Crossbow Nation banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I thought I'd start a thread on the Budget brand of Crossbow that I own. I'm not sure if it is a brand only available in the UK or whether it is available in the USA as well.

Armex do several models, of which all but two are Recurve. The Prods appear to be made of some sort of GRP and are actually quite substantial. While not of the highest quality they are well made for the price.

The model I personally own is called the Lynx (Or Red Hawk, depending where you buy it) , with a claimed draw weight of 150Ib it's man enough for some decent ranges I think, although I have only set mine up for a 25 yard target I think it could achieve double that with little effort (Although a lot more skill on my part would be needed)

The foregrip and stock are wood, possibly pine stained to look like a more expensive wood but are up to the job required of them. The body of the CB is made of an indeterminate metal which is I believe aluminium, in any case it is non magnetic.

As a beginners crossbow for those on a budget I can recommend the Armex brand, accessories can be hard to find but in honesty I don't think that they are needed if you are just starting out

·
1,223 Posts
Hey 6 -

Yes...there are many of the mostly Barnett knock-offs available in the US.
Most are Chinese, some Korean, Japanese. Some designs don't appear to be a direct knock-off of of anyones bows....just made in another country.

Because of the general, basic design of a crossbow, I'd guess they are probably fairly accurate.
My big question would be prod longevity, trigger detail materials, and actual trigger pull feel. If the materials used are more toward the inferior, these may/can fail...possibly hurting the shooter or a bystander. Or if the trigger pull is long and gritty...it can/will put the shooters mind on the trigger more than the target.

As you say, the price is hard to beat, especially for the ocasional target/fun shooter.

Have fun with it.

Mike

·
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Actually Mike I think that is the reason I chose this model. It looks just like a Barnet only with out the price tag.

The quality is good, not great or top of the range but just good. I'm sure with a few minor modifications it could be improved a great deal, but unfortunately crossbows aren't really popular over hear and with no one in the local area who has any experience with them I am basically going to have to 'teach' myself on what is good and what isn't and then learn how to modify it.

·
115 Posts
I have been using a 180# import that doesn't look like any name brand. I have modified it in several ways, and it shoots great. I would love to have a Predator, or an Excal, but till I get some kind of financial windfall, I keep on shooting with the one I have. It basically is a Draw Eagle 180.

·
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'd be interested to hear what modifications you have done to your CB Wally, they may be of some to use me.
Send me a PM if you like or simply post them here.

·
115 Posts
66606 said:
I'd be interested to hear what modifications you have done to your CB Wally, they may be of some to use me.
Send me a PM if you like or simply post them here.
I have not been feeling really well, and have been slightly depressed, but will write them all down and post them here soon.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I have the "Cheetah", only bought it this week, pre-owned and not done a lot of work.
I can't say that I am that impressed with the overall build quality and I have started to strip it down to see just how good or bad they are.
I only paid 100 for the bow, site, quiver, six bolts, wax and a carry case so I don't mind it as a starter. I can't say I'd be too happy if I'd been the original owner who paid 300+ for the rig though;)

When I have checked it through, which is the best way to re string the bow? I think I may fit a new one in the process:)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts