Crossbow Nation banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
Darton Serpent, Serpend LTD, Viper SSxtreme and Scorpyd Aculeus 135lbs
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The pictures were taken under tournament conditions with not perfectly matched equipment with a crossbow Darton Serpent with Triggertec trigger.The arrows weigh 31.4g (485grn) with a tip and initially moved towards the target at around 290Fps. The crossbow and the arrows can do it much better than the untrained overweight shooter who struggled to get up again and again, load and run 70m(76,55y) to the target after every 3rd arrow.
It was a slightly gusty day but for the outliers only their own inability and their own training state is responsible.
Yellow Rectangle Red Circle Recreation
Facial expression White Rectangle Yellow Red
Paint Art Red Rectangle Circle
Red Rectangle Font Circle Symbol
Facial expression White Red Circle Rectangle
Red Circle Rectangle Recreation Art
White Red Art Circle Font
Colorfulness Red Rectangle Art Circle
Colorfulness Red Font Circle Art

Speed is overrated unless it concerns one's own reaction and movement or thinking.

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
Interesting results. Was the same arrow shot at the same target each time ? It was it run up and grab all 3 arrows and just shoot them in any order?

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
No, it makes no sense to change the target and the arrow, continuity and predictability can only be achieved halfway if you always use the same target with the same arrow.
Didn't have the crossbow in my hand for a year before the tournament and ruined me when shooting 2 good arrows because I had shot with much heavier tips because of previously very modest weather. And yet the crossbow is dripping with its arrows, only I could not get out everything that would have been in it.
3 months after broken collarbone, completely without training and still 10Kg heavy as before, I was quite satisfied with the result.
In the end, my knees were like handballs from the eternal up and down between shot and tension.
The night before was also long until early at 5, I was satisfied in the conditions to achieve this result. I didn't even hope for that. Unfortunately, in the last 4 passes later, pictures not available because of concentration on pain ignorance, I have hailed the result. Triggering in gusts cost me 20 points. But one thing was only possible, pain control or targetl and environmental control.
It was a nice weekend with friends in a difficult time(the big C).

This is the lady who makes almost everything possible!
Machine gun Air gun Trigger Shotgun Gun barrel

However, without the support handle, which is for the standing disciplines.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
@wb_hunter 3months under lack of exercise with far too good food because of the broken collarbone just leave traces!:cry:
A person may still hear this serpent at 60m (without environmental noise), my black goddess (Darton Serpent LTD) can hardly be heard even in quiet surroundings. Animals that are much better at being heard well possibly, but whether this quietly dull "plopp" is perceived as a threat I can not assess. In any case, it is in a reduced frequency which is harder to locate. For me, however, these are sports equipment, it does not matter what is possible and what is not. I think I have to do a volume test between my 4 main devices although the order by feeling is already fixed. The loudest is the Darton Viper SSxtreme, then the Scorpyd Aculeus 135 with spring-loaded tendon damper should come, then comes with a greater distance the Serpent and then with a clear distance to the Serpent comes my Serpent LTD. The noise due to the adjacent body on the device is probably perceived differently than at a distance of a few meters.

·
Registered
Ravin R10, R20, Excalibur, Scorpyd nemesis 480, Assassin 420TD
39 Posts
Nice to meet an american guy speaking french. Do you know Yves Nadeau alias "flèche perdue" from Quebec? he made amazing videos around 10 years ago (Robin hood at 167 yards)..https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=giJAXHE77AM&t=5s&ab_channel=flecheperdue

·
Registered
2,053 Posts
I still own my Darton Serpent LTD 2.
It' s a well crafted crossbow but not even in the same league as my Ravin R10.
Not only is my R10 lighter and faster, but it's an order of magnitude easier to cock and decock when sitting in a tree stand.
It also never needs any rail lube because it doesn't have a rail. You also don't have to worry about cable slide wear because there isn't one.
As far as accuracy, that's strictly a function of the shooter's knowledge and the arrows he builds or purchases. But with that said, I never had any accuracy issues with the Darton. I did with the Ravin until I learned how to fix it.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
@bigbird1
I haven't used rail lubricant for years, but my strings and cables still last extremely long (7,000 arrows last the cables and 10,000 the string). Yes, the crossbow is heavier and wider than the Ravin, but it is more stable to hold and you tend to notice tilting errors even without a spirit level.
A light crossbow may have advantages when hunting, but in sports, especially when standing, more weight brings clear advantages.
Since I only cock my crossbow when I use it, I know the problem of uncocking only from the timing control, with a short piece of arrow shaft with capture nock it was never a problem for me. This can also be done without a 2nd man if you know what you are doing.
Of course, the Ravins can show their higher accuracy due to the arrow speed achieved, but so far I've been disappointed with the hit performance I've seen from some users. But it will certainly be possible to minimize it with the appropriate technology.
Except for the Viper SSxtreme, my dartons are significantly heavier than the originals. The Serpent is 13.9lb and the fully equipped LTD 1 is 15.2lb.
But these crossbows are sports equipment, they can be heavier. However, you need appropriate training in order to be able to handle them for a correspondingly long time. Tournament days can be long.
Perhaps a 350 fps Ravin would be gentler on the material and more durable, but even then it would have limitations that make it unusable for my areas of application. I don't feel like financing a complete maintenance after every 2nd training session at the latest, having a damaged protective winding after 20 arrows in every tournament or similar problems, which for me are absolute exclusion criteria. I need a crossbow that simply delivers maximum performance for a very long time with minimal maintenance.
That's why the Serpent and Serpent LTD are irreplaceable in my inventory so far.

·
Registered
2,053 Posts
Raziel,
There's different crossbows available out there for a reason. Everyone has different needs and different criteria to fill.
Just so you know, I guarantee I can easily get over a 1000 shots on the same set of cables and strings on either of my Ravins but I don't use Ravin strings. I just ask you to don't believe everything you hear about Ravins being high maintenance because they Aren't if you Know what you're Doing.
As you alluded to, what works for target shooters doesn't necessarily work as well for hunting. There's no way in this world I'm lugging around a 15 lb. or even 13 lb. crossbow for hunting. But my R10 is no longer lightweight either because I have a 2 pound scope on it. In fact, with my stock extension and heavy recoil pad and all my other accessories, it's more like 10.5 pounds. But I'm also 6'6" tall and must have the additional LOP just like what my Serpent LTD 2 provided.
I'm glad you like your Dartons because that was my first choice in crossbows years ago. Darton made a quality product but as I age toward my middle 70s, I find I'm more interested in making stuff for crossbows as opposed to shooting them all the time. However, I still very much enjoy bowhunting and fortunately, can still climb tree stands. I used to take pride in shooting tight groups at long range but now I enjoy just walking out on my front porch and killing a 1/2" dot at 30 to 40 yards with the first shot. That's as far as I want to shoot an animal anyway.
Best of luck to you in tournament shooting and I hope you continue to enjoy your Dartons.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Raziel,
Best of luck to you in tournament shooting and I hope you continue to enjoy your Dartons.
I still hope that Darton will eventually come out with a well modifiable crossbow for target shooting.
It would also be nice if some manufacturers finally made sporty, modifiable stocks.
Unfortunately, the development of the last few years shows more and more that it is all about increasing the profit margin and achieving maximum profits with minimal effort. No manufacturer seems to be really interested in bringing out maximum quality for reasonable prices.
The Scorpyds are quite good, but they still have a lot of potential for improvement.
The trigger unit is great and the workmanship is good, but I'm not a fan of these attached cables. With this configuration you can never set your timing 100% and you always have a slight jerking of the crossbow when firing. If you fix the crossbow in the grip or rest, it's ok, but if, like me, you only want to support the device loosely, then you have slight right-left deviations in the hit pattern.
For an arrow or two you can focus on doing everything right, but in stressful situations you tend to fall back into otherwise working standards and then you get angry about it.
That's why I only use my Scorpyd once for a 3d competition.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
Why not just use a recurve xbow for competition, since they don’t have any cables?
I like it when the crossbow triggers softly, is very quiet and I can use any scope on it for a very long time.
All my scopes are far too valuable to me to scrap on a recurve.
So a recurve is out of the question.
The only recurve I have is an Excel Apex with a blue rail and black limbs. It's a shame that Excal messed around with these a bit.
A nice crossbow to work on your weaknesses from time to time.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts