Crossbow Nation banner

21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Sold on the spyderweb targets...especially the no speed limit as I have a Ravin that pushes a 456 grain bolt at 426 fps and it stops it with no more than 5 inches of penetration. I was into the bag targets until one ate about 6 of my inserts.....was not the bond that I used but the material on the inside. I cut it open and found 8 coffee bean sacks from Columbia....still had some coffee beans in them...wrapped in strips of a material the if you put a nail through it you could not get it out.....not that bad but it was hell getting the bolts out of it. That was bounded by cardboard then wrapped in plastic. The the shell was put on. That target probably cost about 15 dollars to make and sold for 150....Morrell 450 fps target. I will not be purchasing one of those again. Since then, I have used arrow lube religiously and the spyderweb is the close target and soon to be the 100 yard target as well as I keep poking my 426 grain bolt almost all of the way through a BullDog Double Dog Target....did not expect that but there is so much energy out of this 29X it is amazing. So, one more spyderweb is in order for the long range....100 yards.
Fred

·
Registered
Tenpoint Siege, Ripper 415, Vortex,
373 Posts
I have A Yellow Jacket (yj-425) Cross Bow Target, Made a frame out of P.T.4x4's & a couple of chains & s-hooks complete the dealio :)

View attachment 196183
Do you leave your target out all the time? I did with a hurricane target I had and the sun ruined it. Now I’m making a stand in cabinet style with closing doors to protect it from the sun and weather.

·
Registered
Tenpoint Siege, Ripper 415, Vortex,
373 Posts
Sold on the spyderweb targets...especially the no speed limit as I have a Ravin that pushes a 456 grain bolt at 426 fps and it stops it with no more than 5 inches of penetration. I was into the bag targets until one ate about 6 of my inserts.....was not the bond that I used but the material on the inside. I cut it open and found 8 coffee bean sacks from Columbia....still had some coffee beans in them...wrapped in strips of a material the if you put a nail through it you could not get it out.....not that bad but it was hell getting the bolts out of it. That was bounded by cardboard then wrapped in plastic. The the shell was put on. That target probably cost about 15 dollars to make and sold for 150....Morrell 450 fps target. I will not be purchasing one of those again. Since then, I have used arrow lube religiously and the spyderweb is the close target and soon to be the 100 yard target as well as I keep poking my 426 grain bolt almost all of the way through a BullDog Double Dog Target....did not expect that but there is so much energy out of this 29X it is amazing. So, one more spyderweb is in order for the long range....100 yards.
Fred
That’s exactly why I bought the spyderweb no speed limit target also for my new Siege. It has the hot limbs and shoots around 425 FPS. Amazing target. $100 for 6 centerpunch arrows can get expensive real fast. I’m buying another one so spyderweb will be solely all I use.

·
Premium Member
3,769 Posts
Fred
SpyderWeb are great target but far from perfect so be careful.
Always have a good backstop or clearing behind your target.
Have had one arrow go clear through an ST18XL No Speed Limit.
Another arrow buried to the vane but we managed to get it out after a lot of struggling.
Two arrows are still stuck in the target.
All were 445gr arrows including 100gr field points at 440fps.
SpyderWeb did send us a new target, no charge, so that is good.

·
Registered
161 Posts
SpyderWeb are great target but far from perfect so be careful.
Always have a good backstop or clearing behind your target.
Have had one arrow go clear through an ST18XL No Speed Limit.
Another arrow buried to the vane but we managed to get it out after a lot of struggling.
Two arrows are still stuck in the target.
All were 445gr arrows including 100gr field points at 440fps.
SpyderWeb did send us a new target, no charge, so that is good.
Wow......at least they stand behind their product. As I get farther into this crossbow game, I am amazed at how much energy is thrown down range. And I thought my 459 gr arrow at 277 FPS was boss.....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
309 Posts
Wow......at least they stand behind their product. As I get farther into this crossbow game, I am amazed at how much energy is thrown down range. And I thought my 459 gr arrow at 277 FPS was boss.....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Indeed......but a lot of energy is often absorbed into the ground after a pass through on a shot at a deer! I hunt mostly in Southern Illinois farm country and the rocky hills of the Missouri Ozarks. Every shot I take at an Ozark deer is a gamble.......will I hit a rock and destroy an arrow and broadhead? As of this past season, my record was about 50/50. I generally destroy one arrow out of every two shot opportunities. Sadly, I find there is no line on the federal income tax form to claim a deduction for demolished arrows.

·
Premium Member
3,769 Posts
.. I generally destroy one arrow out of every two shot opportunities. Sadly, I find there is no line on the federal income tax form to claim a deduction for demolished arrows.
Now that is funny, but in fact, kind of sad, too.
Write them off as "Business Expenses" on your "Business Trips".
Heaven knows our govt employees write everything they can off, too.

·
Premium Member
48 Posts
Tryed the big shot 450 with the R29x and had half dozen out of 30 shots with just the nock hanging out. Going to need to upgrade.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I don't own one, but when I was testing out crossbows some time ago & I noticed the 365 Archery HP Target Systems being used there. The archery shop owner was quite impressed by these targets. They do offer a central core that allows the 6 sides to be flipped. Plus, replacing the core is cheaper than an entire target. They come in various sizes.

365 Archery HP Target Systems

·
Registered
144 Posts
Yellow Jacket yj450 Plus stops my Ravin great, with easy pull out. Caught it on sale at Academy, no clue how long it’ll last, but I like it.

·
Registered
13,498 Posts
Lay it down flat and stomp on it hard every 40 to 50 shots or so also reversing the target every time you shoot and it will last a long time.

21 - 32 of 32 Posts