER THE NOCK LOCKS ONTO THE STRING. I noticed when I first got my deathstalker I was having consistency issues, and this was the cause. I wasnt sliding my arrow STRAIGHT DOWN THE BARREL and When my nock snapped onto the string it induced torque causing the front of my arrow to float up off the barrel...maybe only a credit cards thickness...but it made a huge difference Hope this helps.
Thanks. I'll definitely double check that to make sure. on the manual dvd, the guy says that the cocking sled keeps the same pull for consistent cocking. Not sure how I can pull it any differently? Also, what about the heavy rubbing on the bolt/arrow? Is that normal?

·
Registered
135 Posts
When cocking the bow I keep both hands as close to the barrel all the way up until I hear the string latch. I have both the short and long cockers... the short cocker is faster, but the long cocker is smoother/easier. I think the long cocker is easier to be more consistent also. With the short cocker I catch my hands pulling out from the bow easier....which makes it more inconsistent IMO. IF your not cocking the bow with an even pull it could throw the cam timing out on that shot which could maybe show some odd wear on the arrow shaft from being forced down the rail unevenly....

·
Registered
10,860 Posts
I am wondering if maybe you have too much down pressure from the arrow retainer. I remember with the first DS 380s a lot of accuracy problems were caused by it being to tight. It can be adjusted by using a hair dryer and pulling it up some. That might explain your arrow rubbing also.

·
Registered
2,096 Posts
You have to use the U nock from Firenock. The bow is a semi-railess design that requires a tighter fitting nock. Q nocks on the metal bows

·
Registered
135 Posts
I dont buy into the notion of the "U" nock only for the Deathstalker...I shot the deathstocker arrows that came with the bow( Black Eagle capture nocks), Firenock Q nocks, and Firenock U nocks....I never saw inconsistency with any of them as long as I loaded them correctly....It took me a little bit to figure out what I was doing....I initially blamed the nocks...I tried the arrow retainer arm...checked and re checked all my specs...then I noticed how I was loading my arrow and how the front of it was barely off the rail when I snapped my arrow onto the string. Now , I make sure I push my nock straight back down the rail until it snaps on. The front of the arrow lays flat down on the top of the rail. After trying out the Luminok capture nocks in my deathstalker380 ( that dont snap onto the string at all) and seeing the same POI as my U nocks with just as good or better accuracy , I personally think a nock that fits excessively tight hurts accuracy more.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts