Crossbow Nation banner

Are you boys ready???

4K views 59 replies 27 participants last post by  Regohio 
#1 ·
Plant Grass Tints and shades Sports equipment Net
Musical instrument Sports equipment Automotive tire Road surface Asphalt
Rectangle Plant Font Grassland Groundcover
Well this morning I ducked out on my chores and set up a target out back. The goal of this effort was to decide which of my two bows was getting the Varsity Letter and which would be a Great backup on Junior Varsity. Basically it was Eleanor (R 26) vs Little Fatty (Sub 1 XR).

I shot for and hour battling occasional winds but only shot to 40 yds. Anyone who knows me probably is aware Eleanor isn’t going anywhere. That little girl is perfect in a tree stand and shoots lights out!

So Little Fatty was fighting for her literal life. Well I can’t lie The Little Chubster outshot my Prom Date by a slim margin. Not to mention she was quieter with much calmer shot. But here is what blew me away. I decided to try Grim Reaper WS Pros 125 grs on the Sub 1 XR. So today I started at 20 yds and if there was a difference between head and field point I couldn’t get it to repeat to change maybe 1/4 inch lower but not certain. I shot at 30 yds same thing so I took it to 40 yds using Wyvern Dragon Arrow and shot the practice head 3 times at 40 not only did I hit exact spot I hit exact hole 3 times! No bow shoots that good with broadheads for me. I always just sight in the broadhead and shoot practice tips knowing they are a little off to stay proficient

I was actually afraid to put both bow cases next to each other because I’m pretty sure Eleanor would try to whip Little Fatty if given the chance!

I guess I gotta keep them both…now to decide which girl is in tree on 25 Sept 21????

See less See more
#3 ·
Nice Shooting! I suspect the R26 is going to make the prom date in the tree stand. I have been going back and forth between the 29X and the Twin Strike and I think the 29x is the one. it is such a nice size. I was messing around with a 420TD with the Garmin Xero too. I just think the Garmin has too many steps for me to effectively deploy on a shot at a deer. Yes one push of the button might be something I forget to do in the heat of the moment.

Good luck out there Todd!

#9 ·
I helped a friend sight in his R26 yesterday afternoon, it was brand new. We had a time getting it sighted in with the factory Ravin Scope. We finally got it good out to 40 with broad heads, that’s a finicky little bow. Anyways his center serving that goes around the sliding trigger box is already almost wore through just sighting it in. Very discouraged as I have thought about buying one of these. We were using the factory arrows. It just was super finicky off a shooting pod, if it was the least bit canted one way or the other man it would throw the arrow way left or right at 40 yards. I don’t know if it’s just his or if anyone else has had any issues? Is yours accurate as your XR @Regohio? Or is it a bit more unforgiving?

#10 ·
Well to be honest I’ve had a new R 26 every year since 2019 but have never used the factory scope and mounts. The first year I started with Factory arrows and then moved to Spynal Tapps and never looked back.

the first year I would say I struggled a little with left and right but I think that was going from say a 15 inch wide bow to a 53/4 inch wide R26…plus going to better arrows?

as far as the strings and cables I agree the factory ones are hit and miss as I’m told due to Covid there are different companies helping keep them in strings and cables. I have found Eric Griggs Gas strings to be excellent!

Don’t give up on that bow. I bet after he gets used to it your buddy will love it! Have a great season Brother!

#12 ·
Oh as accurate as XR. I honestly can’t say it is but it is awful close. That XR feels so solid at the shot and will stack arrows wherever you want.

I had the Xr on my Carbon Death Grip this morning and firing same arrow with GR 125 on it and put arrow in exact same hole 3 times. I doubt I could do that with my hunting rifles.

that XR isn’t as sexy as Eleanor but it sure can shoot!

#19 ·
With the new scopes today if you see a scope with the main crosshair at any distance other than 20 yards then you really need to read the manual cause they do nor all sight in the same anymore.
Yeah I just assumed it was the same as like a Hawke XB1 I sighted it in dead on at 20 adjusted speed ring at 30 and it’s good to go.

#22 ·
Not yet, i have to rent a place here wait 30 days, to get a Res. Lic. for Ky. So i am going to get a very late start on tick toter hunting. Plus i have to find an area to hunt in, as i have no land

Reactions: Regohio
#24 ·
Not as close as you are Reg but I'll get there in the next week or so. I did some work at the ranch this past week and just need to equip the ground blinds and get the soft seats hung in the tree stands. I did shoot the XRT a little yesterday and will continue that this coming week. I think the speed is down a bit so I need to check that, adjust if needed and then it's a matter of fine tuning the sight. The Havoc is good to go.

Do me a favor and send me some rain and those 50s to 70s temperatures your about to start getting.
Head Eyebrow Smile Jaw Headgear

#26 ·
Got the Vent 175, R29 and Silver 150 ready to go for the nephew.

Won't be a week or 2 until I get the Aculeus, Tremor and R26 ready. Deciding on a scope for the Aculeus yet. Last minute decision to just hang onto it. Probably just pic up a Ravin scope for now. They are just as good as the Hawke scopes just a different reticle.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.