Crossbow Nation banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anybody else have a problem with ants getting in your cameras? I don't get it... water doesnt get in, but there's a ton of little bitty ants in one of my cameras. What do you guys do when/if this happens? Bug spray?

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Permethrin spray if you have any.
I was hoping that would work. I was looking for verification, actually. I just bought a big can today, getting ready for bear season in couple months. I was thinking about trying it on camera too. Thanks!!!

·
Registered
14,037 Posts
Be care spraying the camera interior and do not hit lens, etc. with spray. Cover the outside edges well and let it dry. Ants are probably getting in the bottom where you can plug in an external power source.

·
TenPoint Siege, TenPoint Eclipse
552 Posts
I would spray the ant repellant on some cloth and dab it on rather than spray it directly on the trail camera. i know that worn insect repellant can cause havoc on some plastics.

·
Registered
175 Posts
i've lost a couple cameras to ants. the racoons pull out the bottom rubber plugs, ants get in and lay 10,000 eggs. quite the shocker when opened.

·
Registered
14,350 Posts
I lost one camera to ants. Now when I see 'em messing with a camera I'm QUICK to moving that camera. I also had a problem with ants getting into a light switch in one of my barns. I put grandulated bifen in/on top of switch and around the base of the post the ants were climbing. Problem solved there.

·
3,019 Posts
I use to have problems with ants getting into my cams, about 3 years ago I started spraying the trunk of the tree (about 6" down from the cam and all the way around the trunk) with Ortho Home Defense spray, it doesn't seem to leave a smell once it dries and I have seen no effect on any deer that come around..... No ant problem since I started doing this..

Mike

1 - 12 of 12 Posts