Crossbow Nation banner
1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I look forward to the beginning of the season like a kid at Christmas, and this year was like getting up in the morning and not finding any presents. With the high temps and humidity in my area (North Central IL) deer movement has really been limited. I have been sticking to public land hunts because I don't want to burn out my better private land set ups during this heat. I have deer on the cameras I have set up on my private land, but almost all the movement is limited to darkness, with just a few hours at dawn and dusk. I know that is typical, but damn I wish the temps would drop, how about the rest of you- are others in my part of the country seeing/feeling this as well?

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
Bout ready to head out for my first hunt of the year and season has been open for 3 weeks in MO. 60* this morning and a high of 88-90 today but I'm tired of waiting for cool weather.

·
Registered
941 Posts
Have the same thing going on here in Vermont, 90 percent of my pictures are at night. Still I get out there to just enjoy myself !!

·
12,620 Posts
Reminds me ... of when I got into grouse hunting. I was so pumped the second year that I couldn't wait to get into the woods. Took thousands of shots with a home-made battery operated clay bird thrower. Opening day came on October 16th and I was standing at attention with my Beretta O/U at the edge of the woods as the sun came up. Eager as a dog when he sees you in your hunting clothes. Off I marched. Kicked up bird after bird. Couldn't get a SINGLE shot off. The vegetation was still so thick & heavy before leaf-fall that the most I saw of a grouse was a nanosecond between bushes now and then. If at all. Drove the two hours home and didn't go back again until all the leaves were down. :rolleyes: ;)

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
No doubt about it, I'm SICK and TIRED of this weather!!!:mad:
Ramrod and I are headed to the Eastern Shore of MD for Sika deer this coming Wednesday through Friday... supposed to be the rut as Sika rut a little before whitetail... temps forecasted to be in the low 80s... ugh...I have enough insect repellent to outfit a small army!
Be lucky to see anything..
Like everyone else, my camera action has all but died..
On top of it, I have to watch these yuppie weather people smile and giggle about the warm temperatures..
I just wanna sucker punch them in the throat!!!:censored:

·
12,620 Posts
No doubt about, I'm SICK and TIRED of this weather!!!:mad:
I was ... in construction. Getting angry at the weather is a losing proposition ...lol ;)

·
Registered
2,838 Posts
Yup its too warm/hot for me to hunt. Going to be around 90 here for 2-3 days yet. Looks like next week it will make it down to a 48-50 low here in Livingston county Ky.

·
Registered
2,934 Posts
Reminds me ... of when I got into grouse hunting. I was so pumped the second year that I couldn't wait to get into the woods. Took thousands of shots with a home-made battery operated clay bird thrower. Opening day came on October 16th and I was standing at attention with my Beretta O/U at the edge of the woods as the sun came up. Eager as a dog when he sees you in your hunting clothes. Off I marched. Kicked up bird after bird. Couldn't get a SINGLE shot off. The vegetation was still so thick & heavy before leaf-fall that the most I saw of a grouse was a nanosecond between bushes now and then. If at all. Drove the two hours home and didn't go back again until all the leaves were down. :rolleyes: ;)
Yeah, Grouse don't hang out in open areas. You usually just hear the beating of their wings as they disappear. I got a clear shot once in my life. Across a large opening between the woods and a field. I was a gift. I was using my trusty Browning BSS Sporter in 20 ga. The best Upland Game gun I ever owned.

Reactions: Iron Duke

·
2,875 Posts
Yea it is the same in Kentucky. But we might as well get used to it. Because I think this is going to be the normal every year.

·
12,620 Posts
Yeah, Grouse don't hang out in open areas. You usually just hear the beating of their wings as they disappear. I got a clear shot once in my life. Across a large opening between the woods and a field. I was a gift. I was using my trusty Browning BSS Sporter in 20 ga. The best Upland Game gun I ever owned.
I actually killed ... a grouse with my Hoyt Xtec one time ...lol I was driving up the woods road to the hunting camp and a grouse walks across in front of me at a tee in the road. Stops about 15-20 yards down the other road. I watch for a few seconds, decide "what the hay," grab my bow, slowly open the truck door and he's still there. Sent a 1" standard 85gr Slick Trick right through it's chest. Told the guys I shootem in the air when I got the rest of the way up the mountain ...lol :p ;) I still vividly remember a perfect red cross cut through the white breast from the broadhead.

Reactions: archer36

·
Registered
338 Posts
We are all expirencing the same weather conditions. This coming week is going to be warmer than the past. To deni what is happening to our seasons sad. I am not a snowflake but there no doubt what is happening. Talk to farmers, bee keepers, orchard owners, they all say the thing.
To make matters worse friends and other hunters are out there, complaining no deer moving, burning out areas, just because the season is open.

·
Registered
2,934 Posts
I actually killed ... a grouse with my Hoyt Xtec one time ...lol I was driving up the woods road to the hunting camp and a grouse walks across in front of me at a tee in the road. Stops about 15-20 yards down the other road. I watch for a few seconds, decide "what the hay," grab my bow, slowly open the truck door and he's still there. Sent a 1" standard 85gr Slick Trick right through it's chest. Told the guys I shootem in the air when I got the rest of the way up the mountain ...lol :p ;) I still vividly remember a perfect red cross cut through the white breast from the broadhead.
Grouse were rare and a real prize in NJ. Now they are almost non-existent. In 2008 I went to Newfoundland on a Moose hunt. Ruffed Grouse (not other species) were like Chickens up there. We practically ran them over while driving on logging roads on a Quad. You can easily walk the trails and shoot your limit daily with a .410.

Reactions: Iron Duke

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
Talk about weather,…western ND/SD & eastern Montana look like the moon in terms of the drought. I’m not a green freak for sure but weather has been unreal with droughts & flooding. I feel for the ranchers getting no hay and having to sell off livestock along with those losing their homes due to floods.

·
Registered
2,934 Posts
Talk about weather,…western ND/SD & eastern Montana look like the moon in terms of the drought. I’m not a green freak for sure but weather has been unreal with droughts & flooding. I feel for the ranchers getting no hay and having to sell off livestock along with those losing their homes due to floods.
I'm watching a report on TV as we speak about the Swiss Alps melting at an alarming rate. Things don't look good. You don't have to be a "green freak" to acknowledge what's going on.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Well, I'm glad I'm not alone. Forecasting mid 60's for highs next weekend in N IL so I guess that will be my first window. I want to get out, even in the heat but don't want to be leaving scent in the woods when seeing next to no deer.

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
Definitely a change for sure... whether it's human caused or just mother Earth going through a "natural" cycle, I dunno...

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
They keep saying that, then it's another week, then another...I'd give my eye teeth for the Montana weather right now.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Weather modifying has been going on for 60 years but has picked up steam in the last 10 years or so. They can make it rain, snow and make a draught if they so desire. This is not conjecture, it is fact. Our skies have been being sprayed for years now. I have seen all sorts of spray systems on aircraft, most all of them large. Stripped out airliners that have pressurized tanks from the front to aft, all connected to a manifold system.

One can only speculate as to what percentage of this is manmade or natural.

Either way, it makes it difficult for hunting. A few years ago I killed a nice 8 point on this very day. It was foggy and very cool out. In fact, I had on an insulated hunting suit. This morning it is tee shirt weather. I'm also eat up with chiggers after scouting a couple days ago.

I, too, am so ready for cooler weather.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts