Crossbow Nation banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New to bow hunting last year (after telling the boys for years I'd need to be IN the barn to hit it with an arrow) I bought an Axe 340 after shooting one of their Barnett on the bench.
I'm hooked! I shot at least 100 arrows last fall before the hunt and did manage to get one during the early fall hunt.
Now the questions start-
1) I practice at 30/40/50 yards - I'm amazed at how accurate this bow can be. My broad heads shoot a few inches lower than the field points but its easy to adjust the scope for that.
When I started shooting this summer (no changes to the scope since last fall) I noticed the field points hitting center target and the broad heads several inches low now. It acts like the scope was dialed back for bench shooting the field points but I never changed anything. What could have changed??
I'm shooting .001 dragon claws -405 grn with a 100 grn slick trick fixed head. I wanted a simple fixed head to start this game with.
2) My fletching takes a beating shooting the block with the broad heads- I use a bag for field points and it isn't an issue there. Is there a block that will stop the arrow before the fletching goes in it? I'm thinking I'll need to get a jig eventually and re-fletch.
3) How many people have their own chronograph? I can see how it would be nice to know speeds. Are my broad heads dropping because of speed or just different flight characteristics?

Thanks ahead for sharing your knowledge and experience!! What a great forum!

Bill

·
Registered
572 Posts
One possibility could be string stretch, which would cause a slower fps, thus causing arrows shooting slightly lower. If you know the original axle to axle measurement, you can compare current measurement to verify. Good luck.

Welcome to the Nation from a fellow Wisconsonite. East central location.

·
Registered
13,242 Posts
Welcome to the boards. :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts