Crossbow Nation banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone,
New to this site and new to crossbows. I can use any and all help or info that anyone is kind enough to provide.
A little background, I used to shoot recurve and compound but targets only, no hunting. Got busted up on a job site so no more rifle/shotgun.
I'm looking forward to learning this skill and recently purchased a Ripper 415.
Looking forward to conversation and advise.
Thanks.
Stillworkin.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That's great,
I didn't think hunting was allowed at all around here. I used to see a few from 895 in the morning when I was going to work but I thought they were on state park property.
I'm not confident enough to even think about hunting yet . This is all new to me. Restricted to back yard for now and I'm fine with that until I learn the craft.
Thanks for the reply slyx33.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Welcome to the site. I am fairly new on here as well but was active on another crossbow
site for the last 11 years. I hunt federal land not far from you including Ft. Meade and USDA property. There is also public gamelands near you as well.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Nope, although you do have to take a shooting qualification test for the USDA locations (Meade also use to have that but got rid of that requirement last season). Test consists of 2 out of 3 shots from 50 yards with muzzleloader and/or shotgun, into a target that I think is 8" in diameter. Same target for bow/crossbow at 20-30 yds, 3 out of 5 shots, with broadheads. So not difficult at all.
There are lottery hunts throughout Maryland but I haven't gone that route as there are enough local opportunities to hunt, thankfully.

·
Registered
113 Posts
One other strange restriction with USDA is that no hunting from the ground is allowed. Climbing treestand only.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for the welcome Hunter2.
I guess USDA is worried about bolts traveling too far if the target is missed slyx33. At my age ground hunting is definitely preferred! Lol.
Thanks gingerjake, I appreciate it, I'll check it out.

·
Registered
13,358 Posts
Welcome to the boards. :)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts