Crossbow Nation banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
I need to chrono mine, but I have had two Amped 415s and they both shot a 470 gr arrow at about 340 fps, based upon my scope settings.
Wow! I just ran mine (Patriot 415) through the chronograph Saturday. My 452 grain bolts were straight RIPPING off the bow at 402 fps avg. To say I was impressed is an under statement. 160 ft pounds of energy and it did it pretty quietly too. There was a couple at the shop trying out bows and the wife was shooting the new ten point Titan M1 and it was slower and MUCH louder for about 3 times the price

·
Registered
475 Posts
445 gr and have my crossbow scope set at 385 fps....I never shot with a chrono

·
Registered
6 Posts
445 gr and have my crossbow scope set at 385 fps....I never shot with a chrono
You should. You might have the scope set at a certain speed while in actuality, the bow could be shooting faster or even slower. Once I had the velocity, all I did was set the speed ring, sight in at 20 yards and I was shooting bolt on top of bolt at 50. Before I got it on the chrono, I messed with the speed dial to the point of frustration and I sold the stuff for years. Lol.

·
Registered
10,912 Posts
You should. You might have the scope set at a certain speed while in actuality, the bow could be shooting faster or even slower. Once I had the velocity, all I did was set the speed ring, sight in at 20 yards and I was shooting bolt on top of bolt at 50. Before I got it on the chrono, I messed with the speed dial to the point of frustration and I sold the stuff for years. Lol.
A lot of speed scopes do not agree with the actual speed of the bow. I have seen a 330 fps bow with a speed dial scope set on 365 fps shooting dead on at every distance while the same bow with an identical speed dial scope on it was set for 325 fps and shooting dead on also. Both scopes were Leupolds Crossbone scopes. You have to play with speed dials on most bows to see what they like.

·
Registered
6 Posts
A lot of speed scopes do not agree with the actual speed of the bow. I have seen a 330 fps bow with a speed dial scope set on 365 fps shooting dead on at every distance while the same bow with an identical speed dial scope on it was set for 325 fps and shooting dead on also. Both scopes were Leupolds Crossbone scopes. You have to play with speed dials on most bows to see what they like.
That's no joke right there. I think the higher end models are less subject to that, than the lower end, "China crap" stuff too. My Octane gen 2 Dead Zone scope shot PERFECTLY on my Parker Cyclone at 340fps all the way to 60 yards. That same scope on my Patriot 415 at 402 fps is now only good to 50. Weird.

·
Registered
5,448 Posts
That's no joke right there. I think the higher end models are less subject to that, than the lower end, "China crap" stuff too. My Octane gen 2 Dead Zone scope shot PERFECTLY on my Parker Cyclone at 340fps all the way to 60 yards. That same scope on my Patriot 415 at 402 fps is now only good to 50. Weird.
The 402 speed setting might be the issue there. The 415 series of bows typically shoot the 400 gn factory arrow about 380 fps.

·
Registered
6 Posts
The 402 speed setting might be the issue there. The 415 series of bows typically shoot the 400 gn factory arrow about 380 fps.
No. The BOW is shooting 402 fps with 452 grain bolts. Once I had the velocity, setting up the scope was a piece of cake. I've seen the bolts advertised at bw 400 and 445 grains which is just crazy. Centerpoint says 400, schools says 425 and another place said 445. I haven't bothered weighing them but the bolts I'm using now are definitely stiffer and heavier. Might be why its shooting more efficiently...

·
Registered
5,448 Posts
No. The BOW is shooting 402 fps with 452 grain bolts. Once I had the velocity, setting up the scope was a piece of cake. I've seen the bolts advertised at bw 400 and 445 grains which is just crazy. Centerpoint says 400, schools says 425 and another place said 445. I haven't bothered weighing them but the bolts I'm using now are definitely stiffer and heavier. Might be why its shooting more efficiently...
Good for you. You got one in a million then.

Factory CenterPoint arrows are 400 gn and the heavier the arrow the slower it flies. I've chronoed at least a dozen of the Amped and Patriots and they are 380/385 like clockwork with 400 gn arrows. ManKung doesn't get more speed out of them and they designed and build them.

Just to level set a bit. A 452 gn arrow is plus 52 gn over the factory arrow and it's about 3 fps for every 10 gn which means that your bow shoots 417 fps with a factory 400 gn arrow....... That would be pretty amazing.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I'm fully aware of the specs and manufacturer. I sold and serviced bows and crossbows for almost 10 years before finally getting away and staying away from retail sales. Don't need a lesson in how this stuff works. I was also expecting to be setting the speed ring at around 380ish as well and when I saw the chrono readings I was suprised, and happily to say the least!

·
Registered
5,448 Posts
I'm fully aware of the specs and manufacturer. I sold and serviced bows and crossbows for almost 10 years before finally getting away and staying away from retail sales. Don't need a lesson in how this stuff works. I was also expecting to be setting the speed ring at around 380ish as well and when I saw the chrono readings I was suprised, and happily to say the least!
OK, calm down. I don't know you from Adam and being new with 5 posts and sharing off the chart performance comments on a bow that I'm very familiar with you shouldn't be surprised to get a comment like mine. Arrow weights that are not right, an optic performance statement that indicates a wrong speed setting and saying that stiffer and heavier arrow translates to improved efficiencies that would make your arrow notably faster.... That got my attention.

I'm happy that your 415 is a screamer and it's very possible that a xbow gets built and is very hot. It happens from time to time. Please don't take my comments as an insult it was a statement of what I've experienced and how I read your comments.

Enjoy the 415! With good arrows, a good optic and a trigger fix, they are one heck of an xbow!

·
Registered
23 Posts
Is it possible that string/cable have been replaced with shorter ones, causing the actual draw weight to increase and, in turn, the increase in arrow speed?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Maybe, but I'm seeing A LOT of guys getting around 400 fps + with the factory bolts. It isn't impossible for sure, but I weighed my bolts and saw the chrono results with my own eyes.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts