Crossbow Nation banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,128 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello arrow gurus out there.

I am looking to improve my target shooting.
I am wondering, with today's ultra-high-speed xbows, if arrows can lose their straightness from all of the repetitive pounding into the target over and over again?

I find some arrow Manufacturer's shafts feel stiffer than others.
I think BEEs were the stiffest I have run across so far.
What the acronym BEE stands for, I can't remember this early in the morning but it is on the tip of my tongue.
Bloodsport Executioners or something like that?

I would think that for target shooting, the stiffest shaft possible would be best for accuracy and repeatability, correct?

I have found that even with 0.001" straightness arrows, out of a pack of six, there will be one or two arrows that does not group as well with the other 4 or 5.
By themselves, the arrows can be fine but in a group, culling is required, from my experience anyway.

In your opinions, which brands are best known for excellent accuracy/repeatability for target shooting at 400 fps and higher?
Yes, I realize the shooter has a lot to do with accuracy as well, of course, but I would like to try some arrows that don't require me to spend so much time testing/culling.

All feedback welcome and appreciated.

·
Registered
322 Posts

I am wondering, with today's ultra-high-speed xbows, if arrows can lose their straightness from all of the repetitive pounding into the target over and over again?

What the acronym BEE stands for, I can't remember this early in the morning but it is on the tip of my tongue.

I would think that for target shooting, the stiffest shaft possible would be best for accuracy and repeatability, correct?

I have found that even with 0.001" straightness arrows, out of a pack of six, there will be one or two arrows that does not group as well with the other 4 or 5.
By themselves, the arrows can be fine but in a group, culling is required, from my experience anyway.

In your opinions, which brands are best known for excellent accuracy/repeatability for target shooting at 400 fps and higher?
Yes, I realize the shooter has a lot to do with accuracy as well, of course, but I would like to try some arrows that don't require me to spend so much time testing/culling.

Spine Indexing eliminates culling. I buy my arrows weight and spine matched from Jerry and Eric at Southshore Archery. Every arrow hits the same point of impact out of the box. I find over time, I mean hundreds of shots, the spine will change. Then I start rotating the nock looking for the sweet spot. Sometimes rotating the nock works perfect, sometimes and arrow is to broken down to salvage and it gets relegated to a practice arrow or one that I use on close targets when I am shooting with a group of people. Hopefully Jerry or Tryinghard archer will be along to delve into the subject deeper.

·
Registered
837 Posts
BEE = Black Eagle Executioners
Stiffer is better
Black Eagle Zombie Slayers
Spynal Tapp custom arrows, IMO, are as good as it gets.

·
Registered
281 Posts
'Cyclic fatigue can be defined as the stress, strain, and deformation induced in a material by cyclic loading. Cyclic fatigue life is the number of loading cycles which produce a rupture or breakage in the material.'

So yes, stuff subjected to cyclic loading can & will change at some point.

However, I would think the number of loading cycles required to make an arrow or spring or rifle barrel suffer a rupture or breakage in material. would be pretty high. I wouldn't think you could change an arrow in a couple hundred shots (cycles) - but it sounds like a great experiment - one I'll admit I've certainly never tried.

You would think that shooting an arrow at 400 fps would get it to Cyclic fatigue life quicker than shooting that same arrow at 300 fps.

While I've never been a high volume shooter, I have managed to get many arrows to not fly the same as they did before. But in every case, I would attribute that to 'deformation' of the arrow due to an 'event', such as: slightly hit it with another arrow aiming at same spot, missed target & arrow hitting who knows what in the ground or by actually running it through a game animal.

Most of the time the arrow had no visual defect. I just accepted that something changed - some slight breakage or minor change that = doesn't fly like it used to.

While I've never keep track, a significant percentage of arrows I've used to kill game, didn't fly the same afterwords. Almost always with no visual defects on the arrow or broadhead. But many times changing the broad head fixed it, but not always.

And one might think that a very stiff arrow would last longer than one that is less stiff, but it could turn out to be just the opposite.

·
971 Posts
Honestly I have never checked to see if straightness changes, but spine absolutely does. In my opinion spine is even more important than straightness.
It’s not just the flex caused from being shot that causes this, but it’s also the impact into the target. Guys like me that shoot thousands of arrows into
3-d Targets every season will burn through arrows faster than someone shooting bag targets all the time. The harder impact on angles will break them down quicker.
Again its my opinion, but stiffer is not always better. My school of thought has always been that all the components should work together. When the spine, the FOC, the fletching, and the tune in the bow all come together you will archive the most accurate and forgiving shot.
This is all based on theories and opinions, but mine have treated me pretty well in my archery career ( both vertical and horizontal ).

·
Registered
837 Posts
Agree with mechanical fatigue of any kind induced into most any material will result in failure....BUT, in my humble opinion you will loose that arrow long before it's failure. Try this: Chuck up an arrow in a drill, spin at a low rpm much like an arrows spin rate and see when failure occurs. Report back when the drill fails.
Now for target archers who depends on perfection, the definition of failure is much different than a guy like me who hunts and practices. Competition requires many hours and thousands of shots with precision equipment.

·
Registered
112 Posts

Well some things I noticed also during my target practicing. I´m using only arrows with a 0.001" straightness. I recognized some arrows (1 of 5 or 6) group different to the others. I tried to filter these arrows by numbering and counting all my arrows. It didn´t work very well. If I found some bad and some goods, after some more rounds the result went different. So, like you said it is very difficult, in my point of view, to find and identify very clear the problem at the arrow. Especially, if you practice like me freehand.
But at least, at my freehand rounds, very often I noticed one of the arrows was out of my group, as well if I had a very tight group. Without knowing the exact reason, my shooting procedure was nearly the same, the circumstances didn´t really change (wind etc.), the results of this phenomenon is repetitive. I think, mostly I can "feel" a good and a bad shot (trigger control, circling round the center, breathing control, steadying and repeat my time lapse) but however it happened with one arrow.

I didn´t notice that my arrows are going worse in their accuracy after a lot of shots, this mean with one xbow (400 fps) and one sort of arrows in summary 1600 shots, each arrow round about 300 shots. Most of the time I´m using the same group of arrows.

·
Registered
41 Posts
There is definitely a reason to buy the best arrows you can afford and more over ones that are tuned to be in sync with the crossbow your shooting be it hunting or target shooting .

I've found keeping one new arrow only to be fired for reference , that I shoot off a bench at one easy pull out target that I don't move in distance or hight , works best in finding out if you , the crossbow ,or arrow's are the cause of irratic POI.
and most times it's individual arrows that cause the problem

It's just the nature of the game , every time you shoot an arrow you introduce a possible reason for it to be less accurate

·
Registered
837 Posts
It's just the nature of the game , every time you shoot an arrow you introduce a possible reason for it to be less accurate
Another reason to select good targets that result in easy post shot removal. IME, the forces applied to the arrows during removal from some targets create far more damaging forces than the shot itself. Another reason to apply a non binding agent of choice to the arrows front prior to shooting. Fit, Form and Function of the arrow is not compromised during the shot, post shot impacts are all different depending on the shooters decision making. My opinion only.

·
Premium Member
1,128 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
BEE = Black Eagle Executioners
Stiffer is better
Black Eagle Zombie Slayers
Spynal Tapp custom arrows, IMO, are as good as it gets.
Where does one get these Spynal Tapp custom arrows from?
Thanks Generator..

·
Registered
837 Posts
Tapp Nation Archery, do a Google search, use their website or call and discuss your needs with Eric or Jerry.

·
Premium Member
1,128 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Tapp Nation Archery, do a Google search, use their website or call and discuss your needs with Eric or Jerry.
Awesome, will do.
Thank you Generator!
Cheers,
dynamo61

·
Registered
112 Posts
There is definitely a reason to buy the best arrows you can afford and more over ones that are tuned to be in sync with the crossbow your shooting be it hunting or target shooting .

I've found keeping one new arrow only to be fired for reference , that I shoot off a bench at one easy pull out target that I don't move in distance or hight , works best in finding out if you , the crossbow ,or arrow's are the cause of irratic POI.
and most times it's individual arrows that cause the problem

Thanks for your good advises. I tried that way, the result was not constantly the same. One reason maybe my unprofessional bench rest. A carpet roll on a table. I have to optimize.
Basically you are right, 9 of 10 and more times the shooter is the reason for a bad shot. But the 10th looks like a mystery, sometimes 🤔

·
Premium Member
1,128 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Awesome, will do.
Thank you Generator!
Cheers,
dynamo61
OK, tried ordering from the website but did not understand some of the selections.
Sent an email to Tapp Nation stating we would like to try their Spynal Tapps for target shooting.
Let's see what they say.

·
Registered
672 Posts
You could try a phone call also. Jerry has spent a lot of time on the phone with folks here to make sure they what they were looking for.

·
Registered
390 Posts

Nocks wear and will affect accuracy also.

·
Premium Member
1,128 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
You could try a phone call also. Jerry has spent a lot of time on the phone with folks here to make sure they what they were looking for.
Yes I wanted to but was at work and could not afford to make the time to get into a long phone conversation.
If I don't hear back by Tuesday, I will call them.
BTW, anyone know the Member here who represents the Tapp Nation and Spynal Tapps?

Nocks wear and will affect accuracy also.
That makes sense, thanks HunterB.
:)

1 - 20 of 27 Posts