1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Banned
5,180 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
1,918 Posts
I'm using it on the R26 but not the cables from Dorge. I sent those back they aren't made by GAS. He has some other guy making them to GAS spec and the end loops aren't served.

So far I like the pulley system. Easier to install IMO, fully served end loops and makes for a little quieter and less vibration shot. Not a lot but there is a difference. Absolutely zero cam lean. I had zero stretch on the GAS string and cables so far. No speed loss.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Are you sure no speed loss? I read that was one of the trade offs with this system. I might get it for my R29x if I don't have any speed loss.

·
Registered
10,881 Posts
I know that Gas was making a tad shorter string which made the ATA a little tighter and that increases speed some. So it probably equals out.

·
Vendor
590 Posts
No speed loss.. And GAS specs were based of 4 cables string specs from Ravin.. What many don't realize is the the cable spec that " Ravin " puts out doesn't jive with the 10.5 ATA. Meaning when they are made to Ravin spec the ATA will be a tad short, but still within tolerance. Yes it will cycle in the cams a little more and could produce a little more speed, being built according to " spec " ..

The cables being longer and only 2 is an advantage,, Also they have areas not served which allows for some timing ..

·
Vendor
590 Posts
Funny that my Ravin R20 wearing stock string and cables was 10.5" ATA out of the box then.
Did you check the cable / string spec or just assumed because your bow was at 10.5 that the theards were built to spec ? And that was my point about the cable and string spec not jiving with ATA spec.. To my understanhding The String Builder will always build according to string and cable spec. Archery shops know, or should know that tolerances of the bow ata, BH, Tiller etc are based on a tolerance and could be slightly different.. Notice the Ravin has 2 dots that allow for room to move, not an absolute..

·
Vendor
590 Posts
I always check my specs. Been working on my bows since the 1970s.

You said nothing about checking cable and string spec, only ATA. Just in Ravin I've had over 140-150 of them on my bench and GAS I think would agree with me in the string spec / ATA issue.. Not sure on CBN, but this was a topic many many times over the last couple years on Ravin boards trying to make sense to some people that the ATA and string spec can often not add up.

·
Registered
10,881 Posts
Everyone here seems to have a 10.5 ATA on their standard Ravin bows, R9 R15 R20. I have not seen anyone saying their strings and cables are short causing an shorter ATA. Most if on dead on have to put 2 or 3 twists in the string or cables to get them dead on using the factory strings/cables.
I just left the Gas Strings website and could only find the 5 piece Ravin set. I was looking for the 2 piece cable set. Why is it not listed for sale? I am thinking about changing over to Dorge's system.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Everyone here seems to have a 10.5 ATA on their standard Ravin bows, R9 R15 R20. I have not seen anyone saying their strings and cables are short causing an shorter ATA. Most if on dead on have to put 2 or 3 twists in the string or cables to get them dead on using the factory strings/cables.
I just left the Gas Strings website and could only find the 5 piece Ravin set. I was looking for the 2 piece cable set. Why is it not listed for sale? I am thinking about changing over to Dorge's system.
I saw that also and was wondering the same. Do they have the specs for Dorge's cable system?

·
Vendor
590 Posts

Not sure what the trouble is in understanding that becuse your ATA is 10.5 doesn't mean the cable specs are correct or they didn't move some sitting at static. If GAS made the string and cables out of Ravin spec to match ATA than I take it we would be seeing complaints about GAS not making the String and Cable spec right.

I've also had plenty of bows come in the shop in with less than 60 shots that were near new with ATAT pushing 11 inch at 10 7/8 inch.

·
Vendor
590 Posts
I saw that also and was wondering the same. Do they have the specs for Dorge's cable system?

Specs can different bewteen the bow models. I think Dorge has his cables done a little different than I do mine and only one color ( black ) is offered.

·
Registered
10,881 Posts
Dorge's specs are the same for the 3 models I listed above. The R10 was a tad shorter and of course the R26 and R29 are different.
Like I said above, the factory specs are a tad long not short as they all take a twist or 2 to get strings and cables timed correctly. I have not heard of any short specs except Gas which used to have them listed that way on the website. You has 2 options, a short ATA or 10.45 ATA to order from. I am sure you are aware of this.
BTW, you did not answer my question about not being able to find a listing for the 2 cables on the Gas website. Are they a dealer option only?

·
Registered
432 Posts
The R 29 and R10 is 10.5" and the R26 is 9.25"

·
Vendor
590 Posts
Dorge's specs are the same for the 3 models I listed above. The R10 was a tad shorter and of course the R26 and R29 are different.
Like I said above, the factory specs are a tad long not short as they all take a twist or 2 to get strings and cables timed correctly. I have not heard of any short specs except Gas which used to have them listed that way on the website. You has 2 options, a short ATA or 10.45 ATA to order from. I am sure you are aware of this.
BTW, you did not answer my question about not being able to find a listing for the 2 cables on the Gas website. Are they a dealer option only?

I'm not sure on the GAS website why they list 4 cables and not 2.. I said maybe because they would need to be a Firenock dealer to set the bracket, I can not say for sure.. Best to Call GAS and ask them. I don't run their website or their inventory..

·
Registered
1,918 Posts
Dorge sells 2 different length cables for the R26 and recommends the longer set which slows the bow down and puts less stress on the limbs so some of the speed loss can be coming from the longer cables. Dorge doesn't only have GAS building his cables for the Ravin's. He uses someone else also.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts