Crossbow Nation banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Will mostly be hunting out of my ground blind this bow season, primarily moving it around to different spots and since we have a lot of snakes on the farm it would be great to have a repellent that doesn’t affect the deer too.

My father in law was hunting at the same farm last year and had a snake slither over his boot lol

·
Registered
377 Posts
Pretty sure someone makes a snake repellent powder that you essentially use to make an outline around the perimeter of whatever you wish to keep them out of. Question is: Does it have a scent that will spook deer? We talking harmless snakes or venomous snakes? Likely the only reason a snake would wander in to your blind would be because it was following mice and such. So keep the vermin out and that will probably mean leans snakes.

·
Registered
10,434 Posts
Snake repellent is nothing more than Snake oil. Save your money and use a flashlight before getting in your blind in the dark if you worry about snakes.
I know a lot of people that will not archery hunt until it turns cold. :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Snake repellent is nothing more than Snake oil. Save your money and use a flashlight before getting in your blind in the dark if you worry about snakes.
I know a lot of people that will not archery hunt until it turns cold. :rolleyes: :rolleyes:
Lol I certainly don't like them but I think what I'll do is just set my blind up before every hunt as the areas I'm setting it up in I've already cleared out a good little spot on the edge of the woods so it will be hard for the deer to notice. I've also got snake boots and full length snake chaps I wear so that's probably better than any snake repellent. Worst case scenario a copperhead crawls in my blind while I'm hunting and I win a Guinness world record for fastest sprint out of a ground blind.

·
Registered
10,434 Posts
I hunt in an area that is full of copperheads and rattlesnakes but have never seen one in my blind. Snakes do not like humans and they can feel you walking by ground vibrations and will vacate the area given a chance. I do check out my chair before climbing in the blind though. :)

·
Registered
377 Posts
I dunno about that. Pest control professionals defintely have some sort of powder they use. I'd imagine it works if someone is paying them to keep snakes out of buildings and the like. I also saw on Nekked and Afraid they used a line of ash from the fire to encircle their camp, to keep snakes out. LOL! I just figured deer would smell the burned ash.

·
Registered
534 Posts
You‘re much more likely to get bitten by a snake while working in your flower bed than you are while deer hunting.

Reactions: robertyb

·
Registered
76 Posts
Rattlesnakes and copperheads up my camp, though i rarely see them. Did invest in snake boots last year for some peace of mind.

·
Registered
13,229 Posts
Buy a blind that zips up and keep 'er zipped.;)

Reactions: dynamo61

·
Registered
823 Posts
Natural Oils
The APHIS has found cinnamon oil and clove oil, also known as eugenol, effective in repelling some snakes. Apply essential oils as a spray, diluting about 4 to 8 drops per gallon of water, or carefully place cotton balls or fabric strips saturated with the oils around snake-prone areas.

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
Pepper spray, shotgun, flame thrower, and granade launcher (if they try escaping)....!!!! Just the first things outta my mind....without really over anylizing or anything.....
Probably good I don't have this prob!!!!

·
Registered
1,907 Posts
I have used some of the marketed snake repellent products when I was at Dismal World. Most were just that... dismal in their performance. One was Dr. T’s Snake Away (or something like that). It was just naphthalene and didn’t perform well. I concur with Robert’s earlier assessment.

·
Registered
377 Posts
You could just hunt with my Dad...He catches Timber Rattler's for fun. LMAO! He just won 1st place for "Longest color phase" Rattler at his gun clubs annual snake hunting contest. It was a yellow phase Timber Rattler that measured 47" and weighed 2.2 pounds.:unsure:

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
You could just hunt with my Dad...He catches Timber Rattler's for fun. LMAO! He just won 1st place for "Longest color phase" Rattler at his gun clubs annual snake hunting contest. It was a yellow phase Timber Rattler that measured 47" and weighed 2.2 pounds.:unsure:
Omg hahaha I applaud people who have no fear of snakes. I grew up hunting in highschool and college with a guy who wasn't scared of anything in the woods, 1 time he thought it would be funny to throw a water snake in our johnboat to see what I'd do lol

·
Registered
823 Posts
Does he do that in the dark of night or on a bright sunny day? If I can see them I'm OK....it's those that I can't that scare the bejesus out of me.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Have heard diatomaceous earth works but even if it did, one good rain and it's gone. FYI, I have occupied a pop up with a rattler. Never saw him till I noticed him crawling out of the blind after it got light and warmed up. Hate copperheads worse. Dang things are almost invisible.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Does he do that in the dark of night or on a bright sunny day? If I can see them I'm OK....it's those that I can't that scare the bejesus out of me.
He hunts them in the daylight. Usually when they come out in the morning on the south side of the mountain to sun and get their body temp regulated from the prior night. You generally will not find Rattler's far from the south side of a mountain, at least not here in Pennsylvania.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts