Crossbow Nation banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone:

I've just joined this forum and am new to archery and crossbows. I live in Central IL and got my son and I crossbows for Christmas, mostly for deer hunting. He's 11 and desperately wants to be a deer hunter. I'm new to hunting but not to firearms. We went out for the '17 gun season, but came back empty handed. Saw some does, but they were out of range. Still learned a lot though. Going to switch spots and cut in a ground blind for the '18 archery season.

Decided to jump in to horizontal bows to expand our season since it's all legal now in IL. I've got a Killer Instinct 370 FT and he's got a KI350. We've only shot them at an indoor range so far, but I'm hoping to pickup some more bolts, field points for target shooting, and then obviously some broadheads once we're good and ready.

I'd love to hear any recommendations anyone has on the bolts/field points/broadheads. After we assembled them, we shot the OEM bolts in the store for an several rounds each and I was very impressed with them. We were at an indoor range on a stand, but they were holding like a 1.5" group at 20 yards, which was as far back as we can get due to space limitations. Very much looking forward to warmer temps and getting out and using these things to get practiced up.

Thanks!

·
Registered
3,528 Posts
Welcome aboard random guy. I would go with the best arrows you can afford. I purchased my Spynal Tapps from Jerry at Southshore Archery and Tapp-Nation.com. He is on this forum and goes by arrowguru. He will not lead you astray and definitely knows arrows and what will work best for you. So get you the best arrows you can afford and practice, practice, practice. I too hunted central Illinois for several years as I lived in Champaign County. Your in a good place providing you have land to hunt. I did most of mine on public land and always had good success. Welcome aboard!

Reactions: Stalker

·
Registered
114 Posts
Welcome to CBN! +2 on Jerry at Southshore Archery and Tapp-Nation.com. Browse the Tapp Nation site and then give him a call. He spent time with me and I ordered a set of Black Eagle Executioners for my Sniper 370. These were custom, and the price was outstanding. You and I are kindred spirits, getting our son's into hunting. I have a 12 year old, and hunt deer, turkey and small game. Welcome!

·
Registered
9,477 Posts
Good advice above! Welcome to CBN

·
Registered
301 Posts
Welcome aboard. I’m south of you and hunting Sparta area New to x-bows also but not new to deer hunting. Enjoy the new bow. Remember, if it’s brown it’s down

·
Registered
13,738 Posts
Anywhere from factory fletched BEE's off Ebay up to giving Jerry a call at Tapp-Nation. He's great and wont sell you anything you don't want or need. Either pick some 100 gr or 125 gr field tips. I like the blunter rounded tips myself but that's just my preference I think. Regardless...those weights will match up to whatever broadheads you choose later on. I can guarantee you one thing though....with better arrows you wont be taking multiple shots at the same bullseye....especially at only 20 yards.

Welcome to the boards. :)

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
Welcome aboard

·
Registered
494 Posts
Hey everyone:

I've just joined this forum and am new to archery and crossbows. I live in Central IL and got my son and I crossbows for Christmas, mostly for deer hunting. He's 11 and desperately wants to be a deer hunter. I'm new to hunting but not to firearms. We went out for the '17 gun season, but came back empty handed. Saw some does, but they were out of range. Still learned a lot though. Going to switch spots and cut in a ground blind for the '18 archery season.

Decided to jump in to horizontal bows to expand our season since it's all legal now in IL. I've got a Killer Instinct 370 FT and he's got a KI350. We've only shot them at an indoor range so far, but I'm hoping to pickup some more bolts, field points for target shooting, and then obviously some broadheads once we're good and ready.

I'd love to hear any recommendations anyone has on the bolts/field points/broadheads. After we assembled them, we shot the OEM bolts in the store for an several rounds each and I was very impressed with them. We were at an indoor range on a stand, but they were holding like a 1.5" group at 20 yards, which was as far back as we can get due to space limitations. Very much looking forward to warmer temps and getting out and using these things to get practiced up.

Thanks!
Welcome aboard random guy. I would go with the best arrows you can afford. I purchased my Spynal Tapps from Jerry at Southshore Archery and Tapp-Nation.com. He is on this forum and goes by arrowguru. He will not lead you astray and definitely knows arrows and what will work best for you. So get you the best arrows you can afford and practice, practice, practice. I too hunted central Illinois for several years as I lived in Champaign County. Your in a good place providing you have land to hunt. I did most of mine on public land and always had good success. Welcome aboard![/Q

Welcome! Quoted both of you because I grew up in East Central Illinois and used to work in Urbana. Down in Southern Illinois now. Best of luck hunting with your son!

·
Registered
5,798 Posts
Welcome RandomGuy. Enjoy those new KI xbows!

I'm on track with the suggestion to call Jerry. I've been shooting his BEEs and from time to time try other arrows as well. The BEEs built to his recommendation are a very nice arrow and has a great reputation for accuracy and durability.

FullSizeRender4.jpg

I also use a 100 gn Grim Reaper mechanical broadhead. It's an Xbow rated broadhead and has done a great job for me on deer, hogs and varmints.

GRCU.jpg

Have fun learning this new piece of archery gear. It's a very interesting tool to hunt with and a great deal of fun to use for target shooting.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hey everyone:

Thanks for all the kind words. Since I've posted, I went to a local archery shop and picked up some more of the OEM arrows (Killertech, Carbon, 20", 9GPI) that shot really well and some more basic field points. I didn't want to seem like I was dismissing the advice from above, but since I'm new and first generation at this, I've got a lot of gear to buy, so I went with what I knew was working well, at least the last time I shot them.

I also picked up a couple more Moultrie trail cameras on special at Dunham's the other day if anyone has one of those stores around them. I'm working on a new place to hunt at a friend's place, so hopefully I'll get those hung in a few weeks once I get coordinated with him.

It's supposed to be mid 50's, sunny, and still tomorrow, so I'm hoping to get out with the boy, do some pitching (him, not me), then do some shooting!

·
3,321 Posts
Welcome to the Nation

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
welcome

1 - 15 of 15 Posts