Crossbow Nation banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Rocky mountain 405 crossbow

Looking down the rail the top and bottom limbs on the left side are splintering just outside the limb pocket. No dry fires and probably less than 100 shots. Purchased it July 27th of this year.
Wood Bicycle part Tool Automotive exterior Bumper

·
Registered
6,103 Posts
Sorry to hear about the crossbow.
This is a common problem. This crossbow is no longer manufactured. It was manufactured in Taiwan.

If you go the the post "Sliver on my limb" I just finished doing a response there of what can be done
as a temporary fix and what to do if one decides to purchase one of the mentioned crossbows in that
response.

Wishing you all the best.
Take care.

·
Registered
6,103 Posts
This is a rocky mountain not a carbon express and should be under warranty. Dicks shows them in stock for $189.00
Checking Dick's in regards to the crossbow, it says "Not available to ship".

This Rocky Mountain 405 series crossbow is no longer manufactured so hopefully
one may still be lucky on warranty if Feradyne has spare parts.

For that price, one is better to purchase the complete crossbow as one would
have a spare set of cables, bowstring and string stop rubbers.
I have found these string stop rubbers superior to what Bow Jax are. The
Bow Jax are not properly cured and came stuck together in the package of
2 and loose ones in a zip lock type bag were also stuck together. These
Bow Jax have an outer cover that ends up rolling back on itself.

Other Bow Jax I have used have the four tits and the center pops out first,
then if kept using, they split. Bow Jax will not stand up to a lot of shooting,
even with a small gap between them and the bowstring which reduces the
full vibration hitting them until the bowstring stops.

Take care.

·
Registered
5,322 Posts
Checking Dick's in regards to the crossbow, it says "Not available to ship".

This Rocky Mountain 405 series crossbow is no longer manufactured so hopefully
one may still be lucky on warranty if Feradyne has spare parts.

For that price, one is better to purchase the complete crossbow as one would
have a spare set of cables, bowstring and string stop rubbers.
I have found these string stop rubbers superior to what Bow Jax are. The
Bow Jax are not properly cured and came stuck together in the package of
2 and loose ones in a zip lock type bag were also stuck together. These
Bow Jax have an outer cover that ends up rolling back on itself.

Other Bow Jax I have used have the four tits and the center pops out first,
then if kept using, they split. Bow Jax will not stand up to a lot of shooting,
even with a small gap between them and the bowstring which reduces the
full vibration hitting them until the bowstring stops.

Take care.
if feradyne is still in business and your warranty is intact then they owe you parts or a replacement xbow. Member just had that problem with center point. No longer make the gladiator so they gave him a cp 400.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
if feradyne is still in business and your warranty is intact then they owe you parts or a replacement xbow. Member just had that problem with center point. No longer make the gladiator so they gave him a cp 400.
I'm trying to figure out their warranty but so far the website has been no help. The place I bought it from will not be open until Tuesday so I plan on starting with them first. Hopefully they take care of this quickly. If I can get warranty parts and finish the hunting season I will probably be looking for something more reliable for next season.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I must say that the customer service at Dunns Sporting Goods in Pevely Missouri is top notch. They replaced the entire front end of the bow without hesitation. They took it off of one They had there and said that they didn't want me to be without my bow in the middle of hunting season. Missouri fellas, you should consider them if you are in the area!

·
Registered
6,103 Posts
I must say that the customer service at Dunns Sporting Goods in Pevely Missouri is top notch. They replaced the entire front end of the bow without hesitation. They took it off of one They had there and said that they didn't want me to be without my bow in the middle of hunting season. Missouri fellas, you should consider them if you are in the area!
Congratulations on getting the crossbow repaired.
As I mentioned before, the limbs can fail at any time (splinter).

If you have a crossbow press, I would disassemble the riser and starting near the cams,
wrap the limbs as tight as possible with high quality electrical tape to the end of the limb
where it fits the limb pocket. Have the end of the wrap so it ends between the limb and
the pocket.

The other suggestion even if you do not have a press is to partially cock the crossbow
and block the cams. Now remove some twists from the bow string. This will back the
cams off a bit lowering the speed of the arrow. Unless this is done, the crossbow limbs
are under full stress uncocked or cocked. Shooting a heavier arrow-point combination
just slows the speed of the arrow down.
If the manufacture, when these crossbows were still being manufactured had corrected
their limb problem, they would have had a very high quality crossbow. These limbs will not
take the continuous cocking and shooting. Leaving the crossbow cocked in a hunting
situation?? Out of the box these crossbows will make the advertised speed providing one
takes into consideration if an over weight arrow-point combination is used.

Take care.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Congratulations on getting the crossbow repaired.
As I mentioned before, the limbs can fail at any time (splinter).

If you have a crossbow press, I would disassemble the riser and starting near the cams,
wrap the limbs as tight as possible with high quality electrical tape to the end of the limb
where it fits the limb pocket. Have the end of the wrap so it ends between the limb and
the pocket.

The other suggestion even if you do not have a press is to partially cock the crossbow
and block the cams. Now remove some twists from the bow string. This will back the
cams off a bit lowering the speed of the arrow. Unless this is done, the crossbow limbs
are under full stress uncocked or cocked. Shooting a heavier arrow-point combination
just slows the speed of the arrow down.
If the manufacture, when these crossbows were still being manufactured had corrected
their limb problem, they would have had a very high quality crossbow. These limbs will not
take the continuous cocking and shooting. Leaving the crossbow cocked in a hunting
situation?? Out of the box these crossbows will make the advertised speed providing one
takes into consideration if an over weight arrow-point combination is used.

Take care.
I don't doubt that you are correct but I do not have a bow press. I could wrap the portions of the limbs that can be accessed without disassembling anything but I'm not comfortable trying to half cock the bow and take it apart on my own. Maybe wrapping the portions I can will be enough to get me through the season and I'm planning on doing more research between now and next season in order to purchase a better quality bow. At $189 dollars it wasn't a huge risk but I hoped it would last longer than it did before repair work was needed. It has shown me how much I like hunting with a crossbow.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
@bunnyrabbit I appreciate your knowledge and advice. I wrapped the portions of the limbs that I could and hopefully that is enough to get the limbs to hold up for a while. I think it's asinine to have to put electrical tape on a new bow to get it to last but it's worth it for now if it gets me through the season. Next year I will have a more reputable bow. I'm gonna keep the borrowed barnett quad avi for a backup but hopefully I won't need it.
Tire Automotive tire Wood Wheel Vehicle

·
Registered
6,103 Posts
The wrapping is definitely going to help. Another check one can make once in a while
is with the crossbow cocked, measure from each axle to the nearest edge of the rail-
stock. Any difference will show if you have a different limb deflection or a weaker limb
showing up. With a minor difference, one can make a scope windage adjustment.

As a limb gets weaker, the weaker side will get closer to the rail-stock due to the stronger
limb taking over. Shooting an arrow it will go toward the weaker side. As an example: if
the weaker side is on the left, the arrow will go to the left side of the aiming point.

Doing little shooting, a crossbow may go longer before the problem eventually shows up.

Wishing you the best.
Take care.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts