Crossbow Nation banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,717 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I saw this deal on craigslist in the Gettysburg area. Has 135 lb limbs on it. I was seriously thinking about buying it but he wouldn't ship it. Said he would knock another 50 off but man an 8 hr round trip I just dont have time for this weekend. I thought I would post it on here for anyone interested. Looks like a hell of a deal!

·
Registered
5,421 Posts
I saw this deal on craigslist in the Gettysburg area. Has 135 lb limbs on it. I was seriously thinking about buying it but he wouldn't ship it. Said he would knock another 50 off but man an 8 hr round trip I just dont have time for this weekend. I thought I would post it on here for anyone interested. Looks like a hell of a deal!

First, it's not a Ventilator, it's an Orion Extreme. 2016 or 2017 leftover.

Second, it is not original. It has aftermarket limbs.

Third, I've seen this one posted by someone here before. Can't remember who posted it, but was a couple months back. Disregard, it was in a PM, and I do remember who sent me it. IIRC, It was originally listed as a Ventilator for $700, the original add is now gone.

Fourth, here was my assessment then, October 2021. Just my side from the pics originally, and as information came in, return posts numbered. Keep in mind the original price, and this gentleman was looking to mount an ACUdraw on it.

It's a Frankenbow for sure. Probably a 2016, originally.

Orion Extreme rail. 2016 -2017

Yes, Extreme riser. 2015 - 2017.

Yes, Gen-4 cams. 2015 - 2016.

Yes, original ACUdraw ready. Stock could be 2014 to 2017.

Recoil pads were optional, but one can be added. They might have just removed it for someone with a shorter LOP?

The limbs are not original, and are aftermarket Barnsdale. Original 2016 limbs would have Scorpyd decals, and titanium sex bolts in the limb tips. By the looks of the limbs from the top, they are lighter draw weight than 175, or 160. They are probably between 110# and 135#, but could also be lighter than that?

If I had to guess, I would say it originally started out as a 2016 Orion Extreme. At least that is what the rail tells me, unless that has been replaced, but doubtful.

I would have liked to have seen a clear pic of the back end of the rail. It could have been a Ventilator Extreme, converted to an Orion Extreme? The full picture was a bit fuzzy. Either way, it's an Orion Extreme now.

The rail is smooth sided, which means 2016 or later. Pre-2016 they had shallow grooves extruded in the rail.

2015 Ventilator Extreme Rail.

Here is the rail pic from your post above.

I did notice some damage to the rail. The other side may be like it? Possibly from an ACUdraw sled getting jammed up on the arrow retainer?

The limbs have sex bolts in the tips, just not titanium. Dead giveaway for aftermarket limbs that are no longer available. I have a set or three just like them.

If you would give me a link to the ad, I can probably help you further. I promise I'm not looking to buy it. I already have 6 Scorpyds, and need to start thinning the herd before I retire. I might possibly be able to tell you who is selling it? It may or may not be worth the asking price, depends on the condition of the rest of the bow? Is there more pictures, or any disclosed damage like the 3 chips in the rail? These are all things that can help you get a better deal, if they are not a deal breaker for you. Did he disclose the 3 chips?

Don't know who the seller is. I would be a little leary, for one he don't even know what the bow is. He thinks it's a Ventilator, it's an Orion Extreme. He obviously bought it used, and HE may have only shot it one year. I would want more pictures of specific parts of the bow. The bottoms of the cams showing the lobes the cables ride in for one. I would want Gen-4c cams, some of the early 2015 Gen-4a/4b cams were really rough on strings and cables. They were made by a new supplier, and were not deburred properly before anodizing. They changed suppliers and cam lobe profiles on the Gen-4c cams.

I would also ask for specific pictures of any damage or wear on the bow. The string serving also has some wear, but that is to be expected at some point.

I would want pics of the limbs cocked, just ahead of the limb pocket to check for possible cracks.

His listing is really vague, he really don't have much to go on. You know more of what he has than he does.

I personally wouldn't buy that bow without looking at it first.

Good luck in whatever you decide!

If you get more information or pictures, I'll try to help.

Fifth, or last but not least, I'm not a fan of Craigslist for several reasons. There are a couple red flags here.

·
Registered
5,421 Posts
Holy smokes Ventilator, you truly are the Scorpyd expert! Wow! Glad I didn't drive to go see it by the sounds of it. Thank you!

My mistake. You need to click on each of the photos in the Craigslist ad to get the better resolution. The pic is the same as the original once clicked on and the chips are present. Sorry for the confusion, and I needed to clear that up.

I'm not saying the bow isn't worth $500 , because it likely is. My assessment was for the original asking price of $700, which I have confirmed.

I have exactly one Craigslist experience, and there will never be another. I didn't buy the item, so in the end the experience turned out good, as long as you don't know the details. The devil is in the details!

·
Premium Member
5,848 Posts
I'd buy it in a heartbeat if he would ship! Not driving from Tn. for it.....

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
I'll bet 12 hours one way for me. I don't even want to think about the fuel costs.
For you guys that would buy for parts, can you give a breakdown of parts value? Just curious :unsure: ;)o_O🤑
No worries about me buying it out from under anyone.

·
Premium Member
5,848 Posts
1 - 20 of 30 Posts