Crossbow Nation banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know that in guns it's all gun/barrel is different so each one likes a particular bullet, ammo, powder, etc. But with bows is that the same rule?

What I mean is say you have 4 arrows that all shoot exactly the same POI from 10-50 yards. Those arrows would be a group that shoot the same. So then can you assume that the exact same 4 arrows from a different bow will still all group together? I know that your POI will change but could it make 1 arrow be a flyer or now those 4 arrows won't group together from that particular bow?

·
Registered
2,644 Posts
Different bow brands have minds of their own....especially farther than 40 yrds....

Or are you talking about 2 identical but different bows?

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Completely different bows my question. Guess a better way to put it is say at 50 yards you have 4 arrows that are legitimate robin hooders in brand X bow. And you take the same arrows and shoot them in brand Y bow are the still gonna be robin hooders. Let's assume that both brand X and Y bows are capable of the same accuracy.

·
Registered
39 Posts
They can be different bow to bow.

I have a shadow Nxt. The ten point pro-elites and evo x arrows I’ve tried group badly. However, I have South shore arrows that do a 1 inch group at 40 yards.

My daughter has a wicked ridge warrior lite shooting about 40 FPS less in which I can group the same evo x arrows in a 1 inch group at 40 yards and the pro elites in a two inch group.

I have heard that higher speeds also can be a factor with some arrows, mayb

·
2,875 Posts
Only way to know is test them. In my xbows they probably would not group the same.
100% spot on. Both of my hunting recurves will put Spynal Tapps, BEEs, Bloodsports, or Gold tips in the same tight poi (I don’t shoot groups). Another crossbow I have will shoot each arrow type fairly well, but the poi for the different types is several inches apart. Best to shoot and “develop a load” for each crossbow.

·
Registered
1,850 Posts
Completely different bows my question. Guess a better way to put it is say at 50 yards you have 4 arrows that are legitimate robin hooders in brand X bow. And you take the same arrows and shoot them in brand Y bow are the still gonna be robin hooders. Let's assume that both brand X and Y bows are capable of the same accuracy.
In my opinion the only way two different crossbows will shoot the same 4 arrows the same (same hole) to 40 yards is:

• if the two crossbows are set up the same.
  • Meaning with same scopes which are perfect aligned
  • both with risers perfectly aligned in plane with rail and scope
  • both with perfect cam timing (the same)
  • and both zeroed at the particular yardage at which the comparison are conducted
  • same shooter for both crossbows ( eye must be positioned to the scope perfectly)
  • both must me cocked the same
  • both shot from the same bench rest
  • no wind
  • then there will still be some variation
  • how much the same is considered the same....same hole?
What did I miss?

·
Registered
232 Posts
I know that in guns it's all gun/barrel is different so each one likes a particular bullet, ammo, powder, etc. But with bows is that the same rule?

What I mean is say you have 4 arrows that all shoot exactly the same POI from 10-50 yards. Those arrows would be a group that shoot the same. So then can you assume that the exact same 4 arrows from a different bow will still all group together? I know that your POI will change but could it make 1 arrow be a flyer or now those 4 arrows won't group together from that particular bow?
My comments are based on indexed, spine and weight matched arrows

There are shops that will try to convince you that a particular arrow will work on bow A but bow B likes a different arrow

That is nothing more than nonsense

Currently the stiffest single wall shaft on the market is the black eagle zombie and south shore spynal which is made from zombie carbon

They will work on any bow on the market

Accuracy is having matched arrows not matching arrows to bows

Some bows may require a different technique of shooting which requires the shooter to adapt

Just because you can drill hole in hole at 40 yard with one bow but another bow is not as accurate does not mean it likes one arrow better than another

It means the arrows are not built correctly or the archer can shoot one better than the other

Reactions: CarJunkieLS1

·
Registered
2,644 Posts
The accuracy of a certain arrow is not what hes asking Jerry. Read op again. I agree with your arrow analogy but the best arrrows out there WILL shoot different from different bows...

·
Registered
232 Posts
The accuracy of a certain arrow is not what hes asking Jerry. Read op again. I agree with your arrow analogy but the best arrrows out there WILL shoot different from different bows...
I understand what he is saying

I'm saying that if an archer can shoot a 1 in group at 60 yards then put those same arrows on another bow he/she can expect the arrows to shoot the same group size from that bow or any bow he/she tries the arrows on

If they don't group the same then its the archer or the bow its not the arrows.

I believe the theory that one crossbow likes a specific arrow over another is 100% wrong

Arrows do not lose or gain accuracy, they have no moving parts

In vertical bows spine can be critical, in crossbows too weak is critical but there is no such thing as too stiff

Reactions: CarJunkieLS1

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
That answers my question perfectly thank you Jerry. So sounds like the same arrows I got from you last year will shoot great for me in my new bow.

·
Registered
13,331 Posts
That answers my question perfectly thank you Jerry. So sounds like the same arrows I got from you last year will shoot great for me in my new bow.
If your new bow is set up and tuned correctly...….yes!

·
Registered
1,850 Posts
Yeah! You think my Ripper 415 and Horton Legend SL would both hit tge bulls eyes at 40 with the same arrow? Maybe if I checked my Legend zero because I haven't shot it in months. Is it worth the effort? 🎯 :unsure:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts