Crossbow Nation banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New to the forum. Never owned a crossbow. I am thinking of getting a Wicked Ridge Invader. My brother got one this year and I was pretty impressed with it. Then one of my hunting buddies ,who shoots a Ravin made a statement that crossbow tech has come so far that I should not consider anything else? What do you say experts?

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
It’s a Ford vs Chevy thing, except that there are more brands! Most guys do their research, buy it, then become fan boys of whatever they bought. I don’t own a Ravin, but they have a strong following. As does Scorpyd, TenPoint (Wicked Ridge), Excalibur, and so and, and so on.

That Wicked Ridge RDX 400 is a solid bow—both of my brothers bought theirs this year and they like ‘em.

Recommend you do a little more reading, try out what you can locally, and eventually call Dave at Wyvern Creations. Tell him your budget and goals and he’ll give you a couple models to consider. Great prices and customer service too.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Relevant??? A bow is just a tool. The hunter is what kills the animal. I own two crossbows. One of which would definitely fall under the heading of old style. Excalibur Phoenix with a peep sight. Accounted for 3 deer this year. Buy and hunt with what suits you best. Don't fall for marketing schemes. Remember, there are folks who still kill deer with trade bows that are lucky to see 175 fps.

·
Registered
3,048 Posts
New to the forum. Never owned a crossbow. I am thinking of getting a Wicked Ridge Invader. My brother got one this year and I was pretty impressed with it. Then one of my hunting buddies ,who shoots a Ravin made a statement that crossbow tech has come so far that I should not consider anything else? What do you say experts?
I think your hunting buddy is about as uneducated as you. Difference being that you dont know and you admit it. He doesn't know either and covers for that fact by attempting to convince you that he is an expert.
He probably knows less about crossbows than I do about biochemistry....But I doubt that even. :D
I really do hate stupid people more and more, as the years go by. Even hearing about stupid people tweaks my gears anymore.

·
Registered
Excalibur Vortex 330, Centerpoint Sniper 370, Centerpoint Patriot 425
16,831 Posts
My advice is pick your price range then see what's available within that. Go look at bows, handle bows, and even shoot bows if that's at all possible. If not, ask a lot of questions here about the bows youre interested in. Try picking out the replies that seems honest and not biased just because somebody owns that particular bow. Check warranties and issues any particular brand may give. "Old school" bows can and do kill deer every year. IMO speeds ait all that important but I'd atleast pick a bow that shoots between 300 and 350 fps. That's plenty fast enough to kill deer out to 40 yards. If youre a speed freak just understand that a lot of the much faster bows do and will give problems. Don't be in a hurry deciding. You have a lot of time to decide so look at EVERYTHING and try picking the bow that suits you the best. And....have fun in your search.:) Good luck!

·
Registered
8,241 Posts
My advice is pick your price range then see what's available within that. Go look at bows, handle bows, and even shoot bows if that's at all possible. If not, ask a lot of questions here about the bows youre interested in. Try picking out the replies that seems honest and not biased just because somebody owns that particular bow. Check warranties and issues any particular brand may give. "Old school" bows can and do kill deer every year. IMO speeds ait all that important but I'd atleast pick a bow that shoots between 300 and 350 fps. That's plenty fast enough to kill deer out to 40 yards. If youre a speed freak just understand that a lot of the much faster bows do and will give problems. Don't be in a hurry deciding. You have a lot of time to decide so look at EVERYTHING and try picking the bow that suits you the best. And....have fun in your search.:) Good luck!
As usual, common sense and logic from you Gabowman. Cool comments for a new guy to Xbow hunting.

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
The Wicked Ridge Invader is a good crossbow and will most definitely get the job done.

·
Registered
1,828 Posts
There are a ton of crossbows to choose from.
North of the border most choot Excals.
Most shops carry Excals...
Reason being they are accurate,easy to maintain and for most of them a hundred dollars will get you a spare set of limbs....
300 fps and up will kill anything most of us hunt right up to moose and elk......
Don't be fooled by the supposed need for speed. With speed comes more issues with servings and timing....
Plus big dollars.
Shoot as many as you can and then make the decision from there. Big money does not always mean a better bow.

·
5,889 Posts
As others have said, the crossbow is a tool. Any bow that's accurate enough and fast enough to get the job done is "relevent." If you think the venison will taste better if you essentially spend over $50/#, then by all means get a really expensive crossbow.

·
14,447 Posts
They all … kill deer... period. There's not a crossbow out there that you couldn't buy today and kill deer with it for the next decade. Including any of the Wicked Ridge crossbows which are made by Ten Point. Probably the most renown manufacturer in the business. Much of what you read on these forums is from VERY experienced crossbowers who are arguing the nuances of super high end equipment. Arguing Ferrari vs Lamborghini vs Maserati; when in reality 99% of the population is driving Ford, GM, Toyota, etc. BUT, being so experienced, they can give you great advice. Point being: "don't get sucked into a debate with a crossbow snob; and don't let him influence your purchase." Fohgettaboutem completely. Start from scratch, do your research, buy what fits your own personal buying profile, and go kill bigger, better and more deer than the other guy with it. :);) Never forget: "It's the Indian, NOT the arrow." :D

·
Registered
64 Posts
I say get a used invader and have fun hunting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
461 Posts
My first crossbow was a low end Excalibur. Fairly loud, fairly slow, very wide limbs and just a so-so trigger. I knew I could do a lot better. It held it's value incredibly well - didn't loose much when I sold it.

When I realized that Wicked Ridge was made by Ten Point, I couldn't help but think how cool it was that a top manufacturer made an 'economy' line of crossbows.

The research I did, led me to a Wicked Ridge Invader. Arrow speeds go up a little every year. My Invader is a G3, so around 325 fps and probably about average for limb width, overall weight and noise, but with a very good trigger. I have no complaints with it.

The world we live in is so focused on getting us to buy the latest & greatest - I admit I do give some thought to my next crossbow.

I would probably buy another Wicked Ridge - they have even more to choose from now. I'm just in no hurry, since I really have no need to replace what I have - want maybe, but no need.

Another great thing about this forum, is that practically every crossbow made is reviewed by somebody, here. Lots of good ones out there.

The biggest turn offs for me are excessive weight, crappy trigger and limb width. Getting through any portion of the woods that is fairly thick, is NOT where a crossbow shines.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.