Crossbow Nation banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On another forum that I frequent :eek: an anti crossbow poster made the following comment:
The best reason i have seen for an able body man to choose crossbow, is muster. Muster is building his own crossbow, that would be very rewarding to harvest an animal with a weapon built by oneself. The rest of the arguments for full inclusion I find very PATHETIC!! Why has the crossbow been regulated for the physically challenged? How would a man physically capable of shooting a verticle bow feel at a 3-d shoot? I would more than welcome an elderly/physically impaired individual beside me on a 3-d course with crossbow, but anyone else needs to get a grip!

To which I responded: Also, I guess I'm at a loss to understand the rationale behind your comments how a physically capable man shooting a crossbow "feels" at a 3-D shoot has to do with anything. Is this a self-esteem issue that you are bringing up? If so, should one feel better about oneself or should one feel less about oneself in this situation? Perhaps better addressed in its own thread.

This brings up some legitimate questions that I thought better answered here than a room full of anti's that try to derail every crossbow discussion with their gaggle. Here it is...

- Does your local archery club allow crossbows at their range and/or 3-D shoots. If not, why
not?

- If your local archery club allows crossbows, is it for any/all or, just the disabled?

- Do you actually shoot at your local archery club either at the range and/or 30-D shoots.
If not, why not?

Other comments?

·
665 Posts
Riva

I read that and laughed

I know the 3-d course that used to go too and will be going back too allows cross-bow's

that guy that posted that is a nut case

·
Obsessed Huntress
5,583 Posts
First, in my area, the ranges are run by Texas Bow hunters association members, and crossbows are not invited to participate. So, that's where it ends, right there. 3-D shoots? Are you kidding?

Most crossbow shooters don't want to go where they are not wanted, or invited, or feel intimidated, unlike some of the vertical BH lurkers on here, who have invaded and who've gone out of their way and tried to stir up trouble or arguments. Seems to be a difference between the two classes of folks. So far in my personal experience, crossbow shooters have way more class.:eek:

·
11,565 Posts
That guy probably shoots

a compound holding about 8 lbs draw weight at full draw:rolleyes: I'll bet he has no idea that the orignal compound was designed with handicapped archers in mind.

In Virginia, where crossbows are already included in bowhunting season, it's a struggle to get local clubs that are mostly run by arrogant PBS types:puke: to consider including crossbows even for life long members that are in their 70's and can't shoot even a compound bow anymore. That's cold. They remain non sactioned by NFAA, IBO and ASA, all of which have classes for crossbows, so they can keep crossbows out. All these turds will eventually get old and not able to shoot a compound or recurve and will then be relegated to sitting at home on tournament day and that's what they will deserve. It's hard for me to understand why they believe that the presence of crossbows will take away from their enjoying whatever they choose to shoot an arrow with. They will be overtuned in the long run and rightfully so. We are going to see to it.

·
1,426 Posts
my personal choice after shooting a compound with sights, etc... was that a traditional bow was the way for me... stick and string no sights, etc.
then I found my self unable to shoot the bows I loved...
i never did knock a compound bow with sights and cannot understand a bozo thinking that it s ok to hold some fraction of the weight of the bows limbs but not OK to hold none of it.. and it is ok to have a sight on a compound but not on a cross bow...
if they want to start in with that crap they need to just shoot arrows they made themselves with points they knapped themselves and sinew for string and attaching real feathers they harvested and cut themselves.. and shoot it all on a bow they made themselves with no mechanized tools... then they can say they are doing it the real way or the original way.. but to knock others for what bow they choose or how to sight it and to keep them from enjoying the range or the competition but to embrace the fastest most radical compound bow with overdraw etc is the most hypocritical thing going at this time...
and you cannot cure stupid... you can lead by example and hope there is a glimmer of intelligence and reason, but, do not count on it... kinda aggravating to hear about that.. they must be afraid of something.. I wonder what it is.. ??? I find that a compound is just as easy as any crossbow except for having to draw it, until it breaks over and gives you major let off to hold it with.. then it is all equal.. when there are sights, releases, etc. ..
so, maybe the vertical bow clubs should be sued under the americans with disabilities act... for refusing to make reasonable accomodations for those they perceive to have a disabilitiy and those that do have one... I do not like frivolous law suits .. but that would break them of the egg sucking... and quick...
dk

·
Obsessed Huntress
5,583 Posts
Kennisondan
I'll have to post my collection of arrowheads when I get back home. I have quite the collection. I tell you what, I get exactly what you're saying about the stick and string instinctive shooting. That's the only way to go for me when I shoot vertical. Don't need no stinkin' sights! I can shoot a 4 inch gar at 15 yards, so that should tell you how accurate you can be with any piece of archery.

My arm is about to fall off as we've been bow fishing all night the past two nights, getting ready for the Texas State Championship shoot next weekend.
In the past two nights, I probably pulled that bow back 200 times or more!
Only saw 3 alligators Friday night, and one last night. Got some decent film of one last night. I'm scouting for those for next years TPWD gator draw.

·
1,426 Posts
gators taste really good...
I just get aggravated at the guys who use some improvements and knock others for other improvements..
dk

·
Registered
112 Posts
My local club is VERY anti-crossbow as the archery director and treasurer are directors in the (Semi)United Bowhunters of Pennsylvania. They have stated that several injuries have occurred on the property due to crossbow shooting. I do not believe that it has been with any sort of regularity. There are three clubs in my area that allow crossbow at 3D shoots.

I shoot at my local club as it is the most convenient. Part of me wants to be visible because I know the guys mentioned above cannot stand it. There is a broadhead/crossbow target area with targets at 20/30/40 but they are usually pretty beat. I take my own bag target and shoot at the distances that I need.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts