Crossbow Nation banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im brand new to this forum and this is my first attempt to post so I apologize in advance if I do something wrong. In the next week or so I will be buying a higher end xbow. In the $2000 range or less but no real budget as long as I get something for the extra money. Im a very experienced deer hunter with a rifle but new to bowhunting. I take my hunting very serious and I want to do all in my power not to wound or not recover a buck. I will limit my shots to 20 or 30 yards so I do not need any advise on distances greater than that. I will always have a very solid rest or I will not shoot. My biggest concern is the deer "ducking" the arrow. I hope at that range that extra speed will take care of most of that. I also am wanting an accurate and quiet bow for the very same reasons.
I have done some research but probably not enough and Im running out of time. Im pretty certain I will buy the Mission Sub-1 XR. I shot it in the shop at 20 yards and I put 5 in the same 1" spot. I had tried shooting an older bow that wasnt nearly that accurate and was wondering if 1" accuracy was attainable with an xbow. I guess at this late date im hoping that yall will tell me ive made a good choice so i can go buy with confidence. However, I want your honest opinions so please tell me if there are better choices out there and hopefully why.

·
Registered
1,937 Posts
Here is my $.02...

Don't worry about deer ducking the arrow at 20-30 yards. NBD
Most all crossbows are loud... to a degree.
Buy what you like and fits you and your style. The Mission is fine... as are Scorpyd's, Ten Points, Ravin's etc. I would take a hard look at the KI Swat XP also.
User friendly / ability to change strings and cables is, IMO, rather important.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Im brand new to this forum and this is my first attempt to post so I apologize in advance if I do something wrong. In the next week or so I will be buying a higher end xbow. In the $2000 range or less but no real budget as long as I get something for the extra money. Im a very experienced deer hunter with a rifle but new to bowhunting. I take my hunting very serious and I want to do all in my power not to wound or not recover a buck. I will limit my shots to 20 or 30 yards so I do not need any advise on distances greater than that. I will always have a very solid rest or I will not shoot. My biggest concern is the deer "ducking" the arrow. I hope at that range that extra speed will take care of most of that. I also am wanting an accurate and quiet bow for the very same reasons.
I have done some research but probably not enough and Im running out of time. Im pretty certain I will buy the Mission Sub-1 XR. I shot it in the shop at 20 yards and I put 5 in the same 1" spot. I had tried shooting an older bow that wasn't nearly that accurate and was wondering if 1" accuracy was attainable with an xbow. I guess at this late date im hoping that yall will tell me ive made a good choice so i can go buy with confidence. However, I want your honest opinions so please tell me if there are better choices out there and hopefully why.
Western, for almost a year now, I have been scouring Crossbow Nation for the latest news on high-end crossbows just like yourself. I'm 61 years old and have bow hunted (recurve and vertical compounds) for 41 years. Killed lots of whitetails (two of them Pope and Young qualifiers), a P&Y black bear, feral hogs, squirrels, etc. While not wealthy, I have a 'thing" about only using the very best equipment on the market for bowhunting. In my extensive crossbow search, I finally narrowed it down to either a Scorpyd Aculeus or a Mission Sub-1.

Just last night actually, I made my decision and ordered a Scorpyd Aculeus (with 110 lb. limbs) direct from Jim and Rex at Scorpyd headquarters. I feel this will be a fantastic bow for me. Among nearly all serious, hard-core crossbow shooters, the name "Scorpyd" borders on being truly legendary. I am NOT a speed freak...never have been. I am an ACCURACY, QUIET, SMOOTH and SHOOTABLE freak! That's why the Scorpyd Aculeus (with 110 lb. genuine Barnsdale limbs), fit the bill perfectly for me....

However, I think you made a GREAT choice also with the Mission Sub-1 XR! That was my VERY close second choice to the Scorpyd Aculeus!

Either of these (2) brands/models will make you a very happy man!

·
Registered
105 Posts
Aculeus is the only word you need to remember ;) On a side note, The bow's are all solid choices that the others have mentioned. As already stated,you cant go wrong with any listed. Best Wishes in your search.

·
Registered
934 Posts
@Western, a word on accuracy. IMO, while there are bows out there that may have characteristics inherent to displaying greater accuracy than others, 90% of it comes down to the arrows.

So choose a bow the fits you, sounds good to you, has a trigger you like, and features you like, then, get some, or make some, quality arrows and you should be good to go.

Good luck.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
This has been good so far. As i said, my first time on this forum and im really not on many forums at all. Some followup to yalls comments.
-Does everyone agree that at 20 to 30 yards its unlikely a deer can duck the arrow. If you say thats true of a regular compound I will definitely disagree but the extra speed on an xbow I would believe is enough to make a big difference and why i want some extra speed.
-It may be hard to get me to shift gears off the Mission but keep it coming on the Aculeus(not sure ill buy something i cant spell or pronounce though.)
-About arrows. Im a rookie remember, but ive been told that certain arrows are made for certain xbows and to stay with them. Considering im talking a high end xbow, would that not be true? Would the improvement be very much? I could understand getting quality arrows for a subpar bow but does a Mission or Aculeus have a big improvement by going to other than what they make?

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
@Western, a word on accuracy. IMO, while there are bows out there that may have characteristics inherent to displaying greater accuracy than others, 90% of it comes down to the arrows.

So choose a bow the fits you, sounds good to you, has a trigger you like, and features you like, then, get some, or make some, quality arrows and you should be good to go.

Good luck.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
@Western read this post 3 or 4 more times!! It's 100% spot on...

·
Registered
47 Posts
This has been good so far. As i said, my first time on this forum and im really not on many forums at all. Some followup to yalls comments.
-Does everyone agree that at 20 to 30 yards its unlikely a deer can duck the arrow. If you say thats true of a regular compound I will definitely disagree but the extra speed on an xbow I would believe is enough to make a big difference and why i want some extra speed.
-It may be hard to get me to shift gears off the Mission but keep it coming on the Aculeus(not sure ill buy something i cant spell or pronounce though.)
-About arrows. Im a rookie remember, but ive been told that certain arrows are made for certain xbows and to stay with them. Considering im talking a high end xbow, would that not be true? Would the improvement be very much? I could understand getting quality arrows for a subpar bow but does a Mission or Aculeus have a big improvement by going to other than what they make?
Western,

This is how Scorpyd folks have pronounced it that I have heard:

"Ock-cue-lus"......like nock but without the N....like clue but without the L....like lust but without the T.

Does that sound correct to all you Aculeus owners on here?

·
Registered
146 Posts
Many years of deer hunting but first year using crossbow and my $300 centerpoint sniper elite shoots basically same hole accuracy at 20 yards with a broadhead, probably 1/2” at 30. like others have said accuracy comes a lot from arrows. I’m using spynal tapps and they’re nasty.

To answer your question if money wasn’t an issue I’d go with the swat xp

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I reread the post on arrows being important to accuracy but im still confused. If I buy a $2000 xbow and they recommend shooting their arrows, should I not be confident their arrows are high end. Maybe not THE best but surely I high end bow would use a high end arrow.....?

·
Registered
934 Posts
... surely ... high end bow would use a high end arrow.....?

"High end" doesn't always translate into accuracy. The components may be of decent quality, but if not assembled with attention to detail, can result in subpar accuracy.

The size of a group that a set of arrows makes when shot, generally is a direct result of the build process. As a group. As an individual arrow, you could shoot just one arrow, over and over, and get a one arrow pattern of, say, 1" for example, at 40 yds. As soon as you shoot that 2nd arrow and it impacts 3" to the right or left, you'd say "I wish I had a dozen arrows just like that first one". That in reality is what the build process is all about. Spine indexing, spine matching, weight matching, and paying attention to detail so that each arrow built behaves and responds to the shot like every other arrow in the group. This produces the best possible chance for the greatest accuracy.

Do high end bow manufacturers go through this process with their arrows they sell with the package? No, not usually. Will the arrows that comes with the package produce accurate groups? Perhaps. Maybe. Depends on what you consider as accurate. You may find yourself culling a few out of a dozen to get the group size you're looking for.

My suggestion would be to buy the bow you decide upon, take one arrow that comes with the bow and shoot it over and over to get an idea of what you and the bow are capable of. Then shoot all of the arrows and evaluate them as a group. You may find that several will group together and others that just won't play well with the others.

A word of caution: when shooting multiple arrows, shoot at different aiming spots. For those arrows that do group together, it sucks when you robinhood an arrow, or have a hard slap, potentially ruining two arrows.

Sent from my SM-T860 using Tapatalk

·
9,008 Posts
Buy the Scorpyd … but they'll all kill deer. Scorpyd is world class quality and the company has world class customer service. That said, good customer service is pretty normal in the crossbow community. I've been stacking up deer with the same Scorpyds for over half a decade. Never "needed" a thing done to them.

I've killed a shipload of deer with arrows from 259fps to 425.5fps and never had one "jump the string," so fohgeddabout that concern.

As stated, it's more about the arrows, vanes and broadheads than the crossbow you chose. The crossbows all shoot fast and straight. Broadheads being particularly critical in 400+fps fast crossbows.

Get yourself a good optic. It's harder to kill something if you have a cloudy picture. :) "You want to hit small, you have to see small."

Reactions: Lonster

·
Registered
338 Posts
Western, for almost a year now, I have been scouring Crossbow Nation for the latest news on high-end crossbows just like yourself. I'm 61 years old and have bow hunted (recurve and vertical compounds) for 41 years. Killed lots of whitetails (two of them Pope and Young qualifiers), a P&Y black bear, feral hogs, squirrels, etc. While not wealthy, I have a 'thing" about only using the very best equipment on the market for bowhunting. In my extensive crossbow search, I finally narrowed it down to either a Scorpyd Aculeus or a Mission Sub-1.

Just last night actually, I made my decision and ordered a Scorpyd Aculeus (with 110 lb. limbs) direct from Jim and Rex at Scorpyd headquarters. I feel this will be a fantastic bow for me. Among nearly all serious, hard-core crossbow shooters, the name "Scorpyd" borders on being truly legendary. I am NOT a speed freak...never have been. I am an ACCURACY, QUIET, SMOOTH and SHOOTABLE freak! That's why the Scorpyd Aculeus (with 110 lb. genuine Barnsdale limbs), fit the bill perfectly for me....

However, I think you made a GREAT choice also with the Mission Sub-1 XR! That was my VERY close second choice to the Scorpyd Aculeus!

Either of these (2) brands/models will make you a very happy man!
That is the exact bow I compete with. I have literally thousands of shots on it, it is still performing flawlessly. The Aculeus is the most forgiving bow I have shot.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Real good advise from all and i appreciate it. samt took a lot of time to explain the build and arrow issue and I appreciate the lengthy and good explanation. It generally makes sense but it seems like you are saying that even with the best arrows they may not all fly the same....? Thanks for advise on not shooting to the same spot but i did already know that.
I would like to get more clarification on a deer dropping before the arrow gets there. I know many many many times with a regular compound bow that this can happen. Are you saying that it doesnt happen with a compound or it doesnt happen with a 400fps xbow?? If you are saying the high speed xbows at close range eliminates the problem then thats what Im hoping and want to confirm. If you are saying that a regular compound bow doesnt have this problem then Im sorry i will have to throw out your opinion completely.
"High end" doesn't always translate into accuracy. The components may be of decent quality, but if not assembled with attention to detail, can result in subpar accuracy.

The size of a group that a set of arrows makes when shot, generally is a direct result of the build process. As a group. As an individual arrow, you could shoot just one arrow, over and over, and get a one arrow pattern of, say, 1" for example, at 40 yds. As soon as you shoot that 2nd arrow and it impacts 3" to the right or left, you'd say "I wish I had a dozen arrows just like that first one". That in reality is what the build process is all about. Spine indexing, spine matching, weight matching, and paying attention to detail so that each arrow built behaves and responds to the shot like every other arrow in the group. This produces the best possible chance for the greatest accuracy.

Do high end bow manufacturers go through this process with their arrows they sell with the package? No, not usually. Will the arrows that comes with the package produce accurate groups? Perhaps. Maybe. Depends on what you consider as accurate. You may find yourself culling a few out of a dozen to get the group size you're looking for.

My suggestion would be to buy the bow you decide upon, take one arrow that comes with the bow and shoot it over and over to get an idea of what you and the bow are capable of. Then shoot all of the arrows and evaluate them as a group. You may find that several will group together and others that just won't play well with the others.

A word of caution: when shooting multiple arrows, shoot at different aiming spots. For those arrows that do group together, it sucks when you robinhood an arrow, or have a hard slap, potentially ruining two arrows.

Sent from my SM-T860 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
10,850 Posts
If a deer is alert to you it can drop just like with a vertical bow but even at 300 fps it is hard for them to drop fast enough for you to miss them unless you are aiming fairly high. Here is a pic of a doe that saw me at the last second in a ground blind at 27 yards and tried her best to drop and spin. I was aiming just behind her shoulder for a mid DL shot and as you can see she almost made it but the arrow actually came out behind her offside shoulder fairly low.

·
9,008 Posts
Many … many, many times? Throw out my advice. In hundreds and hundreds of kills that I have intimate knowledge of including my own, neither me, nor any shooter whose deer I have seen, ever complained of a deer jumping the string.

Good luck with your crossbow purchase! (y)

1 - 20 of 31 Posts