Crossbow Nation banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Curious if anyone else has had broken string issues on their 415? I bought mine in November and shot maybe 50 bolts through it sighting it in etc. It shoots great. I'm definitely impressed with it, took a doe with it no issues. Then I put a better scope on it and was sighting it back in and the string broke. I had just looked at the string when I put the scope on and it looked fine - I dabbed some wax on it just because they say to do it once in a while but it wasn't showing any wear. I took it to my local bow shop who makes strings, I know the guy well and have bought a compound bow and strings from him in the past - never an issue. He made up a new string for the 415 and shot a few bolts and the new string broke on him within a few shots. At that point I switched back to my compound bow for the rest of hunting season as the rut was in full swing.

I just contacted Velocity Outdoor (who owns Centerpoint) and they were great - they are sending a new string and even will reimburse me for any related labor. They said they haven't had an unusual amount of calls about broken strings on the 415 so I thought I'd ask here. When the new string arrives I'll put several more bolts through it and hope I just had bad luck previously but I'm curious if any of you have had similar issues with the 415? Yes I fully seat my bolt against the string and I only use half-moon nocks.

Again, the bow shoots great and I couldn't be happier with the customer support so far.

Thanks for your input.

·
Registered
7,056 Posts
No issue at all with the 415 strings. If you don't treat them correctly and use GOOD string and rail lube, the servings will wear quickly. Wax alone is not enough. Look at the Scorpion Venom products.

Generally serving wear on a newish bow can be fixed by replacing that section of the serving. I'd shy away from that shop that built a new string that promptly came apart.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Good to know its not a common problem.

OK so I'm new to crossbows - I bought one this fall because of a rotator cuff issue that made it almost impossible to use my compound bow (it sucks getting old). Is there a 'primer' on how best to care for the string and the rest of the bow somewhere? Or can it be easily summed up here? The instructions that came with the bow just said to wax the string every XX shots and don't overwax it due to residue issues. Or at least that's what I recall... Thanks

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
OK let me ask it another way - should occasional lubing of the string and the rail (roughly every XX(?) shots) be all that's required to keep strings in good shape? Thanks!

·
Registered
16,636 Posts
Only thing I do different is I do wax my servings very lightly and only as needed. I rub the wax in well using either my fingers or a piece of leather if a piece is around when I need it. I have a couple of bows with well over 1000 shots and my triggers are still working as good as new.

·
Registered
2,021 Posts
Tire Automotive tire Spoke Rim Wheel
Tire Automotive tire Spoke Rim Wheel
I’m having some issues with my Patriot 415 string too. No breakage but I have severe wear on the string and rail as the pictures show. I’ve had the bow for one month and this wear started very soon after I got the bow. I keep the rail lubed with the lube provided with the bow. Both of my string silencers have broken as well. I have no idea how many times I’ve shot the bow... maybe 200.
I’ve contacted Centerpoint customer service and am waiting to her back from the on a solution.
Metal Steel

Only thing I do different is I do wax my servings very lightly and only as needed. I rub the wax in well using either my fingers or a piece of leather if a piece is around when I need it. I have a couple of bows with well over 1000 shots and my triggers are still working as good as new.

·
Registered
7,056 Posts
View attachment 165424 View attachment 165424 I’m having some issues with my Patriot 415 string too. No breakage but I have severe wear on the string and rail as the pictures show. I’ve had the bow for one month and this wear sta serving very soon after I got the bow. I keep the rail lubed with the lube provided with the bow. Both of my string silencers have broken as well. I have no idea how many times I’ve shot the bow... maybe 200.
I’ve contacted Centerpoint customer service and am waiting to her back from the on a solution. View attachment 165422
Check to see if your main riser bolt is loose. If it is and the bow is canted it may explain the left side rail wear. Remember there is a locking set screw on .

·
Registered
2,021 Posts
Check to see if your main riser bolt is loose. If it is and the bow is canted it may explain the left side rail wear. Remember there is a locking set screw on .
I checked the riser bolt and it is tight as are all the other bolts on the bow.
I heard back from CenterPoint customer service and they're going to send me a mailing label to send the bow back to them so they can see what's going on with it. I'm certainly pleased with the fast response from CP.

·
Registered
7,056 Posts
I heard back from CenterPoint customer service and they're going to send me a mailing label to send the bow back to them so they can see what's going on with it. I'm certainly pleased with the fast response from CP.
To me it looks like the left side of the string has more angle to it at the rail. I wonder if you have negative cam lean on the left cam or the riser is canted a bit down on that side. I can see string contact made and the black finish wearing on the leading edge of the string dampner mount. That's also not normal.

Reactions: clatu and robertyb

·
Registered
2,021 Posts
To me it looks like the left side of the string has more angle to it at the rail. I wonder if you have negative cam lean on the left cam or the riser is canted a bit down on that side. I can see string contact made and the black finish wearing on the leading edge of the string dampner mount. That's also not normal.
Yeah, something is not right but I don’t have enough experience with crossbows to spot the problem besides the obvious wear to the string and rail.
CP said to send it in for repair or replacement. I’m hoping they just replace the bow and then I can send it out to TX RDXguy for a trigger job. :)

·
Registered
7,056 Posts
Yeah, something is not right but I don’t have enough experience with crossbows to spot the problem besides the obvious wear to the string and rail.
CP said to send it in for repair or replacement. I’m hoping they just replace the bow and then I can send it out to TX RDXguy for a trigger job. :)
I suspect they will. Good luck and I'll be happy to tune up that trigger when you're ready to do that. ;)

Reactions: Gabowman

·
Registered
21 Posts
They have great customer service. Something is definitely not right but I'm sure they will take care of you.

·
Registered
2,021 Posts
They have great customer service. Something is definitely not right but I'm sure they will take care of you.
CenterPoint sent me a brand new bow today. The enclosed paperwork stated the left limb was blown out on the old bow. I don't know what that means.
I'm very pleased with CP customer service. Everything was coved under warranty.:) They even included a new scope, quiver, rope cocker & 3 arrows (not bolts).;)

Reactions: grr0202 and Stalker

·
Registered
190 Posts
As you tighten the bolt that attaches the riser (limbs) to the rail, there is enough play in the attachment that it will pull the left side out of alignment and down as you tighten the bolt. When I assembled my Sniper 370, it took me several tries to get the riser and limbs into alignment with the rail. Just a suggestion.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Go to a reputable archery shop and buy a new applicator of rail lube. My 415 came with rail lube in a chapstick-like tube and was waxy. I was told here or elsewhere online that it should look like black ice when applied, but as a newbie, I did not know what that meant. It will look like slippery, wet silicone, not wax, which will be very obvious once you see the right stuff. I found the visit to the archery shop very enlightening. The bib box stores typically only have salesmen.

·
Registered
7,056 Posts
Scorpion Venom is an excellent product and they have rail and string fluids.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.