Crossbow Nation banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Folks,

Anybody ever used a Leupold 3x9x33 EFR (Extended Focus Range) scope on their crossbow?

I will have a new Scorpyd Aculeus arriving in a few more days and will likely use this scope...been using it on one of my high-end PCP air rifles for years.

I have looked thru the (3) typically used Hawke scopes (XR1...XB30 and XB30 Pro).....not very impressed.

What I disliked with the Hawkes (compared to this particular Leupold model):

1) Glass quality only average;;;very early dawn and late dusk....image was hazy, dark and not crisp...lacking in excellent light transmission.
2) Parallax set for 50 yds....not adjustable from 10 yds. out to hundreds of yards.
3) I can eyeball yardage on game out to 50 yards within + - 2-3 yards. I simply hold the crosshairs between 1" and 5" high depending on distance as the yardage increases out to
50, and simply hold crosshairs for that range. These Hawke scopes (and really 90% of crossbow-specific scopes I have seen), are way too "busy / cluttered" with all the hashmarks, graduations, incremental markings, etc. All that "clutter" annoys the heck out of me! All that is required is a brilliantly clear, bright, open view with only the simple crosshairs visible.

In summary, for deer hunting with crossbows I believe several scope manufacturers have successfully convinced way too many of us that if they don't use these cluttered, range-finding, poor light-gathering scopes on their crossbow, they will be unsuccessful.

·
Registered
664 Posts
I have a Leupold 3x9-40 with Firedot on my Aculeus. It doesn't have adjustable parallax but i adjusted it too 50 yds. I hate cluttered recticles. I have an HHA and leave it set at 32 yds. I am point and shoot 0-40 yds when set at 32 yds. Or i can set the HHA for exact yardage. Its working great, at least on targets....lol Haven't hunted with it yet....

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have a Leupold 3x9-40 with Firedot on my Aculeus. It doesn't have adjustable parallax but i adjusted it too 50 yds. I hate cluttered recticles. I have an HHA and leave it set at 32 yds. I am point and shoot 0-40 yds when set at 32 yds. Or i can set the HHA for exact yardage. Its working great, at least on targets....lol Haven't hunted with it yet....
ApexerER,
I have heard that the HHA optimizer works very well. As long as it doesn't take too long to get it dialed-in when a deer shows up, I bet it works really well.

I just figure that today's crossbows shoot so flat that estimating holdover out to 50 yds. is not a big deal.....

·
Registered
664 Posts
ApexerER,
I have heard that the HHA optimizer works very well. As long as it doesn't take too long to get it dialed-in when a deer shows up, I bet it works really well.

I just figure that today's crossbows shoot so flat that estimating holdover out to 50 yds. is not a big deal.....
I actually planned on only using the single reticle Leupold but someone had the HHA for sale so i picked it up. I don't plan on changing it in the stand. Set @32 yds i am well within the killzone at any range out to 40yds....One of the reasons i wanted the higher poundage Aculeus was for the flatter trajectory. But it is there if i ever need it and it is fun dialing it right in on targets....

What i would love is Burky's dial a range. Don't know if i'll ever get it but that has all they benefits and none of the bulk....

1 - 5 of 5 Posts