Crossbow Nation banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Banned
5,180 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Going to order one or the other - I’m confident in my own fletching so I might just order shafts to give me something to do.

Just wondering if anyone has shot both and which they preferred?

Tapps are listed at 9.1 GPI, the Zombie weight isn’t listed. Anyone know if they are the same weight? Thanks.

·
Registered
9,365 Posts
The Tapps are made from Zombie shafts unless something has changed. They are the same weight etc.

Reactions: wildcatter

·
Registered
244 Posts
The carbon tube is the exact same thing

The difference is since spynal tapp is a private label of South shore archery they are tested to tighter tolerances

When south shore sells a zombie shaft its indexed

When south shore sells a spynal tapp its indexed, tested for straightness, weight and spine matched

You do get the benefit of getting a free double tapp insert with them

·
Registered
828 Posts
JerryR, What will be the difference in quality if ordering Zombies that are .001, indexed and matched and has double Tapps inserts installed?

·
Registered
10,850 Posts
If you are going to be shooting out to 40 yards I would just go with the factory fletched ZSs. If you are going to shoot targets at long distances go with the Spynal Tapps. I own both along with some BEEs also and out to 40 yards they all shoot basically the same.

·
Registered
244 Posts
JerryR, What will be the difference in quality if ordering Zombies that are .001, indexed and matched and has double Tapps inserts installed?
The double tapp insert is 4.05 in long resulting in 400% more glue surface, plus since it is so long the insert/shaft alignment is excellent.

Even the best archer that has a lifetime of long range rifle shooter cant out shoot a well made indexed, tested, weight and spine matched arrow. There is no magic bullet, you do not need to pour hundreds of dollars into arrows with fancy components. Good quality components put together correctly is the magic!

·
Registered
244 Posts
If you are going to be shooting out to 40 yards I would just go with the factory fletched ZSs. If you are going to shoot targets at long distances go with the Spynal Tapps. I own both along with some BEEs also and out to 40 yards they all shoot basically the same.
Robert is correct, worst case you may have to rotate nocks or refletch a flyer or two

The odds of a black eagle zombie being bad enough to throw away is not very high.

·
Registered
82 Posts
which ones come with free double tapp inserts?
The carbon tube is the exact same thing

The difference is since spynal tapp is a private label of South shore archery they are tested to tighter tolerances

When south shore sells a zombie shaft its indexed

When south shore sells a spynal tapp its indexed, tested for straightness, weight and spine matched

You do get the benefit of getting a free double tapp insert with them

·
Registered
2,541 Posts
Like Jerry said, I have had him work his magic to the same degree on both, and remove the labels and you will find no difference all other specs being made the same. I love em both.

·
Banned
5,180 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I got to looking in my tube stand of extra bolts and found 11 Spynal Tapps and 7 Executioners. :p

So I stripped the Tapps and ordered some SK300 vanes and SS points from Jerry. We’ll see how it goes.

I got to looking at the vane clearance and It looks like I can get by with just 1” of setback.

·
Registered
244 Posts
I got to looking in my tube stand of extra bolts and found 11 Spynal Tapps and 7 Executioners. :p

So I stripped the Tapps and ordered some SK300 vanes and SS points from Jerry. We’ll see how it goes.
Do you have primer? You need it on the SK300s if you are using super glue!

·
Banned
5,180 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I use Bob Smith’s watery Instaglue and Dorge’s swipe and wipe with acetone and never had a problem making them stick.

·
Registered
2,541 Posts
Yep on SK vanes need that primer, all do, but they are by far the most critical, and I mean they aint coming off without a knife, you can't tear em off when I use Jerry's priming pen or acetone and his Insta-Glu, they become part of the shaft!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts