Crossbow Nation banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was testing some Bemans Thunderbolts arrows at 30 yards off a rest.
Shooting a loonie, no problem. So my scope is setup. So I start shooting one without the fleching. Not I am to the right 7-8" and 1" low. The 7-8" to the right would be caused the cross wind but the 1" low is what I am wondering about.
I also shot a easton XX75 2219 arrow without fleching and it is about 6 low but only off to the right 4".
The Beman with a 125g tip overall is 420g.
The Easton with a 100g tip overall is 420. Both no fleching.
All are 20" long.
Why such a difference in point of impact?

·
Administrator
6,085 Posts
My guess is that they a spined different. Meaning at the release of the string when the load is transfered to the arrow, one is flexing more than the other, as a result creating a difference in the point of impact. They also have different front of centers which will effect the spine of an arrow. Hope that made a little sense to you.
PS. For those that don't know what a loonie is, it is a Canadian one dollar coin.

·
665 Posts
could be the wall thickness/mass of arrow even thought they weight the same

also could be the diameter difference

·
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The FOC is very close about within 1/2" or less. But I think the XX79 2219 is a
stiffer arrow than the carbon Beman.
I am going to compare with both types fletched.

·
211 Posts
I'm not sure why your shooting low, and I'd have to look up the spline of both arrows to get an answer as to the difference, but one thing I'd keep in mind even though you think the two are realitively the same is that bemans inserts weigh around 45gr, 2219's about 28gr, that means you have roughly 170gr at the front of the beman arrow which would put the shaft weight at around 250gr(roughly), the 2219 has a front end weight of around 128gr which would put the shaft weight at around 292gr, adding/removing front end weigh will greatly effect spline/arrow flight and I see quite a bit of difference between those two arrows even without knowing the spline difference, in fact, given the bemans lighter shaft weight and the higher insert/tip weight I actually find it hard to believe that the FOC is that close between them...
but again, I dont know what the spline of each arrow is without looking it up and to really give a good quess as to "why" you'd really have to know that...

one thing you could do is shoot through some paper(like you would to paper tune a vertical bow), how they go through paper should give you a rough quess as to if one is splined alot more/less than the other

·
11,411 Posts
So I understand you correctly

Shooting an arrow WITHOUT the fletching? Planing quickly becomes a factor as the arrow is not rotating and has nothing on th erear to guide it. The last part of the arrow touching the deck is the rear of the arrow and that is just enough to give the rear of the arrow an upward tick resulting in the arrow hitting low in the target.............................I think:D Mine do the same thing out of most every crossbow I've tried it in (hitting low at 20 to 30 yards with no fletching)

·
38 Posts
I must be missing something. Why shoot without fletching?
I know a vert bow can benefit from tuning, and an unfletched shaft can tell what can be improved on, but what is the point/reason with a crossbow?

·
11,411 Posts
I did it out of curiosity

Just to see what would happen. I'm crazy like that:D

·
Obsessed Huntress
5,583 Posts
Okay. Since ya'll gave all the good answers already, I have to say this. I always thought a Loonie was referring to Butchs Canadian 2nd ex wife. Maybe that was a Toonie? Thanks for sharing UB. Giggling!
No, really. Welcome to the site. Good to see you here and asking questions. Looking forward to seeing more postings from you. Send pictures! Obviously, I'm trying to help by playing comic relief today since you already have good info here.

·
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
You got it Moonkryket. Trying to see what will hapen and why.

Guide Girl a Toonie is a just little bigger than a Loonie but worth twice as much.
:):)

·
Obsessed Huntress
5,583 Posts
hikerman said:
You got it Moonkryket. Trying to see what will hapen and why.

Guide Girl a Toonie is a just little bigger than a Loonie but worth twice as much.
:):)
Worth twice as much? No! She's definitely a Loonie then. Just thinking Toonie since she was ex wife #2. Example: Would you let your ex wife ask to move in with ya'll so you could be one big happy family? Guess what my answer was?

Yep, I agree, I'm the experimental kind myself. Someone's gotta do it. Otherwise, who's gonna tell you "Don't try this .... at home boys and girls" when it goes bad.

·
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hey,someone has to be first Guide Girl.
:ack2:

Fletch those 2219's, three with 2" vains, 100g tips (438g total) & three with 5" vains, 100g tips (434g total). Shot at 20, 30 & 40 yards. Bemans with 2" blazers, 125g tip (441g total) also.

They all fly about the same. I liked the 2219 with the 2" vains the best, they had tighter grouping. With the carbons I will touch the bullseye but with the 2219's I am in it.

I like 2" vains better also, tighter groups.

My set up this fall will be 2219, 2" vains and montec G5 broad heads. That combo flew the best today.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Do broadheads have an offset? What happens if you shoot with no vanes and a broadhead (Montec G5). Will your arrow spin? I always wondered and this is the place to ask!!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts