Crossbow Nation banner
41 - 60 of 64 Posts

Registered
Excalibur Micro 355 Suppressor
The DNR's don't mind the speed, it's the guys who are "Die Hard" Vertical purist that I hear complain the loudest!
Texas already has several counties that DO NOT allow crossbows of any kind during "Archery Season".
Also, if you look at the post about what certain States allow or do not allow concerning crossbows, you will see, open arm acceptances Nationwide is NOT on our side. :cautious:

In a lot of "Archery Circles" crossbow hunters are perceived as some type of "interloper". Not "real" archery people. TPWD had wildlife biologist conduct a 3-year study just to allow crossbows during archery season.
As I stated before, the State of New York has a draw poundage restriction. IF you bow is over "x" number of pounds in draw weight, it is not allowed. Your crank may require only 12 pounds to turn, but what is the "true draw weight" of your bow. You might be found in violation of the law if someone checks. And trust me, someone will check!

The "Vertical guys" have all the backing in the world. Companies by the dozens cater to them, whereas crossbows only have a handful. And what's the old adage? "The Squeaky Wheel Gets the Grease"!!!
Just saying...

Don't get me wrong. I like speed. One of my favorite rifles is a custom built 7mm STW. But I haven't shot anything with it in over 20 years. It just takes up space in my safe like all the others. It's no fun to shoot a deer at 800 yards. 馃ぃ It's no challenge.

Registered
I can see where things can be taken too far sometimes in the hunting industry.

I know guys who spend more time looking at cellular trail camera pics than they do hunting, & this is not an exaggeration. I just bring this up as an example of where technology can reach a point where some states begin to react for other reasons, too.

Quote: "Nevada and Arizona are the only states that have a full ban on the use of any trail cameras for hunting purposes. Montana, Utah, Kansas, New Hampshire and Alaska have partial bans, prohibiting the use of wireless or cellular cameras during the season." Feb 13, 2022

I am not expressing my opinion on this, but at some point a line does need to be drawn on some things. For example, we can't shine for deer past 10 pm during the hunting season. We have lived with that law for as long as I can remember. I have no problem with laws like that.

Using a longbow or a Ravin R500E is a personal choice. I appreciate having the freedom to choose.

Registered
I can see where things can be taken too far sometimes in the hunting industry.

I know guys who spend more time looking at cellular trail camera pics than they do hunting, & this is not an exaggeration. I just bring this up as an example of where technology can reach a point where some states begin to react for other reasons, too.

Quote: "Nevada and Arizona are the only states that have a full ban on the use of any trail cameras for hunting purposes. Montana, Utah, Kansas, New Hampshire and Alaska have partial bans, prohibiting the use of wireless or cellular cameras during the season." Feb 13, 2022

I am not expressing my opinion on this, but at some point a line does need to be drawn on some things. For example, we can't shine for deer past 10 pm during the hunting season. We have lived with that law for as long as I can remember. I have no problem with laws like that.

Using a longbow or a Ravin R500E is a personal choice. I appreciate having the freedom to choose.
Where do you live where spotlighting deer is legal?

Registered
Where do you live where spotlighting deer is legal?
From September 15 to December 31 (during hunting season) shining is only allowed from sundown to 10 pm.

Taken from -

Registered
[QUOTE="AJ01, post: 1626743, member: 37414"
Don't get me wrong. I like speed. One of my favorite rifles is a custom built 7mm STW. But I haven't shot anything with it in over 20 years. It just takes up space in my safe like all the others. It's no fun to shoot a deer at 800 yards. 馃ぃ It's no challenge.
[/QUOTE]

A traditional archery guy may say that to the compound bow guy. A compound bow guy may say that to the crossbow guy. A crossbow guy may say that to the gun hunter.

I would put money on me hitting a deer at 25 yards with archery equipment. You could hand me the best made rifle in the world, & I would not wager on me hitting anything @ 800 yards! :)

I get your point. I just think there's room in the woods for everyone.

A traditional archery guy may judge the compound guy. A compound guy may judge the crossbow guy. A crossbow guy may judge a gun guy. I say who cares? Those who are judging are the ones with the problem.

Crossbows are here to stay. As far as restrictions go, that's a part of everything. Since we probably don't want guys hunting deer with extremely low poundage bows & field points, restrictions on such things exist. Thus, having restrictions on both ends of the spectrum wouldn't bother me.

I tend to agree with Duke if the DNR or states were going to step in they surly would have by now.

Anti crossbow guys would be against them if we all shot the old Vixens. That you can take to the bank.

Inclusion might find the hill steeper because of faster and faster bows and aiming points out to 100 yds in scopes. Your next rifle and sub1 don鈥檛 help either.

But it seems the crossbow marches on. So personally I鈥檓 just not worried about it. Imo it鈥檚 up to you if you like it great if you don鈥檛 that鈥檚 fine too.

Registered
The DNR's don't mind the speed, it's the guys who are "Die Hard" Vertical purist that I hear complain the loudest!
Texas already has several counties that DO NOT allow crossbows of any kind during "Archery Season".
Also, if you look at the post about what certain States allow or do not allow concerning crossbows, you will see, open arm acceptances Nationwide is NOT on our side. :cautious:

In a lot of "Archery Circles" crossbow hunters are perceived as some type of "interloper". Not "real" archery people. TPWD had wildlife biologist conduct a 3-year study just to allow crossbows during archery season.
As I stated before, the State of New York has a draw poundage restriction. IF you bow is over "x" number of pounds in draw weight, it is not allowed. Your crank may require only 12 pounds to turn, but what is the "true draw weight" of your bow. You might be found in violation of the law if someone checks. And trust me, someone will check!

The "Vertical guys" have all the backing in the world. Companies by the dozens cater to them, whereas crossbows only have a handful. And what's the old adage? "The Squeaky Wheel Gets the Grease"!!!
Just saying...

Just a point on Dukes comment. I hunt in one of these Texas counties and the "Archery-Only" season starts 10/1 and goes to 11/4. Then a "General" season opens 11/5 where crossbows are allowed through 1/1/23, the end of the deer season. These counties are also "Archery only" so there is no gun hunting for deer allowed. I've attended a few of the TPWD meetings this year where TPWD has proposed inclusion of crossbows in the archery season, which I would expect to be adopted at some point.
  • Crossbows are lawful for any person during the Archery-Only Open Season except in Collin, Dallas, Grayson, and Rockwall counties, where no person may use a crossbow to hunt deer during the Archery-Only Open Season unless the person has an upper-limb disability and has in immediate possession a physician鈥檚 statement that certifies the extent of the disability.

Premium Member
I stay clear of shoulder shots if using any rifle when possible.

A fast hard bullet does less damage at close range. You can still use you 270 WSM just have to choose the right bullet for the closer shots.
In my defense, it was a quick freehand shot,lol. Dense woods and it stepped into a clear patch. I wasn't aiming for the shoulder, just worked out that way.

My rifle loves the 140 gr Accubonds, but your right, not a close range bullet. My 350 Legend is my go to now and a heck of a lot cheaper to shoot!

Reactions: Yelpy

Registered
if you know what your doing...you can can keep a 440 f.ps. bow shooting perfectly for a long time.

Registered
Ain鈥檛 it funny how we always want to draw the line just beyond where WE are standing.
I remember back in the early 80鈥檚 when I thought mechanical releases for vertical bows should be banned and using a crossbow was flat out 鈥渃heating鈥 and unethical.
Hunter鈥檚 need to unite for the greater cause of all types of hunting or divided we will slowly find our privileges eroded or lost.

Retired
As far as I know those air guns that shoot arrows are legal here looked at one for kicks a while back. 625 fps?
There is a huge difference in an airgun shooting 625fps and a crossbow shooting 625 fps

An airbow pushes the arrow by letting the pressure loose directly behind the point so there is zero paradox. An airbow could very likely shoot a 400 or 500 spine arrow

Arrows would have to be 3x maybe even 4x stiffer than they are now to withstand the force.

Currently the R500 and tenpoint 505 are having accuracy issues unless they are tamed down to about 480 fps

Frankly I would live to see this foolishness stop bows should be limited to no more than 480fps

Xbow made to last longer,with less problems is not a money maker for the oem....look at vehicle's. They make more off of servicing them than the sale price. 馃が
I recently bought ... A Sitka "Insect Guard" hoodie for early season. (works great by the way) In the literature they state the process (whatever is keeping the insects from biting you) is good for 70 washings "which is the life expectancy of the garment." Their candidness kinda shocked me a little. Your point is well taken. Manufacturers aren't stupid. They know the "life expectancy" of your crossbow the same as the military knows the life of an F111 airframe, the Nimitz class aircraft carriers, or an M16 gun barrel. :)

Reactions: AJ01

Registered
Excalibur Micro 355 Suppressor
Just a point on Dukes comment. I hunt in one of these Texas counties and the "Archery-Only" season starts 10/1 and goes to 11/4. Then a "General" season opens 11/5 where crossbows are allowed through 1/1/23, the end of the deer season. These counties are also "Archery only" so there is no gun hunting for deer allowed. I've attended a few of the TPWD meetings this year where TPWD has proposed inclusion of crossbows in the archery season, which I would expect to be adopted at some point.
  • Crossbows are lawful for any person during the Archery-Only Open Season except in Collin, Dallas, Grayson, and Rockwall counties, where no person may use a crossbow to hunt deer during the Archery-Only Open Season unless the person has an upper-limb disability and has in immediate possession a physician鈥檚 statement that certifies the extent of the disability.
I reckon you saw where the proposal to amend to allow crossbows in the regular archery season was voted down. It's still verticals only. Tells ya who has the most "stroke", don't it!!

And Tx...if you're hunting Grayson!! Hope ya stab a Good One!! (y)

Ain鈥檛 it funny how we always want to draw the line just beyond where WE are standing.
I remember back in the early 80鈥檚 when I thought mechanical releases for vertical bows should be banned and using a crossbow was flat out 鈥渃heating鈥 and unethical.
Hunter鈥檚 need to unite for the greater cause of all types of hunting or divided we will slowly find our privileges eroded or lost.
LOL ... yeah, like anything else the buck stops where we're standing. 馃槀

Registered
Sonoran Desert Arizona.
Thats so true. At least (most) of them are smart enough to not draw it behind them.

Thats so true. At least (most) of them are smart enough to not draw it behind them.
Unless it's gun control ... in the commie liberal blue zones. They constantly "ban" what millions already own. Magazine capacity being the prime case in point.

Registered
Idk.....my feeling is the faster you go the more you got to have your chit together.
I would also never go this route if not being able to do all the maintance yourself.
When using fast bows....good enough or it looks right will never cut it.

You also can not expect to cycle a speed bow 100 shots per week for 12 weeks of the season.
I would not be to interested in that anyway.
If i can get a 500 f.p.s bow sighted in with broad heads and a few practice sessions prior to hunting season and the bow hold its p.o.i then i would be satisficed.

as far as the DNR stepping in...never happen. The air bow and arrow guns are on the docket every year with lots of support. Each year this gets rejected here in Michigan or it may have went through this year not sure...?
Make no mistake its coming and then a 600 f.p,s crossbow will be a long bow.
The line in the sand was removed long ago when crossbows became legal.

Now one has to except waht ever the times bring, sad as it is.
Michigan is a huge for profit hunting state, so they will likely be one of the first ones to adapt.

Reactions: [email protected]
41 - 60 of 64 Posts