Crossbow Nation banner

41 - 60 of 111 Posts

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
We test broadheads for penetration. It's not hard to make the test consistent. Why not the same for vanes? They can't all be the same.

·
Vendor
828 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
Ah yes, golf. I did my best to get on the golf tour. I thought it would be a fun way to make a living and the money was too good to not try. I had the game but couldn't get a sponsor to back me. Close but no cigar.

There is a whole other part of he build that we didnt scratch the surface on. This is why I don't recommend using Aero Vane without other more intended components.

·
Vendor
828 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
We test broadheads for penetration. It's not hard to make the test consistent. Why not the same for vanes? They can't all be the same.

No I agree they are not, but I think you have missed my point in my first comment to you.. By a vane having less drag and speed in increased logically it is possible for the arrow to have better penetration. It was actually the starting premiss of my post with not all vanes being the same.

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
No I agree they are not, but I think you have missed my point in my first comment to you.. By a vane having less drag and speed in increased logically it is possible for the arrow to have better penetration.
No, I understood what you said. Yes, if a vane gives more fps it's going to penetrate better. However, a vane that penetrates better than the one that flies better may still end up with better penetration. Maybe not. FPS it probably more important. It could be important to a low poundage shooter who shoots at close distance. They're looking for all the penetration they can find. A good penetrating vane could help them.

Maybe it doesn't matter at all but I have a curious mind.

·
Registered
3,461 Posts
I'm really not understanding all the " penetration" debate! Who is NOT already getting pass throughs with their crossbows???

·
Vendor
828 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
No, I understood what you said. Yes, if a vane gives more fps it's going to penetrate better. However, a vane that penetrates better than the one that flies better may still end up with better penetration. Maybe not. FPS it probably more important. It could be important to a low poundage shooter who shoots at close distance. They're looking for all the penetration they can find. A good penetrating vane could help them.

Maybe it doesn't matter at all but I have a curious mind.

You'd have to ask Firenock this, but I beilive he had a shooter with vertical bow and a 26 dl , if I recall right the bow was only 50-55lb and the arrow went through an elk. Your question though is broad. Faster vs more efficient You can take a faster arrow at launch speed , but if the arrow ballistic launch co-efficient sucks then the arrow and even the head may not live up to the potential.

·
Vendor
828 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
I'm really not understanding all the " penetration" debate! Who is NOT already getting pass throughs with their crossbows???

Thats a good point within most hunting distances lets say under 50yrds I really don't recall seeing a lot of penetration issues. Yes can one arrow penetrate better than the other sure. Are there better more effective builds for African game absolutely. Energy delivery and cavaitiation I think hit the nail on the head a little harder and how the arrow is able to maximize something like "FOC"

·
Registered
3,461 Posts
Reactions: jbw and dynamo61

·
Registered
409 Posts
Found it. I thought I had one showing the Quickspin as the slowest, could have been another article. Sometimes different articles have different results. ;)

Not sure why they put right offset on the QS.

That’s a good article, thanks for posting.

·
Registered
3,461 Posts
Reactions: dynamo61

·
Registered
6,020 Posts
If someone was going to compare how different vanes compared to each other - wouldn’t you have to use the SAME shaft for all vane tests?

I’m not convinced an apples to apples test of lets say 10 different vanes with 10 different shafts would be 100% accurate.

Seems like the only real test would be to shoot a particular vane, strip it, refletch with the next vane, and continue on.

Maybe you could use bare shafts only at distance and only use the ones that hit the same hole. One might also need something like a Hooter Shooter to cradle the crossbow exactly the same.

·
Vendor
828 Posts
Discussion Starter #60
If someone was going to compare how different vanes compared to each other - wouldn’t you have to use the SAME shaft for all vane tests?

I’m not convinced an apples to apples test of lets say 10 different vanes with 10 different shafts would be 100% accurate.

Seems like the only real test would be to shoot a particular vane, strip it, refletch with the next vane, and continue on.

Maybe you could use bare shafts only at distance and only use the ones that hit the same hole. One might also need something like a Hooter Shooter to cradle the crossbow exactly the same.

No, you've missed my point about 3-4 times that I mentioned use intended of vanes is not with other randomly selected components. While you can achieve some benefits, less noise , less cross wind sig maybe the Aero 2 shoots at the upper end of the pack still, but the benefits of Aero Vane especially Av3 happen when you have a complete system and maximizes with Concept 1.0 and Concept 2.0.

First issue of the test is the fps numbers are really at the starting points of Aero Vane which is 280fps.. Actually they are on the slower side (276fps) as to where the bow and shooters really needs to be tuned well to see to make it happen. It's like saying we are going to stick a Ferrari motor in a Prius and except the Prius to handle around turns the same way a Ferrari does. It makes no sense, but that is what the test was, an Aero Vane on whatever other component parts.

My testing on vertical bow with Aero Vane 3 build on a Mckinny shaft with a 2.0 out of my New Breed yielded a launch speed of 310fps.. Now keep in mind the test LC did they lost somewhere around 15-20fpsish pending arrow at 30 yrds which is good considering the bow and shooter were tuned , it was a tournament bow I would expect nothing less. That being said my build @50yrds shot 281fps which is about 9.5% loss in speed from 3ft- 50yrds. Now the speed end of it I really could care less about imo fps numbers as if that is the only factor of arrow flight its really narrow minded. The really cool part is my 2.0 build mentioned based on a 20yr zero only dropped about 4-6inches (on the conservative end) at 45yrds using the SAME pin. That means, in vertical bow, based on my set up, my shooting and of course my build I could be within the tolerance of a deer's heart using 1 pin anywhere I aim between 20 and 45 yrds. And that is due to gyroscopic precession using a lift based system..

When the shooter stops trying to reason everything out using "fps" charts and consider other factors than it is easy to understand other stuff. Like how this guy is able to keep this wheel up without the wheel going down the road attached to a bicycle. ;)

41 - 60 of 111 Posts