Crossbow Nation banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,246 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We are coming due for string changes soon on our TenPoint Vapor, Ravin R26 and CenterPoint 370.
This has probably been asked before and I've probably read it before but have forgotten.

When we received the xbows new, we merely took them out, assembled as required and shot them right away.
After a string change, is it better to leave the xbow cocked for a few hours prior to shooting to let the cables stretch then check the CAM timing?
Or just pick them up from the local shop and start launching arrows?

Thanks for any advice.

Cheers,
dynamo61

·
Registered
2,885 Posts
I just shoot mine a few times then recheck ATA and adjust it out if they stretch any. Usually only takes one adjustment on mine. Maybe half a twist or so.....

Reactions: dynamo61

·
Premium Member
1,246 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I just shoot mine a few times then recheck ATA and adjust it out if they stretch any. Usually only takes one adjustment on mine. Maybe half a twist or so.....
Oops, I forgot ATA measuerment, thanks for the reminder, Tnmtns!

Reactions: Tnmtns

·
Registered
2,885 Posts
Oops, I forgot ATA measuerment, thanks for the reminder, Tnmtns!
No problem and that's pretty important step to NOT skip,LOL.

·
Registered
1,849 Posts
Is it very important to keep the ATA at factory standards?
Recently I noticed a lot of stretch and got the Ripper adjusted back to standard ATA with good timing.
But I wasn't having any accuracy issues even to 80 yards before the tune up. No speed ring change required

·
Premium Member
1,246 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Is it very important to keep the ATA at factory standards?
Recently I noticed a lot of stretch and got the Ripper adjusted back to standard ATA with good timing.
But I wasn't having any accuracy issues even to 80 yards before the tune up. No speed ring change required
I am not 100% sure but I think as long as the timing marks are equal on both CAMS, it should be ok, save for a small FPS change.

Reactions: Spot-on-arrow

·
Registered
1,849 Posts
I am not 100% sure but I think as long as the timing marks are equal on both CAMS, it should be ok, save for a small FPS change.
Just what I am thinking. As long as the scope speed is set so that all my reticle marks are in tune I could care less. That way I can shoot long range for fun.

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
Dynamo,
Remember with your R26 as is the case with any Ravin, there's no rail channel to guide the arrow.
Hence, it has to be treated a little different after cable/string change. As Riflenut and I have noted in the past, it's important that no arrow be nocked after the changeout Until cam lean has been removed, cams synched and then timed, and finally the string and cable serving settled in the cam grooves. Any good quality set of strings for a Ravin should be prestretched at the factory before served. But the serving needs to be stretched (so to speak) by cocking and decocking your Ravin about a half doz. times. Some prefer to leave the bow cocked for a few hours but that's personal preference. I personally think approx. 10 mins. between cocking cycles is probably adequate.
Then recheck cam timing before shooting your first arrow.
This should help ensure the nock groove created on the center serving will not shift after dozens of shots.
However, for those Ravin shooters who are really picky about tuning, I'd also suggest they look to see if the nock notch has moved laterally even slightly after a few doz. shots. If so, I'd suggest they move the notch back to the center between the rails as it was when they took their first shot.
This can be accomplished by adding a half twist to the cables on one cam and taking a half twist out of the cables on the other cam. For example, if the notch has moved to the left, add the half twist to the right cam. If the notch is still not in the center, add another half twist to one side and take another half twist out of the other side.
Based on my experience, your Ravin will drive tacks even at long range if the arrow's launch path stays in the center between the rail edges.

·
Premium Member
1,246 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Dynamo,
Remember with your R26 as is the case with any Ravin, there's no rail channel to guide the arrow.
Hence, it has to be treated a little different after cable/string change. As Riflenut and I have noted in the past, it's important that no arrow be nocked after the changeout Until cam lean has been removed, cams synched and then timed, and finally the string and cable serving settled in the cam grooves. Any good quality set of strings for a Ravin should be prestretched at the factory before served. But the serving needs to be stretched (so to speak) by cocking and decocking your Ravin about a half doz. times. Some prefer to leave the bow cocked for a few hours but that's personal preference. I personally think approx. 10 mins. between cocking cycles is probably adequate.
Then recheck cam timing before shooting your first arrow.
This should help ensure the nock groove created on the center serving will not shift after dozens of shots.
However, for those Ravin shooters who are really picky about tuning, I'd also suggest they look to see if the nock notch has moved laterally even slightly after a few doz. shots. If so, I'd suggest they move the notch back to the center between the rails as it was when they took their first shot.
This can be accomplished by adding a half twist to the cables on one cam and taking a half twist out of the cables on the other cam. For example, if the notch has moved to the left, add the half twist to the right cam. If the notch is still not in the center, add another half twist to one side and take another half twist out of the other side.
Based on my experience, your Ravin will drive tacks even at long range if the arrow's launch path stays in the center between the rail edges.
BigBird1, your message is getting saved, printed and taken to the Archery Store with the Ravin R26.
Thanks to you and Riflenut for sharing your experiences and tweaking the Ravins.
(y)

Reactions: Spot-on-arrow
1 - 9 of 9 Posts