Crossbow Nation banner
41 - 54 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
Tenpoint Siege, Ripper 415, Vortex,
878 Posts
I look forward to the beginning of the season like a kid at Christmas, and this year was like getting up in the morning and not finding any presents. With the high temps and humidity in my area (North Central IL) deer movement has really been limited. I have been sticking to public land hunts because I don't want to burn out my better private land set ups during this heat. I have deer on the cameras I have set up on my private land, but almost all the movement is limited to darkness, with just a few hours at dawn and dusk. I know that is typical, but damn I wish the temps would drop, how about the rest of you- are others in my part of the country seeing/feeling this as well?
Same here in Kansas. 98 degrees yesterday in southwest Kansas. Ridiculous but hold on, I think next week is going to start changing things. 70’s for highs. I heard on the radio this would be a warm fall. Might push the rut back some. I’ve got vacation in November. I’ll be out every day all day.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #42 ·
I have really enjoyed all your comments. And fishing is what I have turned to here last weekend, but they weren't biting either. IL stocks trout at this time of year so I went fly fishing at one of the state parks about an hour north of me. The water level was so low the fish were only being caught out of one deep hole. I could see them hanging around in the stream acting very lethargic. I think the combination of the heat and water level was the culprit- was about 85 that day. And yesterday, another 80's day allowed me to watch the Iowa-Penn St. football game. My family is from S Eastern PA (Dad graduated from Penn St. and I grew up in IA, so I didn't know who I wanted to win). This time of year I seldom am not in the woods somewhere on a Saturday afternoon. Cooler temps supposedly on the way for next weekend though- highs expected in the mid 60's.

·
12,620 Posts
I'm still IN construction and know that all too well! I schedule and plan the work for the crews and things rarely ever go as planned! The only way I survive it is to plan on things not going as planned, LOL. Makes me sleep better anyway.....
I used ... to rent different sized cranes for the various different steel erecting projects, so I had a relationship with two of the bigger union crane companies around here. Talking to United Crane one time and they said they planned on 22% rain days here in the NY megalopolis. Figuring they probably had a hundred cranes and aerial lifts they had pretty accurate "big picture" data to work with.

·
Registered
Centerpoint Sniper 370
113 Posts
I don't feel like it's anything new. Here in Indiana it's usually still pretty warm for the archery opener. Supposed to be a cold front this weekend. Lows in the 40s at night.

·
Registered
14,863 Posts
Looks like Saturday is blowing in some cooler weather and hopefully it will stick around this time. I know I'm ready for it...

Rectangle Font Parallel Screenshot Number

·
Registered
Backinda woods of Maine
1,509 Posts
Its usually pretty chilly here in Maine by now. It's been in the mid 70's 50's at night. I sure hope it starts to cool off soon. Hunting in this weather just plain sucks! We need a good frost to get things moving. Been out just about every evening for 2 weeks and haven't seen one deer.
Stay cool
Oncebitten

·
1,704 Posts
Been out in the woods hunting since I was 17...If you are outside in the Fall,,you know on average Falls are staying warmer,,Winters are being pushed back and usually shorter,,Sure there are exceptions...and some short term extremes..Like Last Jan,,had near record Cold for 10 days,,but in general Warming up...Human cause,,,Natural ? Only GOD knows,,but without question,,a trend toward Warmer...

·
Registered
1,214 Posts
Here in NW Lower Michigan, it has been not just unusually warm, but overall wind directions have sucked...an abnormal amount of east winds. I usually have most of my success in the evening, but with lows in the 60's, just too warm to hang a deer over night. Luckily, in my 3rd morning hunt, I took a nice buck from behind the house last Saturday...and got him right into the processor. Finally, this weekend it looks like I might get to hunt over at my cabin (my favorite spot) in the evening with a WNW wind...been waiting since October 1st!

·
Registered
28 Posts
I look forward to the beginning of the season like a kid at Christmas, and this year was like getting up in the morning and not finding any presents. With the high temps and humidity in my area (North Central IL) deer movement has really been limited. I have been sticking to public land hunts because I don't want to burn out my better private land set ups during this heat. I have deer on the cameras I have set up on my private land, but almost all the movement is limited to darkness, with just a few hours at dawn and dusk. I know that is typical, but damn I wish the temps would drop, how about the rest of you- are others in my part of the country seeing/feeling this as well?
It was opening day here in my sweaty corner of Mississippi. High of 91, clouds of skeeters, and the damned deer have turned into vampires, afraid of the sun. First cool front coming thru tonight, thankfully.

·
12,620 Posts
84° ... in northern NJ yesterday. Deer simply rarely moving in daylight.

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
Ramrod and I just got back from our three day Sika stint on the Eastern Shore of MD.
Surprisingly the mosquitoes weren't as bad as I thought. Of course the ThermaCELL was chugging away...poor Ram never laid eyes on a deer, but he did hear them whistling and squealing away evey morning.
I didn't see a Sika, but I did hear some every morning and evening.
I ended up seeing 8 antlerless whitetails, 10 turkeys, three had really nice beards, and an almost pure white Delmarva fox squirrel..
No shot opportunities on the whitetails unfortunately.
It was in the high 70s Wednesday and Thursday, well over 80 on Friday...
Always a good time with my VA buddy 👍.

·
12,620 Posts
Ramrod and I just got back from our three day Sika stint on the Eastern Shore of MD.
Surprisingly the mosquitoes weren't as bad as I thought. Of course the ThermaCELL was chugging away...poor Ram never laid eyes on a deer, but he did hear them whistling and squealing away evey morning.
I didn't see a Sika, but I did hear some every morning and evening.
I ended up seeing 8 antlerless whitetails, 10 turkeys, three had really nice beards, and an almost pure white Delmarva fox squirrel..
No shot opportunities on the whitetails unfortunately.
It was in the high 70s Wednesday and Thursday, well over 80 on Friday...
Always a good time with my VA buddy 👍.
The mosquitos ... have been biblical. Trust me, that Thermocell kept you from getting chewed up. Good chance it kept you from seeing any Sitka too...lol It's unfortunate that the weather was so warm for your hunt. It certainly didn't help move the deer around. Glad you had a good time. Word is Ram's a good egg. ;)

Reactions: Inspector98

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
East central Wisconsin, This morning 38 degrees. Sat yesterday afternoon in the treestand, temp about 52. Bye Bye mosquitoes.

·
Registered
545 Posts
Michigan weather has been horrible for us this year.

Nice all week then come Friday-Sunday it’s either hot, raining or gale force wind. Oh let’s not forget the pterodactyl sized mosquito population this year.

KI Swat X1
Sig Sauer BDX and Kilo
Thorn Crown 125 and HPX 125

Reactions: beervo2
41 - 54 of 54 Posts