Crossbow Nation banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
4,763 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I read a lot on here about longer range crossbow accuracy. These ranges vary from 40-100+ yards.
If the ultimate goal for the crossbow and arrows is for hunting, the only accuracy that really counts is with the intended broadhead. That stated, the vane selection and orientation should be geared around whatever control is needed for the intended broadhead.

·
Registered
2,201 Posts
I agree I just got 2 bows ready for season .
I wanted to try grim reaper this year so I went out and shot them .ley me say I was not impressed .i did not band them and thought to my self they were opening or did not like my 3 degree right offset swift 315 vanes .

So instead of fidling with them I screwed on my trugloes and bingo same poi out to 40 yds as my field points .
I do not understand why I want to try new stuff when what I know works . works !!!

These heads just fly with my vane choice .
I would hate to run a different vane just to shoot a type of head . glad the tg's just work .and they put a nice hole in a deer !!!!

·
Registered
828 Posts
SEW, I cannot agree more. After using multiple vane types on multiple arrow configurations, all being tipped with different broadheads, mechanical and fixed, it's a balancing act. With a well tuned crossbow, an arrow that has proper stiffness, is weight and spine matched and an FOC >15% with both ends squared up prior to inserts and nocks being installed, now comes finding the broadhead that will not oversteer this perfect arrow. Being quite a challenge, both costly and time consuming, I have multiple favorites.

What it comes down to is the combination of equipment types selected by the bowyer, all being well tuned and balanced, in harmony with the skills and habits of that same bowyer matching his POA with the POI within his hunting ranges.

Iron Duke, I believe, summed it up. Accuracy of the arrow design and well tuned bow matched up to the bowyer proficiency, will provide results.

R1 (resources) + R2 (relationships) = R3 (results). In other words, the absolute best equipment combined with an Ill prepared bowyer will provide poor results and vice versa.

It's difficult, but at the same time very rewarding when all the above comes together.

·
Registered
2,888 Posts
My Trugloes hit same POI as my field tips also,at least out to 50 yards. All I need for hunting......
I just got two more packs of them in while I could! Getting hard to find in stock! I think the word is out,LOL.

·
Registered
3,401 Posts
SEW, I cannot agree more. After using multiple vane types on multiple arrow configurations, all being tipped with different broadheads, mechanical and fixed, it's a balancing act. With a well tuned crossbow, an arrow that has proper stiffness, is weight and spine matched and an FOC >15% with both ends squared up prior to inserts and nocks being installed, now comes finding the broadhead that will not oversteer this perfect arrow. Being quite a challenge, both costly and time consuming, I have multiple favorites.

What it comes down to is the combination of equipment types selected by the bowyer, all being well tuned and balanced, in harmony with the skills and habits of that same bowyer matching his POA with the POI within his hunting ranges.

Iron Duke, I believe, summed it up. Accuracy of the arrow design and well tuned bow matched up to the bowyer proficiency, will provide results.

R1 (resources) + R2 (relationships) = R3 (results). In other words, the absolute best equipment combined with an Ill prepared bowyer will provide poor results and vice versa.

It's difficult, but at the same time very rewarding when all the above comes together.
Well stated and totally accurate. These Comments show how solid your knowledge and experience is!

·
Registered
59 Posts
Is this the jon henry755 who was friends with a fallen member by the name of Grim?
If it is, this is a rather large coincidence. I have been reading reading Grim's journals. If you are the Jon mentioned, you should know he held you in high regard. He specifically mentioned some conversations you had when his wife passed. Thank you for being there. I literally owe him my life, once from drowning in a partial frozen river and a second time when I needed a kick in the pants. If you are him thank you.

·
Registered
9,364 Posts
I wanted to try grim reaper this year so I went out and shot them .ley me say I was not impressed .i did not band them and thought to my self they were opening or did not like my 3 degree right offset swift 315 vanes .

So instead of fidling with them I screwed on my trugloes and bingo same poi out to 40 yds as my field points .
I do not understand why I want to try new stuff when what I know works . works !!!

I would hate to run a different vane just to shoot a type of head . glad the tg's just work .and they put a nice hole in a deer !!!!
I am the same way with trying new stuff.

I tried the TG heads. They didn't shoot as good as my favorites do. Not bad, but not as good. So not wanting to fiddle with them and questioning their design I did a little test.Just 1 shot.

I rigged this up to see if they stayed open.This is some pretty stiff foam. As you can see they were not fully open when exiting. That would not happen hitting ribs on a exit but makes me wonder what would be going on inside a deer with little resistance to keep the blades open and possible resistance to close them. In that case seems like they be just like a fixed blade. This just didn't give me a lot of confidence in them compared to the heads I normally use. Just my 2 cents on the TG heads.
20200829_110622.jpg

Entrance
20200829_112626.jpg

They did look to be almost fully open exiting the first 5 layers of foam but not when exiting the second 5 and going into the target.
20200829_112255.jpg
20200829_112308.jpg

I know foam is not a deer :rolleyes: 😁 The design of them just doesn't give me a lot of confidence of them staying open. Wish they would lock open but they dont. So I'm back to my favorites.

·
Registered
2,888 Posts

I tried the TG heads. They didn't shoot as good as my favorites do. Not bad, but not as good. So not wanting to fiddle with them and questioning their design I did a little test.Just 1 shot.

I rigged this up to see if they stayed open.This is some pretty stiff foam. As you can see they were not fully open when exiting. That would not happen hitting ribs on a exit but makes me wonder what would be going on inside a deer with little resistance to keep the blades open and possible resistance to close them. In that case seems like they be just like a fixed blade. This just didn't give me a lot of confidence in them compared to the heads I normally use. Just my 2 cents on the TG heads. View attachment 184566

Entrance View attachment 184567

They did look to be almost fully open exiting the first 5 layers of foam but not when exiting the second 5 and going into the target. View attachment 184568 View attachment 184569
I know foam is not a deer :rolleyes: 😁 The design of them just doesn't give me a lot of confidence of them staying open. Wish they would lock open but they dont. So I'm back to my favorites.
Great info! So, now the big question is,what are your favorites? LOL

Reactions: SEW and Stalker

·
8,999 Posts

I rigged this up to see if they stayed open.This is some pretty stiff foam. As you can see they were not fully open when exiting. That would not happen hitting ribs on a exit but makes me wonder what would be going on inside a deer with little resistance to keep the blades open and possible resistance to close them. In that case seems like they be just like a fixed blade. This just didn't give me a lot of confidence in them compared to the heads I normally use. Just my 2 cents on the TG heads. View attachment 184566

They did look to be almost fully open exiting the first 5 layers of foam but not when exiting the second 5 and going into the target. View attachment 184568 View attachment 184569
I've thought … about that quite a bit. "What's going to open, and keep that broadhead deployed going through an animal?" Those little leading wings just don't seem to have the area to overcome the blade area.

But, your test photos reassure me that: "even closed, that's a very lethal hole in a deer!" At least as big as a Slick Trick Magnum or Standard which I've used to kill a pile of deer. And Slick tricks leave a bigger hole than my 12ga Benelli Barnes bullets.

Here are the clinchers for me:
#1. SEW and Vaguru are both world class shooters with persnickety research and testing habits and both have embraced Truglo TitaniumX broadheads.
#2. My own examination of the quality and a couple kills have been favorable. Just yesterday I repaired vanes on a few CamX Accuspine arrows and spin tested some TGT and they spun dead nuts concentric.

·
Registered
9,364 Posts
Swhacker
Great info! So, now the big question is,what are your favorites? LOL
Swhacker 2 inch 2.25 inch or the 3 blade version. They've never let me down.

·
1,553 Posts
You can never be better than your equipment. No amount of practice will overcome poorly set up arrows. I'm a hunter never was a target/3d shooter all i have but :). My bows are set up to hunt with so it's very seldom i ever shoot a field tip or waste time tuning arrows with them.

My 3 bows are ready to hunt shooting broadheads at random ranges once a day sometimes twice sometimes every few days.

I would rather have a cheap bow with great arrows than a $2000 bow with subpar arrows.

·
Registered
9,364 Posts
I've thought … about that quite a bit. "What's going to open, and keep that broadhead deployed going through an animal?" Those little leading wings just don't seem to have the area to overcome the blade area.

But, your test photos reassure me that: "even closed, that's a very lethal hole in a deer!" At least as big as a Slick Trick Magnum or Standard which I've used to kill a pile of deer. And Slick tricks leave a bigger hole than my 12ga Benelli Barnes bullets.

Here are the clinchers for me:
#1. SEW and Vaguru are both world class shooters with persnickety research and testing habits and both have embraced Truglo TitaniumX broadheads.
#2. My own examination of the quality and a couple kills have been favorable. Just yesterday I repaired vanes on a few CamX Accuspine arrows and spin tested some TGT and they spun dead nuts concentric.
I agree they are a quality head. Sew and Vaguru are the reason I tried them. Not locking open just bothers me. Like you said even closed they will kill a deer. I think I'd like them better with the big blades up front and in the rear like some have done.

·
Registered
544 Posts
I have yet to shoot a deer with the Truglo BH but I can tell you that they are doing a number on my Blob target.
If they cut up a deer like they’re cutting up my Blob, then I’m not worried.

·
Registered
9,364 Posts
I have yet to shoot a deer with the Truglo BH but I can tell you that they are doing a number on my Blob target.
If they cut up a deer like they’re cutting up my Blob, then I’m not worried.
No doubt they will tear up a target like a fixed blade. Just another reason I prefer a head you can tape closed for sighting in and practice. A Swhacker on this arrow at 30 yards. The damage done by Slick Tricks and the TGX heads o_O
20200910_181755.jpg

·
Registered
2,201 Posts

Good info here and yes deer and foam share different characteristics .
The TG"S tear up my blob , and i have sent 2 of them through a deer , and i can tell ya they stay open .
big holes from entrance to exit .
Do they kill any faster than any other , i do not think so , both of my recoveries were 50 yds or just short of .
For me i like a 4 blade design , i shot 2 blades for years and will shoot them on a low ke bow .
I like the way a 4 blade cuts on both parallels which makes a great hole .

IMO , death runs = deers attitude , shot placement , blade sharpness .

I have had them run 15 yds and then stand there and my only thought was to ponder what just happened to them This has happened more than once in pre rut and or rut . I attribute it to a 3 blade fixed head that was very sharp and a double lung hit . Now did these deer think it was another buck that just jabbed them or was a it a quick clean slicing small head , I will never know and it would make for a lengthy discussion , Maybe !!
i have had them run 80 yds ,Heart shot , no matter which head was used .

·
Registered
10,835 Posts
I have had them walk off and bed down and die within 10 yards of where I was sitting. I think it matters if the broadhead hits bone or not. A clean cut through without hitting a rib and they don't seem to have a clue what happened. Hit a rib or other bone and they are on a death run.

·
4,763 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I love the way 2” Schwackers fly, how quiet they are and how good their practice points are. I’ve hit and recovered2 deer with them . 1passthru, neither had good blood trail. Likely my fault, but neither recovery was easy. So far, the TruGlos have been exceptional..

·
Registered
9,364 Posts
I love the way 2” Schwackers fly, how quiet they are and how good their practice points are. I’ve hit and recovered2 deer with them . 1passthru, neither had good blood trail. Likely my fault, but neither recovery was easy. So far, the TruGlos have been exceptional..
I've had nothing but pass throughs with them 300-355 fps. Killed 10 deer with them. All shots were 30 yards and under. All were from the ground. Blood trails have varied but not needed. Only had one go more than 50 60 yards and it was a heart shot with a big blood trail.
mms_picture(18) - Copy.jpg
mms_picture(17) - Copy.jpg
mms_picture(12).jpg

The practice heads are decent. I've still found that they may not have the exact same poi. So I still prefer to tape them closed with electrical tape.

I like the thought of 4 blades though. I've killed one with the Swhacker 3 blade. The 2 blades seem to fly a little better. I may end up trying the Truglo's at some point or possibly the Swhacker hybrid 4 blade if they come down in price.

·
Registered
216 Posts

Burky you're right the Truglos do the job and they fly great. I'm bad to try new broadhead styles when a new one comes out to see if theres anything better out there. The great thing about a Truglo is you can practice with it over and over in a broadhead target and it stays together without having to do anything to it. When it comes to hunting these heads fly straight and punch really nice holes in deer. My wife has killed 3 bucks and a doe since last years archery season and all these deer left great blood trails making recoveries pretty easy. I know they're a lot of great broadheads out there on the market and this is definitely one of them.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts