Crossbow Nation banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
13,221 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
...I removed the corn feeders in hopes that without supplemental feeding they'd move on. With temps in the 90's daily with very high humidities I didn't even want to think about hunting them.:( After a week I only got one picture of a lone boar looking for feed. Hopefully after this week I wont see any so I hope they've moved on and I can place the feeder back out. Whatda you guys think? I wanna get those bucks back used to visiting the plot where the feeder is on regular basis again.

07-18-20 033.JPG

·
Registered
525 Posts
Sooner or later the hogs will be back. The deer learn to come when the hogs aren’t there. I’ve seen times when nighttime hog activity has forced normally nocturnal deer to come to feeders in daylight to avoid the hogs.

Reactions: Hidden Waters

·
Premium Member
1,072 Posts
Wow, wish they had some of them in NE Wisconsin, I’d be shootin daily!
Careful what you wish for.
My BIL was telling me last weekend that there are feral hogs here in SW Ontario now.
He is an avid rifle and bow hunter, soon switching to crossbow due to shoulder probs (sound familiar anyone?).
We are being told not to shoot them but to report them.
He figures so the local gov't can charge $ to hunt them LOL.

Reactions: wildcatter

·
Registered
418 Posts
...I removed the corn feeders in hopes that without supplemental feeding they'd move on. With temps in the 90's daily with very high humidities I didn't even want to think about hunting them.:( After a week I only got one picture of a lone boar looking for feed. Hopefully after this week I wont see any so I hope they've moved on and I can place the feeder back out. Whatda you guys think? I wanna get those bucks back used to visiting the plot where the feeder is on regular basis again.

View attachment 182038
That is what crossed my mind too, just take the corn out. Perhaps I should, just 2 weeks till opening day... really pretty ticked off...

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
We only have several small pops of pigs in BC. The Gov't basically called it a free for all, and it's look'n like we're get'n them under control! I feel bad for you guys that have 'em bad! There's almost noth'n worse to get under control, as many of you know! If I had a bunch like that around here, I'd be trying my hardest to kill as many asap!!!! Best is catching a whack at a time in a pen idea! Then deal with them!

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
I have taken out some especially the past two summer here in NE Arkansas. They are nothing but trouble. I took matters in my own hands. This bulldozer boar was knocking down feeders until I decided to try to night hunt him. It worked last July 1. I had trailcam aimed at the feeder from the left. He showed me how to root the legs of a feeder out of the ground. Then he learned he could bump them and knock corn out. Next he simply kept hit one leg until the feeder folded to the ground. He worked about 15 hours of 3 nights until he got it down so he knocked the top off and got to to the corn.What a beasts!!

20190701_103539.jpg

This year with corn these liked it so I took out four boars. The rest stopped coming around when you kill a few here.
This photos is what the showed before I started shooting this July.
20200727_193913.jpg

20200727_231424.jpg

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
Wouldn't a ring of hogwire keep them out. Whitetails would jump it with ease. A few nights of paintball fun on the perimeter should discourage them.

·
Registered
13,221 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
From a month ago after removing the feeder for a couple weeks it seems they all left except for this one boar. He frequents about 2 nights out of 7 to see what's lying around...

·
Registered
9,311 Posts
My guess is they'll be back when the corn is. Hope not for your sake though.

When deer season is over I'd start hunting them hard before it gets hot next summer. Let me know if you want some company.

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
From a month ago after removing the feeder for a couple weeks it seems they all left except for this one boar. He frequents about 2 nights out of 7 to see what's lying around...

View attachment 183466
View attachment 183467
If the boar accidently hits a feeder leg to knock corn on the ground it could be bad news. That feeder might look silly laying on the ground empty

·
Registered
13,221 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Bow season opens here in two weeks and I hunt that stand ALOT. If he shows I'll hurt him.;)

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
Bow season opens here in two weeks and I hunt that stand ALOT. If he shows I'll hurt him.;)
Good luck!
In five years of hunting the same land I shoot 2 hogs while setting in stand for deer. They figure it out somehow. They don't get in trailcam view much either during that time.

·
Registered
13,221 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Well....a month later and a week away from bow season....and they are back!:(:(:(

Dang it!:mad::mad::mad:

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
🥶😡🤬🚣🏿‍♂️🐖🐖🐖🐖🐷🐽 shoot all of them

Reactions: Gabowman

·
Registered
13,221 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Well, I said if this fella shows up I'd hurt him....so tonite I did!

He came out of the woods at last light scaring off 4 deer already feeding on the greens in the plot. He went straight for the feeder munching up as much corn as he could in record time. Feeder was 20-25 yards from stand. Problem was light was fading fast and he only offered quartering-to or broad side shots. Never did he offer a quartering away which I was wanting. Light was going so fast seeing the crosshairs was getting to be a problem so since I knew he was too big a boar to do anything with all I wanted to do as take him out. So...when he was standing broadside I took the shot into the stomach. I'm sure that will kill him. He had my arrow and broadhead when he left the plot and he was hauling tail running over about everything when he went down the holler. I looked far enough to make sure he wasn't lying close as to stink up my hunting spot but I'm sure with the way I aimed he didn't drop fast....atleast I was hoping not. So...the main boar is now toast. Hopefully the others wont show up anymore. I am hoping so anyways.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts