Crossbow Nation banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just when I thought I ran every test I could with my arrow set up to determine how it would react to certain outside elements like wind, rain and snow I accidentally came across another.
I was shooting 50 yard groups just for fun and on one shot I was a bit off my shooting line and after I released the arrow I noticed it buzzed clean through a small cedar branch, lots of bits and chunks fell from the tree as it passed through. I thought my arrow was gone for good. When I got to the bag I was surprised to see my arrow went exactly where I aimed it. So, of course I had to shoot a few more through the overhanging branch just to see what would happen, and no arrows were diverted.
This contradicts what I have always read, and assumed. The cuttings I picked up are very small and apparently almost insignificant. But I would have expected a significant change in POI, instead there was none.. The tree was 12 yards in to my 50 yard shot.

Incidentally the wife seen me doing this, watched me for a few minutes through the window then opened the window and yelled "it's going to take you all week to trim that tree at that rate":rolleyes:

·
Registered
4 Posts
Missed a ten point buck in December when my arrow hit a small branch about 10 yds in front of him and stuck in the ground just missing his front hoove. Shot looked clear when I took it. After the miss I back tracked because I thought their was no way I could have missed. Found one horizontal branch about 3/8" in diameter cut and hanging about 10 yds in front of where the buck was standing and my arrow stuck in the ground right behind a hoove print where he dug into the ground when he took off for the next county. I had been hunting this buck since October and been busted twice by him. This was my last crack at him before the season end. I still can't believe the deflection on a 37 yd chip shot.

·
Registered
4 Posts
The other side is almost a mirror of the one you can see but missing that short point near the end. I wasn't counting that point. Counting it he has 11.He has a bigger brother that is a 12 point and I believe this one will be a twelve hopfully this year. So maybe I was meant to miss him so he can get bigger and smarter like his brother. I had their dad at 15 yds. but last year (2006) he was wounded and this year he had a perfect 6 point beam on one side and the opposite was small and only 3 points. When I had the shot the smaller beam had been broken off at the scull so I let him walk. Hopfully he will be a 12 again this year. But he is quite old and big. The first time I saw him was 2002 and he was a big eight point about 3 or 4. He must be 10 or eleven years old now. The cool part is the big doe that I never shoot and have been watching since 2000 when she was a fawn, had twin bucks last year and they are hanging around the feeder. It is cool to watch them grow up. I don't hunt the feeder, it is a no hunt area I call the sanctuary just for scouting purposes and to keep the big momma in the area.

Unfortunately the pic doesn't do him justice especially after his injury last year.

·
Incurable Tinkerer
5,031 Posts
Nice pictures and great biography of your herd. I've watched several deer grow up. Several years ago a doe had her first fawn on my rifle range behind the house. She stayed close for several years then met her demise at the hands of the "brown is down" gang across the lake.
Unfortunately, the buck that was wounded is not likely to regrow that antler to match the original. At his age he's going downhill and not likely to be as big as he was last year. Seems that bad injuries affect the antler on the opposite side usually for life. Had a big ten pointer hit by a car several years ago. He survived but the opposite side antler was deformed thereafter.

·
8,999 Posts
Wildcatter ... should get a kick out of this "oldest thread on CN".... LOL The guy might have married the greatest woman on earth with her sense of humor!!!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts