Crossbow Nation banner
21 - 40 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
4,778 Posts
You better hope she doesn't read that...lol
Oh, I know better than to make a comment like that with her in the room! I love being in the woods, but don't wanna LIVE there, LOL.

Reactions: Oncebitten and JCAT

·
Registered
15,084 Posts
After all my jaw-jacking I will admit I wont be hunting Thanksgiving day. I'll be working instead. BUT....I only have Thanksgiving day and a half day on Friday then I'll be officially retired and can hunt anytime I want to afterwards so all aint lost.:)

·
Registered
220 Posts
We are lined up to have an awesome day tomorrow here in N IL (hunting weather-wise). Would love to go out, but that would totally piss off the wife. My question for you all is, assuming you're married, how do you get out to hunt on a "family" day. Makes sense to me to spend the morning hunting and then head in for the meal and family time, but I know the wife wouldn't see it that way.
Need to change that wife...

·
Registered
ScorpyD ACLEUS 460
3,972 Posts
We are lined up to have an awesome day tomorrow here in N IL (hunting weather-wise). Would love to go out, but that would totally piss off the wife. My question for you all is, assuming you're married, how do you get out to hunt on a "family" day. Makes sense to me to spend the morning hunting and then head in for the meal and family time, but I know the wife wouldn't see it that way.
There are some wars better off not fought and that's one of them. Remember, marriage is a partnership that requires compromise on both sides, if it's to work.
I believe giving the animals a day of rest and peace isn't going to harm anything, but not giving the wife a family day that's important to her could ruin a lot more
than a single day of hunting.

Just one mans opinion!

·
Registered
123 Posts
I was planning on hunting tommorw but I filled my last buck tag tonight and its bucks only on the wma's I hunt till this weekend. So I have to wait till Saturday to try and fill the last 2 doe tags and be tagged out for the season.

And I'm not married but if I was. I would tell her hey I'm going hunting, take care of everything be back when I kill or after dark, slap her on the butt as I rolled out the door.

·
Registered
4,778 Posts
Well my hunting plans for this afternoon just went out the window. Rain all afternoon until early evening here. I will just have to settle for staying in the dry and eating some left over smoked turkey sandwiches......

I will be out early tomorrow though!

Reactions: USAF Ret in Wis

·
Registered
14 Posts
After all my jaw-jacking I will admit I wont be hunting Thanksgiving day. I'll be working instead. BUT....I only have Thanksgiving day and a half day on Friday then I'll be officially retired and can hunt anytime I want to afterwards so all aint lost.:)
Congratulations on your retirement. I retired in Sept. but may need to go back to work to rest. All this extra time for hunting is wearing me out. Enjoy your time.

·
Registered
Scorpyd Orion Ravin R9
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 · (Edited)
I've enjoyed reading all these comments. Interesting to hear all the different takes on the day and how you handle them. I'll be asking the same question regarding Christmas about a month from now:D As a side note, I don't feel I'm missing out at the moment- pretty crappy weather out there for now.

·
Registered
4,778 Posts
Morning tied up here.......Decided to smoke a breast! Biggest I've ever seen, 11.5 lbs!

Food Ingredient Rotisserie Recipe Cookware and bakeware

·
Registered
61 Posts
Some might relate to this. I live in CT. and the first firearms deer season ever and
for some years starting in the early or mid seventys was muzzle loader opening on Thanksgiving day. Yup I insisted I was going and did, dawn till dark..... turned out after a year or 2 the wife found she preferred my hunting over trying to please 2 family's that both insisted on having Thanksgiving on Thanksgiving day in the afternoon. So I was the bad guy LOL ..... with her blessing, my hunting excused us from picking which dinner to attend or worse yet going to both and trying to eat enough to please the hosting mother hers or mine.
We had our own Thanksgiving those years and ever since,,, later than most when I got home from my day in the woods. Eventually Thanksgiving was no longer opening day but a tradition that worked for both of us had arrived and lasted about 40 years..... guess I got older and soft and started leaving the woods mid day.

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
Hunted this morning saw 20-25, including a 3.5 y/o busted up 8 pt. His left side is intact, his right side, not so much, lol! Had to pass. Most deer that I have seen since opening day.

21 - 40 of 41 Posts