Crossbow Nation banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Incurable Tinkerer
5,031 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All of the remaining venison contributed for food pantry distribution in three states is being dumped due to possible lead contamination. Studies show that well over 60 % of the study sample had lead fragments (most so small that they can only be seen on X ray). Over half million lbs were contributed by hunters in Minn. N.D. and Wisc. last season. No mention made of how much had already been consumed.

·
Hunter
6,187 Posts
Leaded Deer?

I heard about this,Sounds a little far fetched to me. After hundreds of years of hunters and familys eating deer killed with firearms they found very minute traces of lead using x ray.I would bet there are trace elements of many other metallic chemicals as well .You could find traces of metal,aluminum,carbon fibre, if you looked hard enough where an arrow passed through a Deer.
Sounds like something PETA would come up with to discredit hunting.
By the way,most foods you purchase,and the water you drink also has trace elements of many chemicals, minerals and metals.

·
Incurable Tinkerer
5,031 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The picture in the newspaper clearly shows lead in the x ray or a stack of individually packed meat. The story goes on to say that most of the contamination was in the form of very minute pieces, not from grinding but from the disintegration of bullets. Having handloaded for a number of years and conducted various tests on disintegration of bullets it's pretty believable. That's partially why I load and hunt with all copper bullets.
BTW I'm not in any way associated with the company that manufactures them.

·
Incurable Tinkerer
5,031 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
No problem UL. Just passing on what was in a major MN newspaper this week. Too many lawyers and politicians I guess. Line between truth and intended impression has blurred to the point where most folks EXPECT the author of a potentially controversial statement to represent a vested interest.

·
11,412 Posts
Not to hijack this thread

but you are right about some folks being always ready to rant over any comment that even remotely resembles a "plug" for a certain product. It surely tends to make posts bland and, quite honestly, boring. When it happens I hope you guys continue to be understanding and give us fanatics a little "wiggle room":D

·
Incurable Tinkerer
5,031 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
You wouldn't believe some of the responses I got on reloading and firearms hunting forums I frequent. They ranged all the way from BS! to personal attacks. Not that it matters to me, since I don't hunt with lead bullets, but these folk DID NOT want their perceptions challenged, or even entertain the notion that there might be a hint of truth in the article. They not only disparaged me but the doctor that raised the issue. To them it was the work of the 'anti's' or even the copper bullet manufacturer. Would you believe one of them even suggested BOYCOTTING that manufacturer?! My only objective was, and is, to report what was in the news. Guess some folks don't want to hear anything that's contrary to what they believe. So much for keeping an open mind.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Well!!!!

I posted the same article on my home forum wvsportsman.net and most everyone agreed with me the bureaucrats are running wild I have eaten more lead than they could ever imagine I guess. And it hasn't hurt me yet ..hurt me yet...me yet....me yet...

LOL! But in all seriousness my whole family has eaten rabbits and squirrels and deer and such, picked shot out and went on eating. I can see no damage to anyone in my family for a lifetime of eating the stuff.

When I was a youngster I can remember holding lead pellets in my mouth till needed when out chasing birds and rats and such with my trusty pellet rifle. As far as I know I have had no ill effects from it! I kind of tend to believe that the powers that be will gag on a knat and swallow a camel if there's some $$$ in it for them!!

OBTWE I'm not affiliated with any lead ammo companies! LOL! :)

~HF~

·
Hunter
6,187 Posts
Leaded Deer.

Not saying it is healthy but,When I use to Quail and dove hunt in Florida, many times at supper everyone would have several bird shot size #8 setting in a pile beside there plates.
I do not doubt they found a few pieces of lead in a Deer,So what if they did?.Throw away over five hundred thousand pounds of meat?.

So now this great program to feed the hungry is probably in jeopardy in every state.

such a waste of good free meat.

And as hunters I bet we have not heard the last of this from the anti hunters.

·
329 Posts
to ALL:

be NOT deceived. this "whole big deal" is yet ANOTHER "pack of lies" from the LEFTISTS/PETA nuts/media.

fwiw, a "double-blind" study by the federal parks & wildlife folks PROVED that lead shot/bullet fragments in "harvested game animals, fish & birds as a health risk to humans" was an INTENTIONAL farce perpetrated on an unsuspecting public, which "was known by the authors of the study, before the fact, to be false".
NOTE: give me a little time & i'll post the exact source document. - i work part-time (since my retirement), for a small NGO & frequently travel to Washington, DC for them.

sorry for being such a cynic in my 7th decade of life, but i constantly find "public servants" INTENTIONALLY LYING in government documents & now DISTRUST, absent independent proof, everything that the "experts" say/write/publish. (in one recent case, a "well-researched & peer-reviewed study on the health effects of secondhand smoke upon humans " was sourced to a USDOD study on the purchasing of communication maintainence supplies used by the US Air Force on a fighter aircraft. obviously, the "author" of the study did not think anyone would "check his sources".)

yours sincerely, texasnative46

1 - 11 of 11 Posts