Crossbow Nation banner

121 - 139 of 139 Posts

·
Registered
1,475 Posts
Dave,
I truly hope you sell a lot of the single cable systems. My goal as always is to try to inform propective buyers of both sides of the story. This way they can make a more informed decision before spending their hard earned dollars.
Dorge always makes a quality product and I believe there's plenty of market out there for both the 2 cable and single cable systems.
All the best to you and wishing you and yours a wonderful Thanksgiving.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Here's a more economical option. I built a test cable to see what layout length I would need. The second attempt matched the stock cables I recently installed- 5 & 25/32nds. Using a 2 post jig, I joined old cables to the new cable loops to add some length in order to make room to serve between the posts, it also made it much easier to close the loops. Its disturbing to see how much the old set elongated, hopefully the current one holds up better.

Attachments

·
Registered
5,310 Posts
Discussion Starter #123 (Edited)
Wrong.. The Ravin nock fit is too tight on GAS center serve in U nock spec .130-.135, the Ravin nock can deform the serving it fits so tight. GAS has been spacing .126-.128 for Ravin standard nock fit.
What brand and diameter serving does GAS use to get the .130”-135” to use with the U nock and what brand and diameter serving do they use to get the .126”-.128” for the Ravin nock?

That’s a diameter range of .004” to .007” overall so the serving thread differences would need to be about half that I would think. Or do they put in less string strands to reduce the diameter? Thanks.

I’m probably over thinking but I think it’s a good question.

I decided to look up Angel Majesty serving and found they may .015", .018", .021”, .026” and .036” (which I have).

Then I measured my string serving diameter and either side of the nock seating area I get .138”-.139”. No wonder they’re so damn hard to seat.

·
Vendor
651 Posts
What brand and diameter serving does GAS use to get the .130”-135” to use with the U nock and what brand and diameter serving do they use to get the .126”-.128” for the Ravin nock?

That’s a diameter range of .004” to .007” overall so the serving thread differences would need to be about half that I would think. Or do they put in less string strands to reduce the diameter? Thanks.

I’m probably over thinking but I think it’s a good question.

Firenock U Nock spec based on Ravin style , railess bow .130-.135 ,, The Ravin center serving spec can be .134, but what happnes is their serve has more give hence the issues vs GAS stuff doesn't budge So .126-.128 in GAS is the equivalent, but it can be on the tight side for C nock that you really want to keep under .125 or .123.. In ideal world the U nock spec is the better serve, the Ravin nock / bushing is a horrible nock concept and really was just a cheap way to bypass Firenock patent that is really imo a better nock to use in terms of working with the function of the trigger box.

·
Vendor
651 Posts
Here's a more economical option. I built a test cable to see what layout length I would need. The second attempt matched the stock cables I recently installed- 5 & 25/32nds. Using a 2 post jig, I joined old cables to the new cable loops to add some length in order to make room to serve between the posts, it also made it much easier to close the loops. Its disturbing to see how much the old set elongated, hopefully the current one holds up better.

Not that I am a " string builder " and I may be incorrect but when speaking with GAS to have any kind of real stabilty in the cable at least 1 loop end has to be served. Non served loop ends are a little less time consuming to make. What is effective perhaps on other bows like vertical bow maybe ok, but for crossbows in terms of Ravins that are only .89-.90 I wouldn't even think of throwing a cable with no served loop ends.

·
Registered
5,310 Posts
Discussion Starter #126
When I got my R10, the included Ravin bolts had Ravin nocks pressed into aluminum collars on the end. Because of their FPS, I thought maybe this was similar to the Mission MX400 that required aluminum nocks because of the amount of force applied to the nocks.

All the info I found on Ravins was “I had to use Ravin nocks”. So when I coughed up $100+ for a half dozen Tapps, I ordered them with Ravin nocks and they came with the same aluminum inserts on the nock end.

I was not aware that U nocks were acceptable. I assume the aluminum inserts on my Tapps are glued in so whenever I order the 2 cable system and a string - it will have to accommodate Ravin nocks.

·
Registered
11,371 Posts
You are correct as they are surely glued in. That is why I ordered the inserts and made my own. Mine are installed with hot melt so I can use the arrows for my Scorpyd and Excaliburs also.

·
Vendor
651 Posts
When I got my R10, the included Ravin bolts had Ravin nocks pressed into aluminum collars on the end. Because of their FPS, I thought maybe this was similar to the Mission MX400 that required aluminum nocks because of the amount of force applied to the nocks.

All the info I found on Ravins was “I had to use Ravin nocks”. So when I coughed up $100+ for a half dozen Tapps, I ordered them with Ravin nocks and they came with the same aluminum inserts on the nock end.

I was not aware that U nocks were acceptable. I assume the aluminum inserts on my Tapps are glued in so whenever I order the 2 cable system and a string - it will have to accommodate Ravin nocks.

The metal nock bushing was ravin's way of bypassing the Firenock Patenent,, nothing more than that outside of the nock bushing being a cheap way out of making a 70or 80K nock mold. There is actaully a disadvantage to the nock bushing.

·
Registered
5,310 Posts
Discussion Starter #129
There is actaully a disadvantage to the nock bushing.
Which is?

I’m going to stick with these Tapps with Ravin nocks until the Arrow Fairy brings me another $100.

·
Registered
39 Posts
It's served, I havent seen an advantage to served on on a 3 or 4 post vs. tag end served, other than it may look prettier to some.

·
Vendor
651 Posts
Which is?

I’m going to stick with these Tapps with Ravin nocks until the Arrow Fairy brings me another $100.

Bushing is held on by glues / epoxies, right Like vertical bow your cross bow is still subject to nock travel and those pressures in interact differently especially in more diverse weather conditions. Different is not consistent.. Like I said there is NOTHING special about a Ravin nock, it's price point, box store store stuff. That metal bushing would not be there on Ravin arrow is Firenock didn't have the patent.. The larger Dia nock not being reduced will also help the anti dry fire mechanism work better.. Keep in mind Ravin's forte is not in nock design..

·
Registered
5,310 Posts
Discussion Starter #134
I measured a J and a Q nock along with a Ravin and they all were .238” at the front of the throat. The J and Q go straight back, the Ravin nock tapers a bit towards the end.

What I did notice on the Ravin is there’s little “fangs” inside both lips at the end that look like the fangs on a rattlesnake.

Seems like these would wedge between the serving coils and actually restrict lateral movement but I’m just a rookie Ravin owner.

·
Vendor
651 Posts
I measured a J and a Q nock along with a Ravin and they all were .238” at the front of the throat. The J and Q go straight back, the Ravin nock tapers a bit towards the end.

What I did notice on the Ravin is there’s little “fangs” inside both lips at the end that look like the fangs on a rattlesnake.

Seems like these would wedge between the serving coils and actually restrict lateral movement but I’m just a rookie Ravin owner.

Q and J are irrelevant, neither of them are for a Ravin, Q is for a .145 and J is for a .155 per Firenock spec.

U on a rail system for Ravin .130-135

In terms of semi railess DS U nock can be used on the lower end ideally .142 on Scorpyds, with the option of an Aero Rest now on some Scorpyds the he Tech 1 I am in the mist of testing out the U nock.

·
Registered
2,091 Posts
There is no need to remove the orange cam post, nothing has to be removed from the cam. The loop does not get forced through the orange cam post. The fibers in the open area of the cables can easily be slipped in between the gap of the orange cam post,, plenty of room without any concern of loop damage since the loop doesn't have to contact the cam post at all... I have done it numerous times. On the unserved loop end you have to be more careful that you don't damage fibers when pulling the cable through as you will have to use serving or floss to tug the loop through.
I tried telling him.

·
Registered
5,310 Posts
Discussion Starter #137
However, if you specify the larger diameter center serving from GAS that's intended for U-nocks, you should be good using the Ravin orange nock.

Wrong.. The Ravin nock fit is too tight on GAS center serve in U nock spec .130-.135, the Ravin nock can deform the serving it fits so tight. GAS has been spacing .126-.128 for Ravin standard nock fit.

I’m confused slightly. Do I flip a coin to see which direction to go?

I thought I read somewhere that VL said there would be a price increase after the first of the year. Wife said she’s get me the $250 brackets, cables, and string set so I want to order before 2021 but I still have questions yet to be answered.

I asked Eric to send me a couple feet of 3 different colors so I can get the exact color scheme that I want, hopefully he won’t forget.

·
Registered
89 Posts

I thought I read somewhere that VL said there would be a price increase after the first of the year. Wife said she’s get me the $250 brackets, cables, and string set so I want to order before 2021 but I still have questions yet to be answered.

I asked Eric to send me a couple feet of 3 different colors so I can get the exact color scheme that I want, hopefully he won’t forget.
u r a REAL EL CHEAPO!!!!! lol

·
Vendor
651 Posts

Right now my prices are $249.95 TYD anywhere in the US... 2021 they are likley to go up as it doesn't make sense for me to sell at prices that includes shipping cost with cables that have "both" loop ends served. 2021 is likley going to come down to if a person wants to spend another $10-20 for both loop ends served or save it, but possibly also bare some shipping cost to have non served loops which are not as good.

121 - 139 of 139 Posts