Crossbow Nation banner
21 - 38 of 38 Posts

·
4,530 Posts
IMO, no doubt properly placed it will kill . But as I have found out especially in the Florida palmettos. If you don't retrieve your hog within 25 yards then you may be in trouble. Because of swamp, marsh and just pure thickness of very low brush , its difficult to track. That's why for bear and hogs I want a big bloodtrail. Again that just my experience.
I agree 100% yes properly placed kills. But properly placed with a bigger cut kills faster. You got swamps and thick I got steep hills and thick. Plus i can drag one 100yds or 50 for example that's enough for me.

Hunt what you hunt how you want to hunt it.

·
Registered
16,309 Posts
I have 3 doz China swhackers , they are doing this business on thinner skinned game but could be better on the pork.
Have just ordered 1 doz of the deepower now just have to wait 2-3 weeks to find em In the mail box.
Let me know how you like 'em and how well they match up to field points.

Reactions: Sleek1

·
Registered
17 Posts
check out Magnus. I'm considering switching to them after a failure with my Ramcat.

There's a youtube video of them shooting Magnus broadheads thru a steel drum lid. Pretty impressive.

·
Registered
644 Posts
check out Magnus. I'm considering switching to them after a failure with my Ramcat.

There's a youtube video of them shooting Magnus broadheads thru a steel drum lid. Pretty impressive.
I've heard good things about Magnus broadheads, & they come with a lifetime replacement warranty. The Black Hornets look like a great head. My only knock on them is I don't like broadheads that use screw(s) to secure blades. It's not a total deal breaker. Just not my first preference.

·
14,038 Posts

What was ... the failure with your Ramcat? They killed way better than you'd think they would just by looking at them. I swore by those heads until I had two snap off at the shank BEFORE reaching the deer. Bedded deer was shot through the neck, then traveled through the entire body and out. Only stopped by hitting the ground!
Bicycle Bicycle frame Bicycle handlebar Tire Bicycle tire
Fawn Plant Terrestrial animal Grass Groundcover
Leg Plant Botany Mammal Gesture
Plant Terrestrial plant Grass Fawn Terrestrial animal

·
Registered
17 Posts
What was ... the failure with your Ramcat? They killed way better than you'd think they would just by looking at them. I swore by those heads until I had two snap off at the shank BEFORE reaching the deer. Bedded deer was shot through the neck, then traveled through the entire body and out. Only stopped by hitting the ground!
My Ramcat failure was a broken blade. 18 yard shot. It killed the buck but I found the broadhead with front 7 inches of arrow on the ground near impact area with one blade broken off and another bent. It appeared to be a slightly quartering away shot but his opposite front leg was apparently back and it hit the scapula on the exit. Arrow obviously broke and I found the back 6 inches of arrow with fletching in the left lung. He had a decent blood trail for first 50 yards, then I lost it and just started circling in the direction he was running, found him about 100 yards or so from impact. Anyway, it got me thinking about a more robust head. I've had great success with Ramcats, especially like how they fly just like my field points. But I think I'll see how my rig shoots a Magnus Black Hornet Serrated.

·
Registered
28 Posts
For fixed blades I like the Slick Trick crossbow heads. Have them in 100, 125 and 150 grains. Used to have them in 175 grains. At 20 yards I would go heavy to help with pass through. Hogs can have thick tuff hides causing little blood trails without a pass through.

·
14,038 Posts
For fixed blades I like the Slick Trick crossbow heads. Have them in 100, 125 and 150 grains. Used to have them in 175 grains. At 20 yards I would go heavy to help with pass through. Hogs can have thick tuff hides causing little blood trails without a pass through.
Jaw Art Liver Bird Feather

·
Registered
2,033 Posts
@OLDFLYER would this 1.5” broadhead fit in the barrel of the X1?
Lusk I remember when he compared a rage and a robusto. It seemed he was biased towards the robusto. Didn’t show the backside of the steel after the robusto and was really talking down the rage for bending.
Got mine today and the 1.5” will not fit in the barrel of the Swat X1

·
Registered
644 Posts
My Ramcat failure was a broken blade. 18 yard shot. It killed the buck but I found the broadhead with front 7 inches of arrow on the ground near impact area with one blade broken off and another bent. It appeared to be a slightly quartering away shot but his opposite front leg was apparently back and it hit the scapula on the exit. Arrow obviously broke and I found the back 6 inches of arrow with fletching in the left lung. He had a decent blood trail for first 50 yards, then I lost it and just started circling in the direction he was running, found him about 100 yards or so from impact. Anyway, it got me thinking about a more robust head. I've had great success with Ramcats, especially like how they fly just like my field points. But I think I'll see how my rig shoots a Magnus Black Hornet Serrated.
If you liked the Ramcat but wanted a similar broadhead that was much tougher, I would consider the QAD Exodus. QAD Exodus gets positive reviews. Magnus broadheads are a good choice, too.

I am content with Slick Trick (Viper Trick) broadheads, but the QAD Exodus or Magnus broadheads would be what I would look at if I weren't happy with what I have.

I favor two holes (exit hole) over a super wide cut that may not give me an exit hole. That's coming from a compound shooters perspective, however. A high speed crossbow may be able to give you both, but heads like QAD Exodus and Magnus broadhead may be more durable after the shot.

Lots of good choices. I remember when most shot Muzzy or Thunderheads.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 · (Edited)
Let me know how you like 'em and how well they match up to field points.
As requested, they turned up on Monday and after a sight in which destroyed my target I was suitability impressed with the grouping and cut. Sharp out of the box ready to do the damage. The only downside I have at the moment is they are to big in diameter to fit into the ravin quiver.
Tonight I sat in the tree for 10 minutes before pigs turned up and I let one fly.
Fair to say I'm sold, going to order a bunch more and that's me. He made it 17 paces from point of impact, perfect when blackberry is only a meter away.
Can see the orange knock just to right reticle in Pic buried in the dirt, blew right through with ease.(small boar 70 ish lb)

Attachments

·
5,484 Posts
Sorry that one was too big and didn't work out. Here's a couple more budget friendly's for your review

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
I know Lusk can always pop that balloon at 80 yards, but I tried the Deep Power 3 blade. They aren’t too heavy, they spin true, but consistently shoot low compared to both field points and other heads ( slick tricks, Ramcats, Magnus, etc.). Haven’t been able to figure out why, but kinda lost interest in them because of that.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
I don't practice with field points so can't say where the poi is in relation to the 1.5 deepower. Practice with what you're going to hunt with is my theory.
Here is the Pig laying naturally, I have not opened the cut at all only given him a rinse in a stream after gutting.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,033 Posts
I don't practice with field points so can't say where the poi is in relation to the 1.5 deepower. Practice with what you're going to hunt with is my theory.
Here is the Pig laying naturally, I have not opened the cut at all only given him a rinse in a stream after gutting.
Rinsed in a stream? That doesn’t sound good.

21 - 38 of 38 Posts