Crossbow Nation banner

21 - 40 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
Hate to disagree but when you spend that much money you expect quality. Serving string seperation and split limb after less than 100 shots. I understand things happen and Ravin has been great about it. I retired as GM for BMW dealership. Customers paid more for BMWs than a lot of other makers and expected quality and dependability for paying that extra money. I shot Mission Sub-1 for two years with no problems but still like Ravin R29X better. Just not liking these problems so early on when I paid a premium for a quality bow.
A
Can't disagree with a word you've said.
I can also tell you from lots of experience: A good set of premium strings turns a Ravin into a deadly accurate killing machine. Spine matched and indexed arrows are another great addition but nothing beats a great set of strings that won't stretch for repeatable accuracy.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Mine was very accurate with factory strings but would be interested in any improvements. What strings do you recommend? Will it effect Ravin warranty? Tyler, at Ravin said the string he is sending me is the improved factory string. It's things like this that worry me; limb split and string problem four weeks before Velvet Season in TN. Don't want to worry about quality problems jeopardizing my hunt but I guess that could happen with any bow. Although, two major problems in first two weeks worries me a little bit.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Also, any suggestions on broadheads for 450 fps bow? Lost deer in SD last year due to Rage Hypodermic blades breaking off on pass through. Did find him in early spring. Rack and bones.

·
Registered
4 Posts
My dealer told me that Ravin is sending limbs and string set for my r20. Limb has a splinter with only about 30 shots on it.
Anyway the dealer said that all I would need to pay is the labor. I bought it from them last fall and paid full msrp for it.
Does this sound right?
I have a inline press and could do it myself, I just think it should all be covered.
Thanks

·
Registered
340 Posts
My dealer told me that Ravin is sending limbs and string set for my r20. Limb has a splinter with only about 30 shots on it.
Anyway the dealer said that all I would need to pay is the labor. I bought it from them last fall and paid full msrp for it.
Does this sound right?
I have a inline press and could do it myself, I just think it should all be covered.
Thanks
If you bought it from that dealer it should be covered.

·
Premium Member
742 Posts
Does this sound right?
Thanks
If anything, Ravin should pay the Dealer to fix it.
Here is Ravin's warranty:

New Ravin Crossbows are covered under a five-year limited warranty against defects in materials and workmanship to the stock, trigger and cocking mechanism, and limb assembly when used normally in accordance with Ravin’s published instructions and guidelines. Our liability extends to parts, labor, and return transportation to the customer and is non-transferable. This limited warranty does not cover strings, cables, scopes, arrows, transportation of product to our service center, damage caused by abuse, dry firing, using arrows other than the Ravin-branded arrows recommended for your crossbow, failure to follow safety advice and usage instructions in the manual, modification or failure to perform normal maintenance, or any other expenses or damage to property or person. This warranty gives you specific legal rights and you may also have other rights that vary from state to state.

·
Registered
393 Posts
Knowing a fire arm dealer that has sold close to 90 Ravins bows now and no other crossbows ,Told me that he has a no bows come back to him with any sort of limb issue. But complaints on cable serving issues and center searing separations at which point he refers them to call the manufacture. I would say with much certainty that limb failures on there bows are user error. VERY MUCH LIKE FOLKS HURTING THEMSELVES WITHE HANDLE UNCOCKING THE BOW. Ravin has a gal in high heels chewing gum decocking crossbows at the shows. It gives most men the feeling they can do it too with out hurting themselves.
Think I am joking...? You can find this on You tube with a little digging

·
Premium Member
742 Posts
... Ravin has a gal in high heels chewing gum decocking crossbows at the shows. It gives most men the feeling they can do it too with out hurting themselves.
Here is one video...

·
Registered
464 Posts
Knowing a fire arm dealer that has sold close to 90 Ravins bows now and no other crossbows ,Told me that he has a no bows come back to him with any sort of limb issue. But complaints on cable serving issues and center searing separations at which point he refers them to call the manufacture. I would say with much certainty that limb failures on there bows are user error. VERY MUCH LIKE FOLKS HURTING THEMSELVES WITHE HANDLE UNCOCKING THE BOW. Ravin has a gal in high heels chewing gum decocking crossbows at the shows. It gives most men the feeling they can do it too with out hurting themselves.
I agree with you about Ravin limbs breaking and that being operator error. However as a 68 year old combat veteran, I find your comments about " a gal in high heels chewing gum and decocking a crossbow" to be sexist and demeaning. She is not chewing gum, isn't wearing heels, and certainly looks like a capable young lady. I wear bigger heels than that on my work boots. And she is wearing swede zip up boots not high heels. Maybe I misunderstand your intent, but if the implication is that if a "gal" can do it then anyone can, then that doesn't fly. I saw a squad of five North Vietnamese women soldiers put a world of hurt on a company of line infantry one time before the company took them out in a pitch battle. They threw down until the last woman died. ...don't under estimate women. Men who do that do so at their own peril. If that was not your intent then I apologize.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Not sure what you mean by "operator error" being problem with Ravin crossbows. Not trying to argue but I've shot a crossbow for at least seven years ( Misson last three years and Browning-Horton) with no problems. I know how to shoot and care for a crossbow.Definitely not operator error here. Ravin is replacing strings and limbs without any hassle. And after talking to dealer, I know of others that had limbs split. I know there can be lemons (so to speak) with any product and Ravin has been great so far about correcting the problem. I am still a happy customer but this was definitely not operator error rather defect in product.

·
Registered
464 Posts
Not sure what you mean by "operator error" being problem with Ravin crossbows. Not trying to argue but I've shot a crossbow for at least seven years ( Misson last three years and Browning-Horton) with no problems. I know how to shoot and care for a crossbow.Definitely not operator error here. Ravin is replacing strings and limbs without any hassle. And after talking to dealer, I know of others that had limbs split. I know there can be lemons (so to speak) with any product and Ravin has been great so far about correcting the problem. I am still a happy customer but this was definitely not operator error rather defect in product.
Sounds like you know exactly what your doing. There are several cases where guys have had limbs impact blinds when firing, or whatever. Some I am sure who have done similar things and not admitted it. In my case, I have (to my chagrin) tried to fire my Ravin several times without an arrow in it, which without anti-dry fire, I would have had major limb damage. It is easy to forget little things in the heat of the moment, and like you, I have been shooting weapons of one sort or another since I was five years old. I am 68 years old and still make mistakes. However, these xbows are some of the finest engineering I have seen and suspect that often there is operator error, although not always. :)

·
Registered
25 Posts
Just got word from dealer that limbs Ravin sent to replace my splintered limbs were bad. Spoke to Roy at Ravin. Having to send bow back to Ravin for replacement bow. Have Velvet Hunt in 2 1/2 weeks and may miss due to this. Not happy. Although happy with Ravin's commitment to customer just very bad timing. See what I mean, Iowaguy, I said it might cost me more than purchase price.

·
Registered
393 Posts
operator error can be: too much string twisting, missload of arrow, partial drifire, bow string warn too much.
Added new top end strings with wrong stand count. To light of arrow. Wrong knock type but your uncle told you these were the best.
On a side note, anyone booking a hunt and relying on one crossbow of any brand is definitely a newb. Here is living proof of this.
If the center searving was to let go on any bow you would be hoping that the place you hunt can press the bow correctly and has the new string if you dont.
I get that limbs splinter etc. "All brand have limb failures,"But lots of folks like to lump thier brand in under this phrase when that brand blows limb sets quite frequently.
One other thing BMW has some of the worst qualiyt of any car ever built. Just ask Scottie on you tube.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Don't have to ask someone on You tube. Sorry I can only afford one $3000 bow. I was with BMW 23 years. Not looking for an argument with you but will refer to something Nepoleon Bonaparte said "The only victories which leave no regret are those that are gained over ignorance.

·
Registered
464 Posts
operator error can be: too much string twisting, missload of arrow, partial drifire, bow string warn too much.
Added new top end strings with wrong stand count. To light of arrow. Wrong knock type but your uncle told you these were the best.
On a side note, anyone booking a hunt and relying on one crossbow of any brand is definitely a newb. Here is living proof of this.
If the center searving was to let go on any bow you would be hoping that the place you hunt can press the bow correctly and has the new string if you dont.
I get that limbs splinter etc. "All brand have limb failures,"But lots of folks like to lump thier brand in under this phrase when that brand blows limb sets quite frequently.
One other thing BMW has some of the worst qualiyt of any car ever built. Just ask Scottie on you tube.
neglectedbow, I couldn't agree more. If your going to shoot one of these world class crossbows, you must learn to maintain them. And they do produce occasional lemons like any other brand such as BMW. Paying a lot for a product does not entitle one to immunity from these issues, that is what warranties are for.

·
Registered
2,328 Posts
Lowaguy, I think you rely far to much on your knowledge from Utube, and have very little experience with all crossbows to giving out such advice. How many different bows have you owned to gain this experience, how many BMW's How many have you worked on,,,, sounds like all your hands on are done on a keyboard, and cyber world experience, with little hands on in real life!

Like was said, every company has had issues, what has set the top apart is how they take care of a customer! I have no experience with Ravin, but can assure you Tenpoint and Excalibur would not allow a dealer to charge for repair of any warranty issue, in fact I have seen Tenpoint cover items that were not under warranty anymore! Both are as good as it gets. I hope and think here Ravin has taken action to do the same, and anyone that knows anything about all crossbow companies understands that is why we pay a little more for what we buy, we have less issues, and when we do, are backs are covered!!!

But I for one no matter what I hunt with or what I own, I will always have an Excalibur recurve as a backup,, even if it was an older wide limb'd Phoenix or Vortex, I would never travel anywhere without one for backup, and both those bows are are as accurate as any bow made and will not break anyone's bank, even a 355 Matrix is as bullet proof as they come and will assure you never miss a day of hunting if your main bow goes down, and very very inexpensive!

21 - 40 of 51 Posts