Crossbow Nation banner
21 - 40 of 64 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,941 Posts
I THOUGHT I wanted a speed demon and actually bought one, but have since slowed her down. I let the string/cables out some and went with heavier arrows. I'd like for it to last and parts are very scarce for my bows .

Another plus is it sure is smooth at the shot now!

·
Registered
3,766 Posts
As long as crossbows can be mechanically drawn, there is really no limit on speed. It can inch up 10-20 fps per year. New materials for limbs and strings will be developed to handle it. Vertical bows have topped out in terms of speed because it's person dependent to generate it, not mechanical.
Do I want to buy or spend thousands of $$$ for it? Nope.
A 500 gr arrow going 380 fps, with the proper broadhead, can kill ANY animal that walks the earth at average bowhunting distances ( up to 40 yds). A faster bow serves only one purpose. Eliminate human error judging distance. But, isn't that what the $2500 scope is for? :p

·
Registered
17,581 Posts
Yep! I learned that lesson a few years back. I shot a doe at about 50 yards in the woods with my 270 WSM. It dropped like a bad of rocks, but ruined both shoulders in the process. Now I use a 350 Legend for my woods hunting.
I shot 2 deer in a row with a brand new Win M70 back in the early 80s and shoulder shot both and the offside on both looked like a small explosion had taken place. Both shoulders were trashed. I still own that rifle but have never carried it hunting again. It has been a loner rifle ever since and has killed a lot of deer.
I use an identical M70 in .308. :)

·
Registered
Excalibur Micro 355 Suppressor
336 Posts
After all of the debate about speed, the obvious question is: :unsure:

How fast is too fast BEFORE most DNR's step in and say, "enough is enough"? It's NO LONGER Archery equipment!!

Manufactures know" speed sells". It also kills. Look at what Roy Weatherby did for rifles. However, in the case of crossbows I firmly believe the "other side" will one day pitch such a fit, that they, (crossbows) will once more be regulated to "Rifle Season" only.
We see guys shooting 100 yards. I personally think it's bad publicity to see this. Why? Cause it gives fuel to some folks and some States, who don't like crossbows in "Archery Season". And yes, we know that are out there, so, why give them ammo?
I believe that New York State already has poundage laws in place. What's to stop speed laws?

We fought the "not true archery equipment fight" here in Texas. It was along, mean-spirited fight. And some folks STILL have hurt feelings.

I'd hate to see this Nationwide. And I for one think the "super speed stuff" is gonna come back and bite us all in the ...

Just the ramblings of an old man in Texas.

And I am NOT here to hurt any feelings!!:cool:

·
Premium Member
5,941 Posts
I shot 2 deer in a row with a brand new Win M70 back in the early 80s and shoulder shot both and the offside on both looked like a small explosion had taken place. Both shoulders were trashed. I still own that rifle but have never carried it hunting again. It has been a loner rifle ever since and has killed a lot of deer.
I use an identical M70 in .308. :)
Yep, the far leg was just hanging by a little bit of skin. Pretty much blew it off! I won't try that again close range. The only plus is the deer was dead before it hit the ground, no tracking!

Reactions: robertyb

·
Registered
508 Posts

How fast is too fast BEFORE most DNR's step in and say, "enough is enough"? It's NO LONGER Archery equipment!!

Manufactures know" speed sells". It also kills. Look at what Roy Weatherby did for rifles. However, in the case of crossbows I firmly believe the "other side" will one day pitch such a fit, that they, (crossbows) will once more be regulated to "Rifle Season" only.
We see guys shooting 100 yards. I personally think it's bad publicity to see this. Why? Cause it gives fuel to some folks and some States, who don't like crossbows in "Archery Season". And yes, we know that are out there, so, why give them ammo?
I believe that New York State already has poundage laws in place. What's to stop speed laws?

We fought the "not true archery equipment fight" here in Texas. It was along, mean-spirited fight. And some folks STILL have hurt feelings.

I'd hate to see this Nationwide. And I for one think the "super speed stuff" is gonna come back and bite us all in the ...

As far as I know those air guns that shoot arrows are legal here looked at one for kicks a while back. 625 fps?

·
Registered
1,732 Posts
Nice set, but it requires maintenance skill or money to maintain it, but I know that it will probably work for you when you still have an A1 class crossbow. Good luck on your journey 👍
Thanks! Yes, I had a Ravin press when I had Ravin's, but sold all of that stuff. Luckily, there is a TenPoint dealer 3 miles down the road from me. I know the bow tech there, and he does a good job. I could work on them, but I don't have a press.

·
Registered
RDX 400, Nitro 505 w/Oracle X
107 Posts
Some guys like fast (500+) crossbows. Some guys like big trucks. Others like fast cars, motorcycles, boats, airplanes, etc. It’s hard to justify any of those decisions to someone with a different preference. You can kill a deer with a rock, or a spear, or a long bow/slow/fast crossbow. There is a price for any of the above.

·
TenPoint Siege, TenPoint Eclipse
848 Posts
If I could go back from my "hot limb Siege" to a crossbow that shot a fixed blade broadhead/arrow combination weighing 475gr at 380fps accurately out to 50 yards I would likely make the switch, knowing what I know now.

·
Registered
16,316 Posts
500 fps might be for you guys but not me. I'm much more conservative in thinking I'm much safer without problems shooting alot slower bows. I'm much more comfortable @ 360 fps and less. I did purchase a CP 425 so we'll see if it holds up to just a little target practice and hunting. I'm shooting an arrows that weighs @ 455 grs out of it.....same as my other two bows.

·
Registered
Excalibur Micro Suppressor
87 Posts
For me, there is no need for 500+ speed. AND, I am not going to shoot at anything over 40 yards away. My Excalibur Suppressor, gets me realistically--in the 340 range. The other day I shot a doe that was between 25-30 yards away. She was dead before she heard the twang. She ran maybe 45 yards. She left me a nice blood trail to follow. Why would I spend $2500-$3000 for the same results. Again, regardless of speed, I am not going to shoot at anything beyond 40 yards. I seriously doubt I will ever own a crossbow that hits 400. But again, that is me, and to each their own. Once the speeds start hitting 600+, you are going to see a whole lot of restrictions from the government. It would not surprise me if they didn't list crossbows under the ATF at that point. Watch. You will see. Just a matter of time.

·
14,039 Posts

I've been ... reading this DNR argument for a decade. They didn't step in at 400fps, haven't stepped in at 500fps and likely never will. Just like black powder rifles. They started as early season flintlocks and Hawkens replicas. They now shoot as far and as precise as long-range centerfire rifles and there's no uprising of DNRs against them. So let's look at this logically:

Let's say they DO step in. What will they do? And how many will do it? All 50 states? Whole countries? IF they put a cap on speed where would it be? Ban 500fps bows with thousands sold already? Roll it back to 400fps and create a tsunami of pissed off buyers and an uproar of lawsuits? The farther the rollback the more shooters effected and mobilized. DNR's lifeblood is shooters! Or cap speed at 550fps or some greater arbitrary speed to prevent further progress without mobilizing pushback??

None of it makes sense. A 350fps crossbow could pass through 3 deer standing side by side. So what difference does it make to the DNR if the bow is 350fps or 650fps when you have massive overkill even at 350fps??? There is no safety argument like the stupidity that surrounds rifle vs slug-gun. A 650fps crossbow is no more dangerous to the public than a 350fps bow. And let's not forget the power of the billions of dollars the manufacturers and all the ancillary suppliers and dealers and accessory providers have in this theoretical argument. All of this revenue keeps flowing by convincing the buyers they need a new crossbow, and speed is the primary catalyst for keeping the money train on the tracks.

Bottom line is you'll never see a "speed limit" imposed on crossbows. It makes no sense on too many levels.

·
Registered
51 Posts
The first time at the gun range a couple weeks ago, my R500 was grouping way better at 81 yards then my Solution LS390 does at 50. Amazingly consistent. I was impressed with my 390 when I got it too. So, go figure.

Of course, I got the R500 for several reasons, better safety, total width is awesome, speed, smaller total package. When they are even smaller, lighter, and faster, IF I HAVE the cash, I'm all in.

·
Registered
4,288 Posts
Yep! I learned that lesson a few years back. I shot a doe at about 50 yards in the woods with my 270 WSM. It dropped like a bad of rocks, but ruined both shoulders in the process. Now I use a 350 Legend for my woods hunting.
I stay clear of shoulder shots if using any rifle when possible.

A fast hard bullet does less damage at close range. You can still use you 270 WSM just have to choose the right bullet for the closer shots.

·
Registered
7,215 Posts
500 fps is pushing the limits on arrows, targets and strings for sure. Especially with the hyper narrow xbows and their severe string angles. Will there be "catch-up" over the next few years? Probably as history has shown but also look at the cost of the ticket to join the 500 club today. It's unrealistic for the general public.

Today I'm happy with speeds in the upper 300s and anything over 400 is icing on the cake. Carbon arrows will work well for quite some time with those speeds and targets will as well, especially if you hang them. Strings and cable life is pretty reasonable as well.

Pass throughs are 370 or 400 fps are pretty devastating. Not sure there's any data that says the same hit at 500 fps produces a more ethical kill.

I really wish more time was spent across the industry on safety features and durability science.

21 - 40 of 64 Posts