Crossbow Nation banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking for a fixed blade to use on pigs as not entirely happy with the penatration of my mechs and normally they are trashed (one n done)
So my question to you folk is...st or qad exodus? Not really interested in to much else because of the price of b/h's in NZ $70-$80 / 3 pack. So apart from accuracy, toughness is high on the list of requirements so i dont have to re mortgage the house everytime i loose/break one .6 arrows ($220 once shortened) is harsh also. It's very , very thick gorse and blackberry where I hunt so putting them down fast is the go.
What are your thoughts/ experiences?

R26 , 17.5", 003",100 grn , 399 fps.

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
You will not find a more accurate nor tougher fixed head than the Tooth of the Arrow. Different sizes available but the 100gr will tear a pigz azz up.

·
4,530 Posts
I never shot the qad exodus so i can't comment on them. Slick tricks have been around for years and i have killed many deer and Turkeys with them. Right now i'm set up to use the Wicked tricks out of my Excalibur. There always a good choice. I know you said you really wasn't interested in any others. But the VPA are a fine head.

Accuracy lives in your arrow if its built right it should shoot the BH's good maybe not to the same POI as field tips but good.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Of the two options you listed, I would give the nood to the QAD Exodus.

If you're open to a BH that may better fit your budget, take a look at these.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
Wow that man knows how to abuse a b/h 🤣
For that price I'll give them a crack for sure. I like the 1 1/2 cut and think the r26 should push them right through, time will tell I guess.

Thank you all for your input, love this site for the well of knowledge.

·
Registered
16,309 Posts
If I didnt already have 4 doz 'china'-dermics I'd give a doz of these a go.

Reactions: robertyb

·
Registered
2,033 Posts
@OLDFLYER would this 1.5” broadhead fit in the barrel of the X1?
Lusk I remember when he compared a rage and a robusto. It seemed he was biased towards the robusto. Didn’t show the backside of the steel after the robusto and was really talking down the rage for bending.

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
I've shot and hunted with Slick Tricks and QAD Exodus the QAD Exodus is a lot stronger broadhead the way it is designed The Slick Tricks and Grizztricks weakest point is where the blades lock together behind the point, That being said I've never broke a blade from a Slick Trick on a deer but watched several videos where they failed during torture tests with other broadheads. Even though my favorite of the two is the QAD Exodus either one of those broadheads should perform just fine on a hog

·
Registered
644 Posts
So my question to you folk is...st or qad exodus?
I like the fact that the QAD Exodus has been around for about 10 years now, & their broadhead hasn't changed. You can choose between a full or swept blade & grains (100 & 125 Xbow broadhead with 22/64 washer). QAD doesn't offer any other broadhead style, and I respect that way more than a company that feels they need to crank out a new latest & greatest broadhead every year. I hate stupid marketing hype, & the archery industry is full of it. The QAD Exodus broadheads are not going anywhere. They are here to stay!

Their standard broadhead & xbow broadhead seem very similar (same specs). 1.25" cutting diameter, .040 blade thickness, and a profile that's very similar to most field points. What I mean by that - The length of an Exodus broadhead and a field point coming off the front of the arrow are about the same. Their reputation for accuracy is well documented. "Exodus broadheads are 100% designed and manufactured in the good ol’ USA." I am willing to pay extra for a well made U.S. products these days. It's a durable head, & I feel the blades would be easy to remove when sharpening or replacing.

QUAD Exodus Xbow =
$42.99 MSRP/3 broadheads = $14.33/broadhead
$21.59 replacement blades (9 blades/3 washers) = $7.20/broadhead (replacement blades)
$39.99/3-pack @ Walmart today (= $13.33/broadhead)

Don't overlook that the Exodus blades come back over the front of the arrow shaft. This could cause clearance issue for some.

I believe Slick Trick (made in the USA) started with their Magnum broadhead, and their smaller Standard broadhead was added to their line up (for faster shooting bows) later. The ST Xbow broadhead has the exact same specs as the Magnum broadhead. Personally, I think it is the exact same broadhead wrapped in a different package. The only difference I can see is the 3 options of (100, 125, & 150 grains for the Xbox broadhead). Exodus doesn't have the 150 grain option.

Spec-wise the ST Xbow broadhead has a 1.125" cutting diameter (1 1/8"), but keep in mind you have 4 blades cutting instead of three, and blade thickness is .035. Overall, it's a very low profile broadhead.

It's just my personal preference, but I prefer how the blades interlock inside of a ST ferrule. The Exodus tip looks more durable, but a ST tip looks like it would penetrate better. That may be a non-issue for a crossbow user, however. Both broadheads have the same reputation for accuracy. Keep in mind a ST Xbow 100, 125, & 150 broadhead will have/use the same blades. Thus, the 150 grain broadhead will have more metal in the ferrule (adding more strength most likely).

Slick Trick Xbow =
$44.99 MSRP/4 broadheads = $11.25/broadhead
$29.99 replacement blades (4-pack) = $7.50/broadhead (replacement blades)
$39.99/4-pack @ Walmart today (= $10/broadhead)

Unlike QAD offering one basic broadhead the Exodus, Slick Trick offers at least 10 different broadhead options. Slick Trick may play into the broadhead marketing hype more, but QAD is also more known for their other products (drop away rests & such).

My take - I like the rugged appearance of the QAD Exodus Xbow broadhead. I like the 4 cutting blades of the Slick Trick Xbow broadhead. The tie-breaker would be the head that flies the best out of my crossbow. If they hit the boiler room, they will both do their job.

I have no experience shooting hogs, but I have to believe both would work well.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I like the fact that the QAD Exodus has been around for about 10 years now, & their broadhead hasn't changed. You can choose between a full or swept blade & grains (100 & 125 Xbow broadhead with 22/64 washer). QAD doesn't offer any other broadhead style, and I respect that way more than a company that feels they need to crank out a new latest & greatest broadhead every year. I hate stupid marketing hype, & the archery industry is full of it. The QAD Exodus broadheads are not going anywhere. They are here to stay!

Their standard broadhead & xbow broadhead seem very similar (same specs). 1.25" cutting diameter, .040 blade thickness, and a profile that's very similar to most field points. What I mean by that - The length of an Exodus broadhead and a field point coming off the front of the arrow are about the same. Their reputation for accuracy is well documented. "Exodus broadheads are 100% designed and manufactured in the good ol’ USA." I am willing to pay extra for a well made U.S. products these days. It's a durable head, & I feel the blades would be easy to remove when sharpening or replacing.

QUAD Exodus Xbow =
$42.99 MSRP/3 broadheads = $14.33/broadhead
$21.59 replacement blades (9 blades/3 washers) = $7.20/broadhead (replacement blades)
$39.99/3-pack @ Walmart today (= $13.33/broadhead)

Don't overlook that the Exodus blades come back over the front of the arrow shaft. This could cause clearance issue for some.

I believe Slick Trick (made in the USA) started with their Magnum broadhead, and their smaller Standard broadhead was added to their line up (for faster shooting bows) later. The ST Xbow broadhead has the exact same specs as the Magnum broadhead. Personally, I think it is the exact same broadhead wrapped in a different package. The only difference I can see is the 3 options of (100, 125, & 150 grains for the Xbox broadhead). Exodus doesn't have the 150 grain option.

Spec-wise the ST Xbow broadhead has a 1.125" cutting diameter (1 1/8"), but keep in mind you have 4 blades cutting instead of three, and blade thickness is .035. Overall, it's a very low profile broadhead.

It's just my personal preference, but I prefer how the blades interlock inside of a ST ferrule. The Exodus tip looks more durable, but a ST tip looks like it would penetrate better. That may be a non-issue for a crossbow user, however. Both broadheads have the same reputation for accuracy. Keep in mind a ST Xbow 100, 125, & 150 broadhead will have/use the same blades. Thus, the 150 grain broadhead will have more metal in the ferrule (adding more strength most likely).

Slick Trick Xbow =
$44.99 MSRP/4 broadheads = $11.25/broadhead
$29.99 replacement blades (4-pack) = $7.50/broadhead (replacement blades)
$39.99/4-pack @ Walmart today (= $10/broadhead)

Unlike QAD offering one basic broadhead the Exodus, Slick Trick offers at least 10 different broadhead options. Slick Trick may play into the broadhead marketing hype more, but QAD is also more known for their other products (drop away rests & such).

My take - I like the rugged appearance of the QAD Exodus Xbow broadhead. I like the 4 cutting blades of the Slick Trick Xbow broadhead. The tie-breaker would be the head that flies the best out of my crossbow. If they hit the boiler room, they will both do their job.

I have no experience shooting hogs, but I have to believe both would work well.
Thank you for taking the time to research/write that reply its very helpful and much appreciated.
In the past I've used the st magnum through my carbon spider turbo with no complaints at all but the ravin is much harder on b/h's hence the question. If the deepower 1.5" I've ordered are unsatisfactory then I'll try the qad (only because I've not tried in the past) if still no joy the ST it is.
Thanks again for your time.

·
14,038 Posts
Looking for ... a super tough broadhead with tremendous penetration, this is the one that would get my vote. 1-inch 4-Blade Fixed Broadheads | Tooth of the Arrow Broadheads Four solid steel blades, no leverage points or cantilevers, no joints or mated parts, and a heavy solid straight shank, all machined from one steel billet. Unbeatable characteristics for durability.

·
Registered
2,575 Posts
IMO, no doubt properly placed it will kill . But as I have found out especially in the Florida palmettos. If you don't retrieve your hog within 25 yards then you may be in trouble. Because of swamp, marsh and just pure thickness of very low brush , its difficult to track. That's why for bear and hogs I want a big bloodtrail. Again that just my experience.

·
14,038 Posts
IMO, no doubt properly placed it will kill . But as I have found out especially in the Florida palmettos. If you don't retrieve your hog within 25 yards then you may be in trouble. Because of swamp, marsh and just pure thickness of very low brush , its difficult to track. That's why for bear and hogs I want a big bloodtrail. Again that just my experience.
I remember ... down in south Texas the nasty thorny stuff was so thick that the way to kill anything was to lure it out of the brush because you weren't going in after it...lol
Plant Property Building Tree Branch
Butcher Wood Working animal Art T-shirt

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Nail on the head.

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
I'm looking for a fixed blade to use on pigs as not entirely happy with the penatration of my mechs and normally they are trashed (one n done)
So my question to you folk is...st or qad exodus? Not really interested in to much else because of the price of b/h's in NZ $70-$80 / 3 pack. So apart from accuracy, toughness is high on the list of requirements so i dont have to re mortgage the house everytime i loose/break one .6 arrows ($220 once shortened) is harsh also. It's very , very thick gorse and blackberry where I hunt so putting them down fast is the go.

If you are in the experimental stage of trying fixed blade heads, try Zwickeys. They come in a few different sizes. They can be made as screw on or glue on. The only drawback if it is one is you have to sharpen them but, at 7 bucks a head give or take I can say they are pretty tough.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts