Crossbow Nation banner
1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I pose this question after looking at the ravin r500 and TP nitro 505. This is blazing fast but I question if the other technologies in arrows is to a standard that can consistently produce 1-2" groups with broadheads at normal deer hunting distances. Seems like the speed craze continues but I think we are moving away from the sweet spot of fps where one could take a fixed or mechanical head and achieve accurate and consistent flight. Interested to hear others thoughts on speed.

·
14,044 Posts
There is no ... "sweet spot." :) Like most technology there's always progress and improvement. I've only been involved with crossbows for about a decade and the sweet spot has probably increased a hundred FPS since then. :unsure:

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
Traditional crossbow technology is now beyond its reach in terms of realistic duration. There is already evidence of that when the uncertainty factors increase when the speed is increased... I would think that the speed madness is already at its peak if compressed air devices are not replaced by limbs
I hope you understand what I mean 🤔

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
There is no ... "sweet spot." :) Like most technology there's always progress and improvement. I've only been involved with crossbows for about a decade and the sweet spot has probably increased a hundred FPS since then. :unsure:
Then the sweet spot is currently around 400 fps (with fast crossbows) 😀 Do I agree with that?

·
SE VA
14,077 Posts
10 years ago I determined MY crossbow sweet spot was around 350 fps. That has not changed and likely won’t. There are numerous reasons for that and I’m not going to list them again. If I get to the point I can’t kill deer with super reliable crossbows in that speed range, I’ll reconsider. Don’t see that happening.

·
Registered
511 Posts
No, I am not ready for 500 fps. From the hunting perspective, it seems my next move is obvious to me. Put the oracle x on the viper move the Evo x to backup bow.

Arrow weight is 475. Evo x center punch 20 rage hypodermic 2.0 no collar 125.

My mind is not on speed or 500fps. It is on accuracy the simplicity of rope cocking, and lightweight. I will take lightweight over heavy and fast. Ain't nobody lugging an R500 thru these woods. To from treestand maybe. Private here is different. You can use your truck as a blind, shoot out the window as far as I know is legal here. Maybe they sell an R500 window mount.

·
Registered
511 Posts
My sweet spot would be 400 fps with a 500 grain arrow. At the moment it doesn't seem very realistic (from my point of view) that I could get it without problems 🤔 You can build crossbows that produce "high speeds" over 500 fps but who can build it so that it's reliable??? I haven't seen them yet...
Agree 100 percent

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
I was always happy when the "sweet spot" was around 180-200fps. The one part I don't understand after you buy one of these super stringed powerplants? It's almost a given that you will need to buy ultra-tuned arrows to extract everything that the bow has to offer. Then, top those ultra-expensive arrows off with some cryogenically tempered monobloc cutting design broadhead. Why would you want to now bury those arrows deeper and deeper in the dirt and rocks with more useless horsepower? Everyone needs a hobby, I guess?

·
Registered
278 Posts
I've wondered and it may be a dumb question. If it goes through the deer that fast is it possible that the arrow and broadhead do less damage? Possible that the broadheads don't even get a chance to open properly. When you shoot a deer with a speedbow maybe it's me but almost always hardly any blood on the arrow?

·
Registered
511 Posts
I've wondered and it may be a dumb question. If it goes through the deer that fast is it possible that the arrow and broadhead do less damage? Possible that the broadheads don't even get a chance to open properly. When you shoot a deer with a speedbow maybe it's me but almost always hardly any blood on the arrow?
I knew I should have taken a picture of the wound channel. Got rid of the carcass. Will take a picture of the next one. And the arrow / rage broad head look like new (found it today).

Needless to say, you should worry about something else. No way life is compatible with that wound channel. Will see on bigger deer, but the KE is astounding. Mortal wound when delivered to the boiler room. Double lung. Last one was small lungs were about half mush. Rage hypodermic 2.0 125. Impressive.

·
Registered
511 Posts
I was always happy when the "sweet spot" was around 180-200fps. The one part I don't understand after you buy one of these super stringed powerplants? It's almost a given that you will need to buy ultra-tuned arrows to extract everything that the bow has to offer. Then, top those ultra-expensive arrows off with some cryogenically tempered monobloc cutting design broadhead. Why would you want to now bury those arrows deeper and deeper in the dirt and rocks with more useless horsepower? Everyone needs a hobby, I guess?
When I found my kill shot arrow today it was in the ground, just a couple inches. I posted pictures of the small deer taken. I definitely did not experience what you posted.

I have read many of your posts and have learned several things from you. No disrespect intended.

Tenpoint viper S400 tenpoint Evo x center punch 20 inch Rage 2.0 125 mechanical is my setup.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
10 years ago I determined MY crossbow sweet spot was around 350 fps. That has not changed and likely won’t. There are numerous reasons for that and I’m not going to list them again. If I get to the point I can’t kill deer with super reliable crossbows in that speed range, I’ll reconsider. Don’t see that happening.
I 100% agree for a ton of reasons. I dont think 400+ is realistic for me and my desire to shoot a multitude of different heads with consistent results

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
Not possible. Kinda like rifle bullets, the faster the bullet the more rapid and violent the expansion is.

·
Premium Member
5,947 Posts
Not possible. Kinda like rifle bullets, the faster the bullet the more rapid and violent the expansion is.
Yep! I learned that lesson a few years back. I shot a doe at about 50 yards in the woods with my 270 WSM. It dropped like a bad of rocks, but ruined both shoulders in the process. Now I use a 350 Legend for my woods hunting.

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
Yep! I learned that lesson a few years back. I shot a doe at about 50 yards in the woods with my 270 WSM. It dropped like a bad of rocks, but ruined both shoulders in the process. Now I use a 350 Legend for my woods hunting.
I learned a similar lesson with a .264 win mag. I went back to the old tried and true .30-30

1 - 20 of 64 Posts