Crossbow Nation banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here we go again. Ordered two sets of A.S. strings and cables for the R10 to replace the set that the serving wore out on. It took 4 1/2 twists from each end to get it to 10 1/2". The cables seem to be fine. no more than 1 twist in any of them to eliminate cam lean and to time. The string is just to damn long. I seen that I am not the only one to have problems with these. Too bad. :(

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You need to call or email Jeremy and tell him about it.
Probably do, but to be honest; I have a hunt in three weeks I need it for. Took that long to get this set of strings from him. I believe I am just done with them. First set wore out with less than 150 shots on it. Now this. Get me once, shame on you. Get me twice>>> you know the saying.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Does gas make standard ravin cables or only their fancy pulley cables? We could really use Marty to learn to make ravin stuff it seems.

·
Registered
624 Posts
Does gas make standard ravin cables or only their fancy pulley cables? We could really use Marty to learn to make ravin stuff it seems.
Ive been talking to Marty about making them but unfortunately he doesnt have any interest in making strings and cables for Ravin bows at this time. He said the cables look to thin and he doesnt want to risk being held liable if a bow breaks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
624 Posts
I had another member message me this evening saying he had the same problem as me and he called AS and they told him that this is the first theyve heard of any problems. I hope he reads this because for some reason i was unable to message him back. I will be letting AS know that im not happy with my string. Hopefully theyll make it right and send me a good one

Robert, i understand your dilemma. My season is still a month away but i need to start shooting and getting things dialed in and these are the only string and cable set i have. I need to find someone to reserve my factory string so i have a backup set.

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
Here we go again. Ordered two sets of A.S. strings and cables for the R10 to replace the set that the serving wore out on. It took 4 1/2 twists from each end to get it to 10 1/2". The cables seem to be fine. no more than 1 twist in any of them to eliminate cam lean and to time. The string is just to damn long. I seen that I am not the only one to have problems with these. Too bad. :(
I spoke with Jeremy tonight and suggested he shorten the string a full 1/8". He assured me they would address this immediately. I agree that 2 twist per side is certainly more desirable than 4 or 4-1/2. I did not discuss the center serving wear issue with him because hunting season is around the corner and they are extremely busy.
But I hope to address this once again with Jeremy later in the year and will probably ask some of you to assist with testing. Nonetheless, as Ravin limbs get more and more powerful, I expect it will be a continuing problem. Who knows, maybe even Jerry's new Kevlar serving might be on the table.
I will also commit to making a video after hunting season on how I reserve the Ravin center serving for those who might be interested in doing it themselves. It takes a grand total of about 15 to 20 mins. to double serve a Ravin string that should last for a couple hundred shots.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Ive been talking to Marty about making them but unfortunately he doesnt have any interest in making strings and cables for Ravin bows at this time. He said the cables look to thin and he doesnt want to risk being held liable if a bow breaks.

I don't know Marty but i have been building strings for 30 yrs. Ask him to look at it like this, when he builds a split yoke cable he has half of the strands in the cable going to each side of the limb which is basically what you have in a ravin cable and as far as the unserved end loop just tie the tag end, it'll hold just fine. String is a lot more durable than alot of people realize.

·
Registered
10,860 Posts
I spoke with Jeremy tonight and suggested he shorten the string a full 1/8". He assured me they would address this immediately. I agree that 2 twist per side is certainly more desirable than 4 or 4-1/2. I did not discuss the center serving wear issue with him because hunting season is around the corner and they are extremely busy.
But I hope to address this once again with Jeremy later in the year and will probably ask some of you to assist with testing. Nonetheless, as Ravin limbs get more and more powerful, I expect it will be a continuing problem. Who knows, maybe even Jerry's new Kevlar serving might be on the table.
I will also commit to making a video after hunting season on how I reserve the Ravin center serving for those who might be interested in doing it themselves. It takes a grand total of about 15 to 20 mins. to double serve a Ravin string that should last for a couple hundred shots.
I had to send my AS string back to be reserved because of premature serving wear also and now my string seems to be lost and Jeremy is trying to find it. I am shooting the original factory string again right now. I hope he can locate my string as I prepaid for the string to be reserved.

·
Registered
31 Posts
We make tons of them! Far more of the standard 4 cable sets than the for the Firenock system. We've sold thousands of Ravin sets and have a bunch of time invested in the development of getting these dialed in. We actually have standard Ravin and R26 sets in stock, in all black.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I had to send my AS string back to be reserved because of premature serving wear also and now my string seems to be lost and Jeremy is trying to find it. I am shooting the original factory string again right now. I hope he can locate my string as I prepaid for the string to be reserved.
For reference, it's rare, but if someone does have center serving separation on a GAS crossbow string, we send them a new string under warranty and then allow them to send the old string back to be reserved as a backup. We wouldn't expect anyone to be without a string.....

·
Registered
31 Posts
I don't know Marty but i have been building strings for 30 yrs. Ask him to look at it like this, when he builds a split yoke cable he has half of the strands in the cable going to each side of the limb which is basically what you have in a ravin cable and as far as the unserved end loop just tie the tag end, it'll hold just fine. String is a lot more durable than alot of people realize.
I can understand why he wouldn't want to get into building Ravin strings. They are a beast. In fact, there are far too many people building ravin strings that have absolutely no business doing so. This is part of the reason you see Ravin being so strict on their warranty policy against aftermarket strings. Unless you have the means to test your product extensively on the Ravin platform, you're really taking a chance building for these xbows. The strings aren't the challenge, but it's not easy to build a 6" cable that is pretensioned and built with stability.

·
Registered
1,909 Posts

Smart move on Marty's part!

·
Registered
624 Posts
I get what your saying but im not going to push him or try to talk him into anything hes uncomfortable doing. If he doesnt feel 100 percent confident in doing them then id rather he didnt and i respect his decision. I will talk to him about doing the reserve on my factory string though.

·
Registered
10,860 Posts
I get what your saying but im not going to push him or try to talk him into anything hes uncomfortable doing. If he doesnt feel 100 percent confident in doing them then id rather he didnt and i respect his decision. I will talk to him about doing the reserve on my factory string though.

He reserved my factory string. No problems there at all.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
For reference, it's rare, but if someone does have center serving separation on a GAS crossbow string, we send them a new string under warranty and then allow them to send the old string back to be reserved as a backup. We wouldn't expect anyone to be without a string.....
I just ordered a set of your strings and cables for my R10. Looking forward to a quality product. Thank you.

Bob

·
Registered
1,909 Posts
We make tons of them! Far more of the standard 4 cable sets than the for the Firenock system. We've sold thousands of Ravin sets and have a bunch of time invested in the development of getting these dialed in. We actually have standard Ravin and R26 sets in stock, in all black.
I have the pulley system cables now thanks to Dorge for the pulleys, Gas for building the strings and cables and Dave at Vital Limits for setting me up with them, getting things here quick and for his expertise.

I must say they look to be a very high quality set. String and cables. The served end loops are the way to go I think. How about recommendations on string and cable care?

·
Registered
2,096 Posts
I have the pulley system cables now thanks to Dorge for the pulleys, Gas for building the strings and cables and Dave at Vital Limits for setting me up with them, getting things here quick and for his expertise.

I must say they look to be a very high quality set. String and cables. The served end loops are the way to go I think. How about recommendations on string and cable care?
Yelpy I’d like to hear your thoughts on that pulley system

·
Registered
1,909 Posts
Ramrod, the pulley system I think is the cats arse. Much better than dealing with the 4 short cables. I installed mine in about 10 min. The end loops are served on the Gas set and make it so much easier to install. I have absolutely zero camo lean. They took out some of the vibration in the bow. I have about 40 shots out of the bow today and not a mm of cable or string stretch. I won't go back to 4 cables unless I absolutely have too. Ravin should get with Dorge and ship em all with the pulley system.

·
Registered
1,909 Posts
I did find out the factory supplied .003 that I cut to 17 1/2" and installed 110 grain inserts are ok to 50 yrds. Beyond 50 there will be some culling involved. Groups open up to about 2 1/2 to 3" at 70yrds from about 1 1/2" at 50. A level is a must beyond 50 yrds if using the factory supplied Ravin scope. Holding level is very critical for accuracy with the multi retical scope.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts