Crossbow Nation banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The $50 Cabela's xbow target I have works fine with my 330fps field points (although pulling out was a chore). Now I've got a Matrix 380 which buries them almost to the fletching.

What targets with "easy pullout" do folks recommend for field points up to 400fps. I do NOT intend to use any broadheads on that practice target, only field points.

And, how long do your recommended targets last?

·
Registered
827 Posts
My BigShot Extreme has been a great field point target. I highly recommend it.

·
Premium Member
38 Posts
I Have had good luck with the big shot 450. This was with my R26 Have to see how it does with the 29x today it’s right at max rating of the target so may not cut it anymore but will find out.

·
2,262 Posts
I take a 100lb corn/feed sack. Fill it with old clothes with the buttons and zippers taken off. And as long as i keep it dry and move the clothes around from time to time. I have never shot through it or buried my vanes. I have shot 400gr arrows 400fps and 535 gr arrows 360 fps. And saved the money for other stuff. I set in in a old lawn chair.

Just pack it tight as you can and move stuff around in it pretty often.

I just got a new blob the other day to shoot broadheads into. And probably lubed arrows with field tips. But there known to be hard to pull out.

Maybe once a year i'll take everything out and put it in a new feed sack. But i'd say my bag target guts are several years old. But like i said you gotta keep it dry.

Back when i fooled with bows i had to shoot to uncock. I did the same thing with a 50 lb feed sack filled about 1/2 full.

·
Registered
275 Posts
I use a Big Shot Ballistic 450 X,. and it stops my Scopyds at speeds close to 400

·
Registered
2,365 Posts
The $50 Cabela's xbow target I have works fine with my 330fps field points (although pulling out was a chore). Now I've got a Matrix 380 which buries them almost to the fletching.

What targets with "easy pullout" do folks recommend for field points up to 400fps. I do NOT intend to use any broadheads on that practice target, only field points.

And, how long do your recommended targets last?
Delta Mckenzie Wedge. I have been using this one for two years. It is a two finger pull.

20210223_170928E.jpg

·
Registered
6,592 Posts
Spot, side note, nice shootin'.

Reactions: Spot-on-arrow

·
Registered
6,592 Posts
Big Shot Iron Man Extreme 500 is what I use also. Scatter your shots around the various bullseye, use both sides. It also helps to lay your target flat and compress it on both side from time to time.
Great info on laying target flat. Much appreciated.

·
Registered
2,365 Posts
Spot, side note, nice shootin'.
Thanks it was a 100 yard group in February.

One great benefit on Wedge bag. The wide base provides stable platform.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks it was a 100 yard group in February.
That's one HELLUVA group for 100 yards! Well done Spot!

No matter the initial FPS, after 100 yards those arrows have bled off most of their oomph.

I wonder whether what penetration would look like at 20 yards from a Matrix 380 shooting 410gr arrows.

·
Registered
Tenpoint Siege, Ripper 415, Vortex,
358 Posts
Delta Mckenzie Wedge. I have been using this one for two years. It is a two finger pull.

View attachment 196153
Pretty dang good shooting. Just today I shot at 60 yds for the first time. Took two shots to get the speed dial adjusted. Another side note: I know I said the spyderweb target but at longer distance I’m gonna save it. Spyderweb is expensive, but so are arrows.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts