Crossbow Nation banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
4,054 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was deleting pics just a little bit ago and came across a old target I shot. I’m not sure if it was last year or a year or 2 ago. But I’m sure it was shot with the NAP FOC and at 50 yds because it’s rare my blob sets any where but 50 yds.

Anyway I shot a target a few days ago just incase I took the bow Turkey hunting.
Here’s the old target

Wood Plant Dishware Serveware Sink

And here’s the one from the other day.

Handwriting Grey Font Circle Electronic device

All most the same groups at least a year apart maybe longer. This is what makes it hard for me to change to much.

·
4,054 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That’s some mighty fine broadhead shootin’!
It's hardly ever i shoot field tips. I glue up a FOC and i have a Swat Max glued up. Several FOC's and i think 2 Swats.

Id stager a pretty accurate guess the old target was shot one arrow. Then a different arrow next day maybe one in the morning and one in the evening the day after that. Or i might have skipped a day or two before or after. And i'm sure i shot both 400's at that target, and left them cocked for hours before i shot. That's my final test i try and make it as close to what i might do hunting as i can.

Been doing this for years. The Excaliburs would do this also :). Heck they probably all well.

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
i.m.o. a five shot group says allot.
thats great shooting and a real good equipment match up.

When it comes to shooting long range its easy to get 2 or maybe even 3 touching and then pull the rest.

But if you can put down a good 5 shot group even with one arrow thats really good.
Doing it with a broad head is even harder.

then toss in 480 f.p.s or more it may never happen. I guess this will need to be proven out yet.
I think broad head selection on there 500 f.p.s bows could end up being a real challenge

·
4,054 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Nice shooting! No arrow damage or shooting one and pulling?
I shoot one walk out and pull it. Then put the broadhead on another arrow then shoot it once. I get more exercise and i think improves my first shot accuracy. Plus these arrow are expensive.

Shooting like that puts pressure on me to keep the group going. And i use a very simple not to solid rest. That kinda matches what i will be doing hunting. If you can't match that accuracy in the woods to me it's not worth much.

·
I shoot an Adjustable Track Spirit Crossbow and a Mission Sub-1
62 Posts
I shoot one walk out and pull it. Then put the broadhead on another arrow then shoot it once. I get more exercise and i think improves my first shot accuracy. Plus these arrow are expensive.

Shooting like that puts pressure on me to keep the group going. And i use a very simple not to solid rest. That kinda matches what i will be doing hunting. If you can't match that accuracy in the woods to me it's not worth much.
Makes sense, I just shoot at mutiple bullseye targets, if not I'd have to carefully place my arrows around the bullseye! Ha!

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
dahhhh.......i never considered screwing the same broadhead on another arrow after shooting the it on the first arrow.......................:oops:

I usually just waist a pack of broad heads. See everyone can learn on here no matter how much you think you know.

·
4,054 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Yeah No1 I learn something new everyday. I biggest problem is I forget it in about a day and a half. Then I get to learn it all over again lol.

I run one thru it’s paces I get kinda mean with it. Then if it’s still straight I glue it up and there’s my practice head. And over the years in the case of the FOC. I end up with a few glued up.

Easton was the pizza eater for a long time that’s all he would eat. Now he’s into bread sticks and chicken nuggets and popcorn lol.

He will be 7 I might see if he wants to shoot a little bit this summer. Can’t wait to take him out and let him kill a Buck.

thanks guys

·
Registered
26 Posts
i.m.o. a five shot group says allot.
thats great shooting and a real good equipment match up.

When it comes to shooting long range its easy to get 2 or maybe even 3 touching and then pull the rest.

But if you can put down a good 5 shot group even with one arrow thats really good.
Doing it with a broad head is even harder.

then toss in 480 f.p.s or more it may never happen. I guess this will need to be proven out yet.
I think broad head selection on there 500 f.p.s bows could end up being a real challenge
Good point. I hadn't considered speed affecting my mechanicals being capable of staying closed during flight. Guess I have some expensive testing to do with my new Nitro. I usually use Grim Reapers, but that might not work at 440-470 fps

1 - 18 of 18 Posts